Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 01:15 AM by ShellShilo.)
Rainbow Introduction
Hi, I'm Shelly. I've been an atheist since I stopped believing in Santa Clause. My problem with all religions is how do they make rational men/women behave like saints or monsters? How could any serious rational human being spend the rest of his/her life worshipping a bearded white male in pious servitude? Can a club of over 2 billion people be wrong, or are they just attention seeking, weak willed, perverted, ego and megalomaniacs, or just plain delusional? There had to be some purpose or patterns that is common in all religions. There Is!!

[list]
[*]Precepts or Doctrines are not intellectually challenging and written in story form.
[*]There is a promise of everlasting bliss or enlightenment through atonement and servitude.
[*]INTERPRETATION is just another word for truth in religious rhetoric.
[*]Being unable to prove that another dimension exist only means that it must really exist, e.g., a person on the TV screen is unaware that an audience exist.
[*]No religious elder will offer any scientific evidence for peer review, or successfully defend that evidence at any scientific convention of any discipline.
[*]Even if you are not rich or powerful, be docile and obedient. It is only when you are dead that you will be rewarded.

I suppose that if the numbers agree that SHIT is good enough to eat, there will be a new addition to the menu.: drool: It would be great if people would just come together to celebrate how incredibly lucky we are to experience life through our senses, considering all the events that could have gone wrong.:

Our society has the potential to improve so much suffering in the world, and lead the way in new research and developments, and also provide opportunities for all to reach a minimum standard of happiness and security. What we don't need is imaginary solutions to real problems. Please, don't let religion dumb us all down.: heart:: Shell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2015, 05:15 PM
RE: Introduction
welcome to the forum!!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Well said - welcome, Shelly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Rainbow RE: Introduction
(10-07-2015 05:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  welcome to the forum!!
thank you evenheathen for your comment. I will always try to reply. If we accept the idea that we are highly evolved primates, then our purpose is to survive and procreate. Anything else is either a complication, which should be avoided, or a necessity and should be embraced. Again thank you for your sincere welcome. Shell Heart
10-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Santa is not real? Weeping

Tongue welcome to the forums Shelly Smile hope you enjoy the stay. Cookies are over there.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
10-07-2015, 11:52 PM
(10-07-2015 05:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well said - welcome, Shelly.
Thank you Chas for your comments, I will always try to respond. I'm looking forward to adding my 2 cents. Thanks again. Shell Heart
11-07-2015, 12:31 AM
(10-07-2015 11:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Santa is not real? Weeping

Tongue welcome to the forums Shelly Smile hope you enjoy the stay. Cookies are over there.

Thank you for your comments JDog554. I will always try to respond. I'm looking forward towards interacting with the others. Thanks again, and sorry about the Santa Thing. Shell Heart
[+] 1 user Likes ShellShilo's post
11-07-2015, 04:27 PM
ShellShilo - I don't know if it has to do with the nature of your culture, some politeness-rules that are unfamiliar to me, or if you're some sort of advanced Turing Test bot, but when you repeat things like "I will always try to respond", or say generic and repetitive statements or your ever-present "Shell Heart" thankful ending, it sounds like you're either a bot or someone who's here to pretend to be one of us and then say/do something unkind/unethical.

I hope that is not the case, but I'm deeply curious as to why your rhetoric is so particular. Call it a hazard of entering a Skeptics' Forum.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-07-2015, 12:03 AM
(11-07-2015 04:27 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ShellShilo - I don't know if it has to do with the nature of your culture, some politeness-rules that are unfamiliar to me, or if you're some sort of advanced Turing Test bot, but when you repeat things like "I will always try to respond", or say generic and repetitive statements or your ever-present "Shell Heart" thankful ending, it sounds like you're either a bot or someone who's here to pretend to be one of us and then say/do something unkind/unethical.

I hope that is not the case, but I'm deeply curious as to why your rhetoric is so particular. Call it a hazard of entering a Skeptics' Forum.

Can we possible move past the generic repetitions/Bot/Spelling issues, and engage in a topic that is less ego gratifying and more topic focused? It is very true that this is my first forum ever, and I might find some security in these polite repetitions. The heart and rainbow gives me sense of love and freedom, and the repeated text gives the user the confidence that I will always try and respond back to him/her. But these idiosyncrasies are by no means disingenuous, or a threat to your emotional well-being, and should never distract from the central theme of the topic. However, if you are a 'Birther' or a 'Botlover', I was born of human parents (one male and one female). I have no artificial or mechanical parts (that I am aware of), and can't be disassembled and put back together again, and expect to function. My biological six senses, (the sixth, before you face palm, is called Proprioception), makes me aware of my biological existence within space-time. I try very hard to chose words and phrases that avoid ambiguity and misinterpretation to specifically attract people WHOSE motives and objectives are the same as mine. Clearly, I'm not always successful. I sincerely hope that we have settled the question of my humanism, including my idiosyncrasies, and why I will continue to make grammatical and spelling errors now and in the future. I also hope that future topics will be more fruitful and require more critical thinking. Thanks for listening. Shell Heart
12-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Hello! Big Grin