Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 01:44 PM by DLJ.)
Introduction
Hello everyone!

As you can see from my name, I am a hidden atheist.

I'm 17 years old and have identified myself as an atheist for a little over a year.

I grew up in a Christian household my entire life and until the beginning of March 2013, I had completely accepted without a doubt that I was in the one true religion. I started questioning at the age of 15 in the beginning of March and came out an atheist by the end of August.

Listening and watching hundreds of videos helped me come to the realization that there is no evidence in support for the God I previously believed in.

I'm currently not able, or not willing to come out to my family and friends and I want to finally have a place to hang out and not feel completely alone.

No one knows of my atheism and I'm not sure how long that will last exactly, but hopefully I will be able to get encouragement and support as the weeks and months go by.

I'm excited to finally get involved in the conversation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Hidden Atheist's post
02-02-2015, 01:45 PM
RE: Introduction
Happy you found us.

Feel free to join any conversation that grabs your attention.

Welcome to TTA.

Smile

02-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
02-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Hello! Big Grin
02-02-2015, 05:46 PM
(02-02-2015 01:38 PM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  Hello everyone!

As you can see from my name, I am a hidden atheist.

I'm 17 years old and have identified myself as an atheist for a little over a year.

I grew up in a Christian household my entire life and until the beginning of March 2013, I had completely accepted without a doubt that I was in the one true religion. I started questioning at the age of 15 in the beginning of March and came out an atheist by the end of August.

Listening and watching hundreds of videos helped me come to the realization that there is no evidence in support for the God I previously believed in.

I'm currently not able, or not willing to come out to my family and friends and I want to finally have a place to hang out and not feel completely alone.

No one knows of my atheism and I'm not sure how long that will last exactly, but hopefully I will be able to get encouragement and support as the weeks and months go by.

I'm excited to finally get involved in the conversation.

Dear Hidden Atheist,
during my youth my situation was quite similar to yours.
I had long discussions with my mother, and of course she felt that I was drifting away from religion. She was clearly disappointed, but on the other hand she never gave me the feeling that I lost her love.
The situation changed for me at the university: there it was easy to speak free and to find open minded friends.
Now we have internet, and this for sure can help you in your situation.
But my feeling is, sooner or later one has to be honest and should stand to the own position - trying not to offend the others, which naturally can be very difficult.

Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true.
Thomas Paine
02-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Welcome to TTA, THA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Welcome aboard.
02-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Greetings, lad.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
04-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Introduction
Hey man I'd just let them know. They'll still love u. At least that's what happened with my family. You're not alone there's tons of people who think the same thing. Now a days it's not even a big deal at all, I even poke fun at them w one liners if I can fit em in. "Nah I'm not interested in having an imaginary friend" lol Peace!

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
04-02-2015, 08:53 AM
I was lucky in that no one in my [immediate] family cares, but I know this is not the case for everyone. Work on your own timeframe. In the meantime, welcome!

Celebrate Reason ‚óŹ Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user