Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Introduction
Greetings, everyone. I'm Belinda, and this is the last place I thought I would be. I was a devout Christian for 20 years, and was definitely vocal, using my intelligence -- or perhaps I should say numbed my intelligence -- to argue vehemently against atheists and other skeptics. I reached a point where I could not believe my own arguments, and started reading books by Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins (who I absolutely despised previous to becoming a skeptic). Ultimately, I decided that I could not continue to believe a worldview that argued the earth is 6,000 years old, and glossed over OT scripture that admonished the Israelites to kill anyone who committed blasphemy, adultery, homosexuality, heresy, or worked on the Sabbath. I could no longer take seriously people who argued that Noah's Ark actually existed. I no longer believe in an imaginary god.

The problem for me is that I've lost all my friends. I was completely immersed in the church, so all my friends are Christians. They cannot understand how I have become "deceived", and continue to send me literature to read. They have mounted a massive prayer campaign to bring me back into the fold. Regardless of these efforts they seem to think continuing to be my friend is not something that would be helpful. Therefore, I am basically without friends at the moment, and it does sadden me. Still, I feel much better having adopted a new worldview that I believe is correct, and based on reason and science.

I look forward to getting to know some of you on these forums.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Belinda's post
15-06-2016, 10:17 AM
RE: Introduction
Welcome to TTA

... and to reality.

Big Grin

15-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Welcome, and sorry that this has left you without friends. We are a friendly bunch though.
15-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Welcome....

Half the fun is trying to deconvert the ones trying to reconvert you...

You sound pretty sharp -- I'm putting my money on you....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Howdy!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
15-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Check meetup.com for local groups (either atheist/skeptic ones or just other hobbies and activities you enjoy)

http://ffrf.org/about/ffrf-chapters can get you in touch with local atheist groups
http://www.seculardirectory.org/find-a-group/ can as well
or just google 'find local atheist groups' for other options

and you can always vent here...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-06-2016, 11:24 AM
(15-06-2016 10:11 AM)Belinda Wrote:  Greetings, everyone. I'm Belinda, and this is the last place I thought I would be. I was a devout Christian for 20 years, and was definitely vocal, using my intelligence -- or perhaps I should say numbed my intelligence -- to argue vehemently against atheists and other skeptics. I reached a point where I could not believe my own arguments, and started reading books by Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins (who I absolutely despised previous to becoming a skeptic). Ultimately, I decided that I could not continue to believe a worldview that argued the earth is 6,000 years old, and glossed over OT scripture that admonished the Israelites to kill anyone who committed blasphemy, adultery, homosexuality, heresy, or worked on the Sabbath. I could no longer take seriously people who argued that Noah's Ark actually existed. I no longer believe in an imaginary god.

The problem for me is that I've lost all my friends. I was completely immersed in the church, so all my friends are Christians. They cannot understand how I have become "deceived", and continue to send me literature to read. They have mounted a massive prayer campaign to bring me back into the fold. Regardless of these efforts they seem to think continuing to be my friend is not something that would be helpful. Therefore, I am basically without friends at the moment, and it does sadden me. Still, I feel much better having adopted a new worldview that I believe is correct, and based on reason and science.

I look forward to getting to know some of you on these forums.

Your story is very similar to mine, or at least to mine at the point in my life where I first broke free of the chains of my fundamentalist upbringing. I went and got a degree in evolutionary biology/biochem, and now I just see the people who spend their lives in willful ignorance with a kind of sadness. Really, though, it's not all or even most Christians who behave like this-- just the ones who live in such insular social circles that they can pretend you're the first atheist/apostate they've ever met, and can maintain a collective identity based on rejection of people and ideas that don't conform to what they imagine the whole world to be.

Some version of this story is common to many of us, sadly, and that's part of why we have forums like this, and secularist groups in the real world.

The good news is that it gets better, once you realize that it's not really a Good Thing™ to be friends with anyone who would treat people differently based on their (harmless) beliefs. There are lots of really awesome liberal-religionists out there, and the numbers of atheists are growing as more people gain access to real information, and are able to see the fairy tales for what they are.

Welcome to TTA! Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
15-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Welcome! Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
15-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Welcome Smile I'm impressed. To make a turn around like that takes true integrity - you have to admit to yourself that you were wrong. Not many can.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí