Introducing myself...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2017, 03:50 PM
RE: Introducing myself...
(30-07-2017 03:45 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 03:41 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I hope we didn't scare MorningStar away.

Out of 20 theists, only one comes with the genuine intention to stay *and* listen/discuss/engage in honest conversation.

Which is why I'm rarely holding my breath when one shows up, no matter how good a talk they talk.

Always happy to be proven wrong.

Haven't been so far.

Yep, I checked the stats before posting that and the last time MorningStar was online here was five days ago. Clearly a well educated theist, so I am disappointed. I was looking forward to some *spirited* exchanges.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
30-07-2017, 03:58 PM
(30-07-2017 03:50 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I was looking forward to some *spirited* exchanges.
Hehe, good one.

And yeah, I'd tone down the expectations, if I were you. Unless you like disappointments Tongue Especially on the ones who come all, I'm so tolerant and genuinely curious and all that fake shit.

In my experience, the ones who actually do want to talk and don't have some hidden agenda, are people who come without making a big show of how they are theists, but *not* the mean, bigoted kind, no sirree. The genuine ones come and act like any other new member - get to know people, post here, there and everywhere, on a variety of topics, instead of charging in on their hobby horse, more often than, all condescending and shit...

So yeah, don't 'spect much when you see a theist saunter in. *Especially* if they make a show of how different they are from the other theists and how they are here to learn and listen. Nine out of ten (more like 99 out of 100) are lying, to themselves or to us, not sure.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
31-07-2017, 12:32 AM
(30-07-2017 03:58 PM)Vera Wrote:  So yeah, don't 'spect much when you see a theist saunter in. *Especially* if they make a show of how different they are from the other theists and how they are here to learn and listen. Nine out of ten (more like 99 out of 100) are lying, to themselves or to us, not sure.

I can remember a couple who did make a bit of a theist-splash landing, and who did turn out to be genuine. KC is one of them. Aliza never made a big deal out of her religion IIRC, Shai Hulud the same. That other guy who came back recently too, he was verrry religious when he first arrived here, but was always fairly civil and obviously thought about stuff. So they do exist.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-07-2017, 12:37 AM
(30-07-2017 03:50 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 03:45 PM)Vera Wrote:  Out of 20 theists, only one comes with the genuine intention to stay *and* listen/discuss/engage in honest conversation.

Which is why I'm rarely holding my breath when one shows up, no matter how good a talk they talk.

Always happy to be proven wrong.

Haven't been so far.

Yep, I checked the stats before posting that and the last time MorningStar was online here was five days ago. Clearly a well educated theist, so I am disappointed. I was looking forward to some *spirited* exchanges.

I was hoping for at least a definition of God, so that these scientific claims can be put into context.

I've noticed many theists are not used to being asked to think about what God actually is.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
31-07-2017, 12:44 AM
(31-07-2017 12:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  That other guy who came back recently too, he was verrry religious when he first arrived here, but was always fairly civil and obviously thought about stuff. So they do exist.

Who he? Ideasonscribe?

(Wasn't here when KC joined, so no clue how it went)

But if that's all we've got to show for in all that time... the numbers are even more abysmal than I thought Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
31-07-2017, 12:48 AM
(31-07-2017 12:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 12:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  That other guy who came back recently too, he was verrry religious when he first arrived here, but was always fairly civil and obviously thought about stuff. So they do exist.

Who he? Ideasonscribe?

But if that's all we've got to show for in all that time... the numbers are even more abysmal than I thought Rolleyes

Yeah, Ideasonscribe. There may have been more, just those two I remember.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-07-2017, 09:03 AM
(31-07-2017 12:37 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've noticed many theists are not used to being asked to think about what God actually is.

They're conditioned to perceive it as an insult. How dare you say "what" and not "who." Most sincere, non-sarcastic questions that you can ask a believer are guaranteed to be taken as insults. "Do you really think Jesus walked on water?" "STOP CALLING ME STUPID!"
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
31-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Welcome aboard. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
31-07-2017, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2017 10:42 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Dismissing an incoherent, absurd notion (the gods) is no more a "faith based position" than your dismissal of the existence of Pink Sparkly Unicorns.
Saying that it is, is a demand (a priori), that your faith based position be recognized as valid, equivalent and meritorious, (before examination).

There is no need to take ANY position with respect to an idea that is incoherent, (the gods), and undefined concepts.

Welcome.
If you learn nothing else here, maybe you'll learn many non-believers have moved WAY beyond these "beginner" useless notions, and stop defining for others how they think, categorizing people in your categories, to make your views look more intelligent. A god that is "a person" is not another person, thus refutes any claims to anything "infinite", or it would be all persons. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Hello fellow theist!! I'm contractually obligated happy to give you the benefit of the doubt on not logging in for a few days, life happens. (Hope you don't mind the strikethrough joke.) Welcome aboard!

Though it seems Vera has unintentionally stolen my line on the standard advice I try to give to new theists, which I believe, Aliza gave to me in some form. Yes Try to stick to the non-controversial parts of the board at first and get to know folks, rather than diving right into the deep end of things like Atheism and Theism. We're all just people here, and more than the sum total of our religious beliefs or lack there of. Plus, when you do decide to go into the deep end, it shows that you're there for more than just a fight or to try to say "checkmate atheists", but that you view yourself as part of the community, rather than an adversarial position. Just my two cents though, and hoping you enjoy your time here! Smile

(31-07-2017 12:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  

Who he? Ideasonscribe?

For some reason my sleepy brain went full Ralph Wiggum "I'm an Abysmal!". I need caffeine or soon I'll be saying "hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!". Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post