Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Introduction
Hello Everyone.

I'm Pooka Joe.

I'm 28 and I live in the Bible belt. In my religious beliefs I've gone from Christian to Pagan to the realization that the concept of Deity was created by man. I've studied many things in between and know I have much to learn about the human mind and the world yet to go.

I don't personally hold any Religious belief, but do believe that religious practice can be beneficial and sometimes necessary to the human condition. This is to say that belief in God/s can be detrimental while the rituals and social aspects normally associated with the belief can be beneficial to building a strong community.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 05:12 PM

RE: Introduction
Hi there. I'm not really in a position where I can welcome new members, since I'm new as well. Still, welcome!

I understand what you say and I agree. But the God idea would not only be necessary to build a strong community, sometimes its necessary for oneself. I suppose it gives us the idea that something or someone controls things that we cannot control. As Grassharpper quoted Voltaire:
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him."

Enjoy your stay.
06-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Hey PookaJoe, how ya doin'. It's good to hear another perspective.

It sounds like you agree with my mom whose a Ph.D in anthropology. I don't subscribe to religious belief either, but after reading so much about the anthropological view of mankind it would be hard to argue that cultural evolution would have developed in the same way without it. Like it or not it's part of what got us to this stage. But I always argue that anything good religion can do, from this point on, could be done just as well without it--certainly without all of the untruths and hypocrisy (tradition and community are fine). There are examples where religion does some good or at least isn't harmful, but in the larger scope of humanity it seems that it is a far more divisive and destructive force than we need if we are serious about surviving as a species. That's my perspective anyway.

However there is a philosophy that suggests that religion is necessary for humans to accomplish together what they could not do alone.
There may be some truth there. I don't know. I'm hoping though, that we arrive at a point beyond that sometime in the future.
06-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Pooka!
This forum is growing like crazy Big Grin
Everybody who just welcomed you in has created an account here in the past 7 days, including myself hahaha
08-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Don't speak too soon, it can get downright slow sometimes. Everybody's probably at Farmville
playing in cartoon land.