Introduction Whats Your Function?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2015, 08:18 PM
RE: Introduction Whats Your Function?
(24-09-2015 08:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 08:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I take the Jewish position on the Hebrew Bible. Tongue

I'm sure as you start reading through and posting on the boards, you'll uncover my position in a little more detail. If you have specific questions about where I stand, it might be best to PM me, as I don't wish to overstay my welcome by having too deep of a theological discussion here on an atheist forum.

You two could also go in the boxing ring and have a discussion there - others will not be able to join in, but I am sure it would be interesting for all of us to follow.

Perhaps in the near future if NASB is receptive, we can discuss a point or two in the boxing ring.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
25-09-2015, 04:17 PM
(24-09-2015 08:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  If you have specific questions about where I stand, it might be best to PM me, as I don't wish to overstay my welcome by having too deep of a theological discussion here on an atheist forum.

Pussy.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-09-2015, 07:59 AM
(25-09-2015 04:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 08:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  If you have specific questions about where I stand, it might be best to PM me, as I don't wish to overstay my welcome by having too deep of a theological discussion here on an atheist forum.

Pussy.

Aww Girly...
[Image: superthumb.jpg]

Seriously, though, I thought you guys didn't like it when religious people come here to "spread their woo." I've been fighting every urge to copy and paste pages of text from the internet about my religious beliefs, and where I think you'll go when you die.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
27-09-2015, 08:04 AM
(27-09-2015 07:59 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Seriously, though, I thought you guys didn't like it when religious people come here to "spread their woo." I've been fighting every urge to copy and paste pages of text from the internet about my religious beliefs, and where I think you'll go when you die.

Chances are good that someone else already has. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-09-2015, 12:46 PM
(27-09-2015 08:04 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 07:59 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Seriously, though, I thought you guys didn't like it when religious people come here to "spread their woo." I've been fighting every urge to copy and paste pages of text from the internet about my religious beliefs, and where I think you'll go when you die.

Chances are good that someone else already has. Undecided

I don't think we've had a Jew discussing their metaphysics yet. (DLJ don't count 'cause he's been busy diddling lady boys thinking they were cute asian girls.)

I am curious about Jewish metaphysics. Do they believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? Do they believe we survive our death in some other way where our identity is not preserved? Do they believe in heaven and hell? How come many of the Jews I know are atheists? So many questions.

#sigh
27-09-2015, 01:31 PM
(27-09-2015 12:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 08:04 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Chances are good that someone else already has. Undecided

I don't think we've had a Jew discussing their metaphysics yet. (DLJ don't count 'cause he's been busy diddling lady boys thinking they were cute asian girls.)

I am curious about Jewish metaphysics. Do they believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? Do they believe we survive our death in some other way where our identity is not preserved? Do they believe in heaven and hell? How come many of the Jews I know are atheists? So many questions.

Well! If you're receptive to hearing it, then I'll do my best to explain.

Postmortem preservation of identity? Probably not. ... well, sort of. We believe that you'll 'exist' post mortem in the same sense that you existed prior to your birth. We don't believe in beautiful castles set amid fluffy white clouds where you'll live with your loved ones for all eternity in blissful joy. According to many Jewish explanations, the existence after death will be like floating in a sea of nothingness, and your experiences on earth will either prime you to enjoy or hate the ride. Whether or not we'll remember or even care about who we were on earth is not something that I've looked into. I do know that many schools of thought within Judaism acknowledge the possibility of reincarnation, so that would suggest that we may not remember who we were (or that we'll remember all of our lives.)

Judaism has very little to say about the "afterlife", as our religion focuses mainly on what we do in this life. But to answer your question, we do not believe in heaven or hell in the traditional sense that Christians do. As I explained above, you'll either enjoy the experience (heaven), or you will not enjoy the experience (hell). It's worth mentioning that if you don't enjoy the experience, your soul will only be miserable for a short period of time until past misdeeds are atoned for and then you will enjoy the experience. There is no eternal torment.

So many Jews are atheists because we tend to be rational thinkers, and some of this stuff simply doesn't make sense. It's a good thing that Judaism has nothing to do with belief and everything to do with action. One's personal belief in G-d is nice, but not required. Not to oversimplify it, but all that really matters is that you do your best to live a good, moral life and that you experience living while you're here.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
27-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Hi NASB Smile Welcome to the forum.

Aliza, it's a lot about how you present your ideas. A number of theists come through here with a "Howdy ho, Freethinkers, I'm totally not at all here to convert you but if you should feel like committing your souls to the Lord and apologising for being such miserable freaks of nature then I'm here to talk you through the process, starting with how I *know* that evolution is not a correct or even scientific so-called theory." Those kinda people get rightfully kicked to the kerb. We most of us became atheists because of those kinda knob-polishers.

You, on the other hand, I think you could be OK to listen to. You might have already found that you'll get challenged on a lot of stuff though, especially the stuff that seems woo-based. Basically, if you declare your woo, the automatic question is "Why?". Most people only seem to last a few rounds before they either go nuclear or wander off. KC does OK mainly 'cos he admits he's fulla shit. It's hard to crap all over a guy for being illogical when his defence is "I know, so what?"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
27-09-2015, 02:04 PM
(27-09-2015 01:31 PM)Aliza Wrote:  According to many Jewish explanations, the existence after death will be like floating in a sea of nothingness, and your experiences on earth will either prime you to enjoy or hate the ride

Sink or swim.

#sigh
27-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Girly and Aliza,

Nice chat n'all but this is NASB's intro thread.

Feel free to kick off a new thread.

And yes, I saw that comment about the ladyboys.

Don't tell me you've never experimented, I won't believe you.

Hedonism FTW.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-09-2015, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 04:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-09-2015 02:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  And yes, I saw that comment about the ladyboys.

Don't tell me you've never experimented, I won't believe you.

Hedonism FTW.

Been monogamous my entire sexual life. See no reason to change now. Going on 35 years and shit.

#sigh