Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2015, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 09:56 PM by Bethany311.)
Introduction
Hello, everyone! My name is Bethany and I live in Michigan. I found this site by way of Seth Andrews' "Deconverted" book, which I picked up on the Kindle marketplace just last night and have already almost finished - much of it feels like it was written about my own experiences. It's nice to have a place to converse with like-minded people, although it has been a long time since I've subscribed to any kind of an online forum.

I grew up in a non-denominational Christian home. My dad was a youth pastor in the church that I grew up attending. I was taught and believed factual stories like Noah's Ark and the events surrounding the Tower of Babel and human language.

I was home schooled for most of middle and high school, but begged my way in to the public high school for my senior year in order to have some social interaction. I have a lot of resentment over having been home schooled that I'm still trying to work my way through, years later.

I consider myself an atheist now. I'm actually fascinated by the psychology of religion, and have done a lot of reading about various religions. I was so sheltered that I never really considered how tightly other people held on to their own belief systems if/when they were different than my own. I have read the Bible from cover to cover more than once, but never REALLY studied it until I was free of the "just gotta have faith" mentality.

I'm currently trying to decide how much to talk to my eight year-old daughter about it. She has been given pretty much every Veggie Tales episode that exists by family and is invited to church festivals and things by friends at school. My explanation to her thus far has been pretty straightforward: that the church will tell her that certain things are true for a fact when I don't believe that they are and that I would want the chance to talk about those things with her. I've told her that I will take her to a church activity when she's older if she really wants to go, but I've decided for myself that there's absolutely no way that I would allow it until she's old enough that she doesn't believe in Santa Claus and the likes. I went to Awana, Pioneer Club (Christian version of the scouts), and other things like that in my youth, and I know that they really like young, impressionable minds.

I'm looking forward to interacting on this site. Have a great day, everyone! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2015, 01:40 PM
RE: Introduction
Welcome Bethany!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
03-03-2015, 01:55 PM
welcome...

Are you a Yupper or a troll????

(troll in michigan isn't the same as a troll on the internet)

Troll here...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-03-2015, 02:28 PM
(03-03-2015 01:55 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  welcome...

Troll here...

Ha - thank you! I'm a troll... right in the middle of the mitten. It's a lovely day here - snow, freezing rain, sleet mix. Smile
03-03-2015, 04:19 PM
(03-03-2015 02:28 PM)Bethany311 Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 01:55 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  welcome...

Troll here...

Ha - thank you! I'm a troll... right in the middle of the mitten. It's a lovely day here - snow, freezing rain, sleet mix. Smile

Yup same here NW of Kalamazoo..... I'm soooooo ready for winter to be over..... The profit motive helps.... (I do maple syrup)...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Welcome, please let me know if you have any questions, I can point you to some here who have a nugget of information about this and that, or provide a whimsical answer or two if prodded. Watch the vids on the hoe page, listen to the podcasts, hang out and checkout a thread or three, and there are many sources of information available.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

welcome again Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
03-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Hello! Big Grin
03-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Hello, Bethany, & welcome! Shy
See how quickly you can make biker friends here! Big Grin