Introducing myself, saying hello.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2015, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2015 11:35 AM by DLJ.)
Introducing myself, saying hello.
Hi, I'm Lori.

I have been an atheist most of my life, since I was old enough to start thinking for myself and read my first Carl Sagan book, the Cosmic Connection. It must have been when I was about 9 years old.

I've never kept it a secret but also I have never been vocal about it, "live and let live". Recently however I have noticed a growing number of times in my daily life when people have inserted their religious beliefs into a conversation, into the workplace, or at the bottom of an email, etc. and it bugs me.

The violence I see daily based on religious beliefs is seeming to increase and in the United States religious is causing people to propose ridiculous policies and legislation.

So, now at age 45 I have decided that perhaps I need to be more active in my support of science and reason. I have been a police officer for 17 years, a profession in which our work must be based on objective reasoning, non-biased interaction with citizens, impartiality during investigations, and neutrality. We base investigative outcomes on facts, evidence, truth and provability. We must be able to substantiate something in a logical manner in order to determine "what happened" and who, if anyone should be arrested.

I am quite frankly dumbfounded to find out many of my co-workers are deeply religious, even holding the title of minister or preacher when off duty. What? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I am also a huge animal lover and live on a ranch with horses, dogs, cats, goats, and pigs. I love science fact and science fiction. I enjoy stories and movies about the supernatural, magic, superheroes but I DON'T BELIEVE THEY'RE REAL! I love to read, study languages, horseback ride and hike with my dogs and husband of 8 years.

I love the Thinking Atheist Podcasts and its nice to listen to Seth and his guest speak in the language of reason.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Loriana12's post
28-02-2015, 11:36 AM
RE: Introducing myself, saying hello.
Welcome aboard.

Pleased to meet you. Smile

Find all posts by this user
28-02-2015, 11:38 AM
(28-02-2015 11:24 AM)Loriana12 Wrote:  Hi, I'm Lori.

I have been an atheist most of my life, since I was old enough to start thinking for myself and read my first Carl Sagan book, the Cosmic Connection. It must have been when I was about 9 years old.

I've never kept it a secret but also I have never been vocal about it, "live and let live". Recently however I have noticed a growing number of times in my daily life when people have inserted their religious beliefs into a conversation, into the workplace, or at the bottom of an email, etc. and it bugs me.

The violence I see daily based on religious beliefs is seeming to increase and in the United States religious is causing people to propose ridiculous policies and legislation.

So, now at age 45 I have decided that perhaps I need to be more active in my support of science and reason. I have been a police officer for 17 years, a profession in which our work must be based on objective reasoning, non-biased interaction with citizens, impartiality during investigations, and neutrality. We base investigative outcomes on facts, evidence, truth and provability. We must be able to substantiate something in a logical manner in order to determine "what happened" and who, if anyone should be arrested.

I am quite frankly dumbfounded to find out many of my co-workers are deeply religious, even holding the title of minister or preacher when off duty. What? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I am also a huge animal lover and live on a ranch with horses, dogs, cats, goats, and pigs. I love science fact and science fiction. I enjoy stories and movies about the supernatural, magic, superheroes but I DON'T BELIEVE THEY'RE REAL! I love to read, study languages, horseback ride and hike with my dogs and husband of 8 years.

I love the Thinking Atheist Podcasts and its nice to listen to Seth and his guest speak in the language of reason.

Welcome. Jump in with both feet.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Welcome

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
28-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Hi Lori, welcome to the forum.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
28-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Welcome.

I've often cringed at LEO's injecting their religion into their law enforcement. The scariest guy on the planet is somebody with just a little bit of power and grand delusions of being "on board God's team".

I'm betting you've seen it a time or thirty yourself....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-02-2015, 02:21 PM
[Image: giphy_zpsty1mslou.gif]
28-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Welcome and pull up a chair.

I once called in a patrol car for having a Jesus plate, I felt certain that wasn't allowed, they said at the station they'd look into it. Shit like that really worries me.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce