Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 05:07 PM by mes731.)
Introduction
I thought I should take a moment to introduce myself. I'm an elementary teacher in Kentucky. I've been teaching for nine years, and this profession is full of religiously minded individuals. I was excited to find the TTA community, and I'm hopeful that there are more unbelieving teachers out there.

I've been struggling with matters of faith ever sense attending Moody Bible Institute. That was about twelve years ago now. It wasn't until this past year that I came to terms with the fact that I am an atheist, and can't pretend to believe any longer. I haven't come out to anyone but my closest friend yet, but I am hoping to muster enough courage to talk to my family very soon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mes731's post
05-06-2016, 08:31 AM
RE: Introduction
Welcome! Pull up a chair and chime right in. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Welcome.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Welcome!
05-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Welcome! Glad you're here
05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
(05-06-2016 05:52 AM)mes731 Wrote:  I thought I should take a moment to introduce myself. I'm an elementary teacher in Kentucky. I've been teaching for nine years, and this profession is full of religiously minded individuals. I was excited to find the TTA community, and I'm hopeful that there are more unbelieving teacher out there.

I've been struggling with matters of faith ever sense attending Moody Bible Institute. That was about twelve years ago now. It wasn't until this past year that I came to terms with the fact that I am an atheist, and can't pretend to believe any longer. I haven't come out to anyone but my closest friend yet, but I am hoping to muster enough courage to talk to my family very soon.

Welcome aboard

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
05-06-2016, 10:48 AM
G'day, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Welcome.

(05-06-2016 05:52 AM)mes731 Wrote:  I'm an elementary teacher in Kentucky.

You have more patience than I do. The Kentucky Board of Education lives in infamy. Hopefully we can offer some relief.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
05-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Welcome!
06-06-2016, 01:22 AM
Glad you're with us. Lots to teach and lots to learn, here. I'm sure we'll benefit from your knowledge.

I'm in the "boot heel" of Missouri, where we frequently contest rural Kentucky's mastery of the "largest cluster of uneducated Christian bigots" contest.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson