Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Introduction
Hello, i'm 21 years old and was born and raised in a small town in Limburg, Belgium.
I've been an ahteist since i was around 14 or so... before that i just wasn't sure what to believe and didn't really care.

My family except and aunt and my grandparents are all agnostic/atheist. My aunt is a protestant christian and is really devouted into that, but she never tries to suck other people into it. I always found her a little weird. My grandmother is catholic but not to the level of calling unbelievers names, i actually don't know what she thinks about it because i never mention my atheism to her, like she almost never mentions something religious to me or anyone else. She sometimes jokes "If you do that, the dear lord will not be pleased!" and we all shrugg it off with a smile. My parents laugh at the bullshit some religious people say on television when they see it.

I was baptised in a catholic church, did my communion. I always thought it was purely for tradition everyone does, i never knew what christianity actually was untill i began reading about it. It were the only times i was in a church except for funerals and marriages. I found those church visits the most boring moments of my life. When i was young i sometimes believed in ghost stories like spirits roaming on graveyards, or that if i piss against a church wall i would get the karma of it. When i got older and began reading about christianity i really began dispising it, i got offended by the horrifying acts that were in the bible. I realised all those stories weren't true and were just there to scare people from something that doesn't exist. I found it funny how he directly got critisized so much for such a outragious article.

When i began listening to the podcasts i was shocked of the stories i heard of people getting away from religion, and who had such a unbelievable hard time from their family/friends/work... . Here in Belgium we also have our average "stupid folk" but they never get to insult your beliefs, here we just don't care about that. If you get fired in belgium for religious beliefs/sexuality, you can sue that company or work giver for lots of money, and gets turned into a nationwide scandal. I sometimes have a discussion with a religious believer, but we always keep it civilised, we never get to call names, and after the discussion we just get along like before.

In 2011 there was a storm on a festival called "Pukkelpop" wich caused 5 deaths. A few days after a religious guy made a article in a major newspaper about the disaster. He wrote in the article that the disaster was a judgement from god because he called the festival a wild drugs, sex and alcohol fest. Everyone directly called the author a cruel psychopath for calling it a justified act from god wich led to him being fired from the newspaper company and he had to publicly apoligize to the Pukkelpop victim's friends and family.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Spoon3r's post
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
RE: Introduction
That's quite an intro!

Welcome to TTA.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Willkommen! Bienvenue! Welkom! Welcome!

Take a look around! There's something for everyone.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
11-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Hope you enjoy your stay Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Welcome aboard, enjoy your time here!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
11-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Welcome! Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2012, 03:30 AM