Introducing myself...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2017, 10:36 PM
RE: Introducing myself...
(23-07-2017 05:18 AM)MorningStar Wrote:  Hello!

I live the the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I teach chemistry at a local community college. Married for 27 (mostly wonderful) years. Along with my wife, I live with my two sons (who are still in college), two border collies, two cats and one noisy, messy cockatiel. We used to have a rabbit, but.....prey animal, ya know. Hobbies included photography/astrophotography and pointless philosophical discussions...heh. I'm also a substandard speller in relation to my education level....so I'll go ahead and apologize for that right now.

I am a theist. I fully understand that this is a faith-based position. I cannot provide "proof" of the existence of God. Furthermore, I don't believe that logical proof, within this understandable universe, is possible. Oddly, perhaps, I believe this fact is one of the strongest lines of "evidence" for a God (kinda along the lines of Godel's incompleteness theorems). I believe in a personal God that knows of my existence, just as I know (as much as I can perceive and understand) of the existence of His/Her/Its creations. I believe there are many ways to "hear" God, but that the best known method to date is the scientific method. I believe it is arrogant (and absurdly irrational) to believe I'm anywhere close to understanding the full nature of God...or that it is possible for me or any other being to do so. Hence, I believe it is arrogant (and absurdly irrational) to try and judge God's character, purpose, sense of justice, etc. based on human understandings. However, I do believe we can know more and more of God's nature. Lastly, what God says to me in a spiritual/philosophical sense, He/She/It says to me alone...likewise for others. I can and should share my interpretations.....but I'm quite sure that my interpretations are hopelessly flawed, and in no way should ever be presented to another as Truth.

In my opinion, atheists also hold a faith-based belief in the non-existence of God. I'm here to learn more about this position and to challenge my own beliefs. I'm certainly not here to convince atheists that they are wrong or to de-deconvert others, heh.

I'm looking forward to many enlightening engagements within this community, which is part of the Great I Am.

You're mistaken about atheism being a faith based enterprise. You can make that claim in relation to those atheists who claim to have evidence there is no god, but those of us who merely do not believe in that which has neither been adequately defined nor demonstrated are immune from that charge.

From your position as a theist the question whether a god exists may seem very urgent. I can assure you that from my perspective it isn't so at all. At best I am mildly interested in an anthropological sense what gods are and in what sense they exist for believers, but in the absence of any good reason to think otherwise I naturally assume what you all believe so fervently is entirely a psychic or cultural phenomenon.

Like you, I do not claim to have any proof that gods are as I assume. But of course I do not believe there are cosmic wide centers of intentionality whipping things into being from nothing and then focussing exclusively on one of three chimpanzee cousin-species on one planet in all that cosmos. Uh .. no, of course I don't believe that because it seems on the face of it ridiculous.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
23-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Welcome. I don't care what you believe or what you think I or anyone else on this forum believe. I don't mean that in a snide or contemptuous way. I'm really just here to make inappropriate jokes from the peanut gallery. Cheers!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
24-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Welcome Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2017, 01:43 AM
[Image: giphy.gif]

Welcome! Big Grin

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
24-07-2017, 02:34 AM
Welcome Smile

Out of interest, why are you doing this research now? Did something change? After all you've been a theist for so long. Why is now the time to challenge yourself?

Hope you enjoy your stay Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Howdy Morningstar. I'm new here too, it seems to be a very interesting place to hang out.
24-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Hi, and welcome! Should be interesting. Tongue
24-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Welcome to TTA, MorningStar.

(23-07-2017 05:18 AM)MorningStar Wrote:  I am a theist. I fully understand that this is a faith-based position. I cannot provide "proof" of the existence of God. Furthermore, I don't believe that logical proof, within this understandable universe, is possible.
Logical proof of God? Or logical proof, period?

If the latter, I think you're wrong, and I'll gladly argue the point with you in an appropriate thread (not here in the "Intros"). Just say when. Smile

Quote:In my opinion, atheists also hold a faith-based belief in the non-existence of God. I'm here to learn more about this position and to challenge my own beliefs.
The position is a straw man, since that's not what "atheism" means.
I'll be happy to argue that point with you, also; also elsewhere.

Quote:I'm looking forward to many enlightening engagements within this community, which is part of the Great I Am.

I'll be watching for your threads. Yes

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
30-07-2017, 03:41 PM
I hope we didn't scare MorningStar away.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
30-07-2017, 03:45 PM
(30-07-2017 03:41 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I hope we didn't scare MorningStar away.

Out of 20 theists, only one comes with the genuine intention to stay *and* listen/discuss/engage in honest conversation.

Which is why I'm rarely holding my breath when one shows up, no matter how good a talk they talk.

Always happy to be proven wrong.

Haven't been so far.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post