Introduction Whats Your Function?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2015, 11:25 PM
RE: Introduction Whats Your Function?
(27-09-2015 04:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 02:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  And yes, I saw that comment about the ladyboys.

Don't tell me you've never experimented, I won't believe you.

Hedonism FTW.

Been monogamous my entire sexual life. See no reason to change now. Going on 35 years and shit.

Well technically DLJ's still right, *GirlyMan* Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-10-2015, 03:33 PM
(24-09-2015 07:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 06:43 PM)NASB Wrote:  Hello...

Been a Christian for about fifteen years now.

Hello...

What were you before? (I’m assuming you’re older than fifteen).
An unconscious Agnostic Smile Yeah almost older than fifty.
01-10-2015, 03:38 PM
(24-09-2015 08:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 07:02 PM)NASB Wrote:  Nice to meet you Aliza. Do you a position/opinion concerning the Old Testamnet? Thanks for introducing yourself.

I take the Jewish position on the Hebrew Bible. Tongue

I'm sure as you start reading through and posting on the boards, you'll uncover my position in a little more detail. If you have specific questions about where I stand, it might be best to PM me, as I don't wish to overstay my welcome by having too deep of a theological discussion here on an atheist forum.
I take the Jewish perspective on the Old and New Testaments. The first Christians were Jewish, they wrote the New Testament after all, and the last Christians will be Jewish. Consider
01-10-2015, 03:39 PM
(24-09-2015 08:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 08:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  You two could also go in the boxing ring and have a discussion there - others will not be able to join in, but I am sure it would be interesting for all of us to follow.

Perhaps in the near future if NASB is receptive, we can discuss a point or two in the boxing ring.
Sweet I'm down, cant do it this weekend though...
01-10-2015, 04:04 PM
(27-09-2015 12:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am curious about Jewish metaphysics. Do they believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? Do they believe we survive our death in some other way where our identity is not preserved? Do they believe in heaven and hell? How come many of the Jews I know are atheists? So many questions.
More Jews have accepted Christ as their Messiah in the last 20 years, than in the last 2,000. Sign of the times?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/05...their-own/
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/407139.aspx
http://www.gotquestions.org/Jews-reject-Jesus.html
01-10-2015, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 04:42 PM by NASB.)
(27-09-2015 01:31 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Judaism has very little to say about the "afterlife", as our religion focuses mainly on what we do in this life. But to answer your question, we do not believe in heaven or hell in the traditional sense that Christians do. As I explained above, you'll either enjoy the experience (heaven), or you will not enjoy the experience (hell). It's worth mentioning that if you don't enjoy the experience, your soul will only be miserable for a short period of time until past misdeeds are atoned for and then you will enjoy the experience. There is no eternal torment.
Judaism may have little to say concerning the after life, but this is not the case regarding the Old Testament.

Isaiah 50 "He who vindicates Me is near; Who will contend with Me? Let us stand up to each other; Who has a case against Me? Let him draw near to Me. Behold, the Lord GOD helps Me; Who is he who condemns Me? Behold, they will all wear out like a garment; The moth will eat them. Who is among you that fears the LORD, That obeys the voice of His servant, That walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God. Behold, all you who kindle a fire, Who encircle yourselves with firebrands, Walk in the light of your fire And among the brands you have set ablaze. This you will have from My hand:
You will lie down in torment."

Job 33 "If there is an angel as mediator for him, One out of a thousand, To remind a man what is right for him, Then let him be gracious to him, and say, ‘Deliver him from going down to the pit, I have found a ransom’ Let his flesh become fresher than in youth, Let him return to the days of his youthful vigor; Then he will pray to God, and He will accept him, That he may see His face with joy, And He may restore His righteousness to man. He will sing to men and say, ‘I have sinned and perverted what is right, And it is not proper for me. ‘He has redeemed my soul from going to the pit, And my life shall see the light.’"

The Old Testament paints a clear picture of an afterlife, modern day Judaism, not so much.
01-10-2015, 04:27 PM
(27-09-2015 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hi NASB Smile Welcome to the forum.

Aliza, it's a lot about how you present your ideas. A number of theists come through here with a "Howdy ho, Freethinkers, I'm totally not at all here to convert you but if you should feel like committing your souls to the Lord and apologising for being such miserable freaks of nature then I'm here to talk you through the process, starting with how I *know* that evolution is not a correct or even scientific so-called theory." Those kinda people get rightfully kicked to the kerb. We most of us became atheists because of those kinda knob-polishers.

You, on the other hand, I think you could be OK to listen to. You might have already found that you'll get challenged on a lot of stuff though, especially the stuff that seems woo-based. Basically, if you declare your woo, the automatic question is "Why?". Most people only seem to last a few rounds before they either go nuclear or wander off. KC does OK mainly 'cos he admits he's fulla shit. It's hard to crap all over a guy for being illogical when his defence is "I know, so what?"
Kewl, thanks for the welcome. My wife calls me a Jonah if that tells you anything. I'm not an evolutionist, but hey I'm not a young (dumb) earth creationist either. Ha I think I made a funny. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes NASB's post
01-10-2015, 04:32 PM
(27-09-2015 02:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Girly and Aliza,

Nice chat n'all but this is NASB's intro thread.

Feel free to kick off a new thread.

And yes, I saw that comment about the ladyboys.

Don't tell me you've never experimented, I won't believe you.

Hedonism FTW.
I'll try and refrain from commenting in this thread, other than to say Hello and thanks. Hmm got to find me a thread somewhere.
01-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Sent you a PM, NASB.
01-10-2015, 04:54 PM
(27-09-2015 12:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 08:04 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Chances are good that someone else already has. Undecided

I don't think we've had a Jew discussing their metaphysics yet. (DLJ don't count 'cause he's been busy diddling lady boys thinking they were cute asian girls.)

Also the small detail that he's not actually Jewish. Drinking Beverage

Quote:I am curious about Jewish metaphysics. Do they believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? Do they believe we survive our death in some other way where our identity is not preserved? Do they believe in heaven and hell? How come many of the Jews I know are atheists? So many questions.

Since "Jewish" means different things, it's hard not for the discussions to be confused.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user