Introduction/a question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Introduction/a question
I was born in South Asia in a Muslim family. None of my parents are particularly religious, but they had me learning about Islam quite a lot just because well, everyone else did it that's why. Although I wasn't particularly god-fearing, the idea that someone can call themselves an 'atheist' seemed pretty foreign and shocking to me; I hadn't met anyone who called themselves an atheist (and as to why I wasn't god-fearing, I figured I'd just repent before I die)Heart

Fast forward now, as a teenager I came across the YouTube atheist community found pretty good reasons to not believe in god . I didn't really 'come out' to my parents, because as I mentioned, they aren't very pious.

However I still have conversations with my mum about it, and she for the most part is pretty open about it. One point that she does bring up that I can't retort is that the religions have been around for ages.

The preaching that Muhammad and Jesus did has lasted for centuries, on the other hand atheism was never popular. If this was the more logical way of thinking why wouldn't more people follow it? Why has it always been such a minority everywhere? Isn't it a bit arrogant for atheists to come up against the majority of the world who are creationist and say that they are brainwashed, and they are indoctrinated by organised religions? Isn't it the same thing Church leaders do to people, except they say they have been brainwashed by the evil and sins?

She also expects me to read every single desert fairy tales and THEN decide that i'm an atheist. When I say if she had done the same she says she has, and when I asked why she chose Islam she replied that's to not disrespect her family. Well I guess with this one I don't have to argue with her. There are also a other things that frustrates me a lot.

It's really hard to argue with her by the verses of Quran because she herself hardly ever reads it, and everything bad is apparently 'left to interptetation'. She doesn't even perform any of the basic 5 pillars of Islam that is required for a Muslim to not get thrown into hell! This frustrates me so much, DON'T CALL YOURSELF A MUSLIM IF DON'T DO ANYTHING LIKE A MUSLIM!!! her and I never wore hijab and she doesn't even mind Haram food, unless it pork Facepalm

Thanks for reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ConfuzzledTomato's post
19-09-2014, 09:24 AM
RE: Introduction/a question
Welcome aboard.

Nice intro

Are you still in South Asia?
19-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Zeus, Jupiter, Osiris and Thor were around for centuries too...

So was the belief in witches, bloodletting as treatment, astrology, alchemy and the earth being flat.

Longevity is a poor argument because it does not account for the possibility of new evidences.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
19-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Welcome Smile

Quote:The preaching that Muhammad and Jesus did has lasted for centuries, on the other hand atheism was never popular. If this was the more logical way of thinking why wouldn't more people follow it? Why has it always been such a minority everywhere? Isn't it a bit arrogant for atheists to come up against the majority of the world who are creationist and say that they are brainwashed, and they are indoctrinated by organised religions? Isn't it the same thing Church leaders do to people, except they say they have been brainwashed by the evil and sins?

In ancient times even whispering doubts let alone speaking out against the church would get a person tortured and killed by the religious.
This is strong incentive for people to keep their mouths shut and follow along like sheep.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
19-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Um there is more to being an atheist than simply saying "that make no sense".

The core reason to reject any claim, on any issue, even outside religion is simple, lack of evidence. Emotional reasons are not good reasons. You can argue the age of those books(written in a scientifically ignorant age) and you can argue the idea of an immovable god(not elected, nor needs your consent to be ruled over) as bad morality no one should want to live under.

Here are some good reading for you if you have not heard of them.

Ayaan Hersi Ali "Infidel"(Story of a woman who left Islam)
Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion"
Christopher Hitchens "God Is Not Great"
Victor Stenger "God The Failed Hypothesis"
Victor Stenger "The New Atheism"
Sam Harris "The End of Faith"(he does have a fetish for Buddhism, I don't know why"

Websites you might find useful

https://www.facebook.com/exmna

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com (koran as well)

http://www.FFRF.org Freedom From Religion Foundation

This one.

But most importantly read, and learn every day, from books to other posters here and at other skeptic websites. If you get stumped that does not mean they won, it means you need to bounce their arguments off other atheists. If you don't know something there are plenty of atheists that can help you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
19-09-2014, 10:22 AM
(19-09-2014 10:17 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  ...
This one.

But most importantly read, and learn every day,...

Well said.

And our library is a good place to look.

20-09-2014, 07:56 AM
(19-09-2014 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome aboard.

Nice intro

no
20-09-2014, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2014 08:42 AM by ConfuzzledTomato.)
(19-09-2014 10:17 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Um there is more to being an atheist than simply saying "that make no sense".

The core reason to reject any claim, on any issue, even outside religion is simple, lack of evidence. Emotional reasons are not good reasons. You can argue the age of those books(written in a scientifically ignorant age) and you can argue the idea of an immovable god(not elected, nor needs your consent to be ruled over) as bad morality no one should want to live under.

Here are some good reading for you if you have not heard of them.

Ayaan Hersi Ali "Infidel"(Story of a woman who left Islam)
Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion"
Christopher Hitchens "God Is Not Great"
Victor Stenger "God The Failed Hypothesis"
Victor Stenger "The New Atheism"
Sam Harris "The End of Faith"(he does have a fetish for Buddhism, I don't know why"

Websites you might find useful

https://www.facebook.com/exmna

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com (koran as well)

http://www.FFRF.org Freedom From Religion Foundation

This one.

But most importantly read, and learn every day, from books to other posters here and at other skeptic websites. If you get stumped that does not mean they won, it means you need to bounce their arguments off other atheists. If you don't know something there are plenty of atheists that can help you.

Thanks a lot for the reading list! I've watched a documentary about 'The God Delusion' and heard some of Richard Dawkins talks. With the author you were talking about who apparently has a fetish for Buddhism, I kind of understand why. May be it's because there tolerance and non-violence are some of the most important virtues?
20-09-2014, 08:23 AM
(19-09-2014 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome aboard.

Nice intro

No, I'm in Australia now. Here my friends are pretty liberal. However a lot of the people I learnt about atheism from are from America and UK so lot the issues they talk about are not so relevant here. Apparently atheists are frowned upon over there.
20-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Welcome aboard. Smile

I think this situation is normal for many "religious" people. I've know many xians that certainly don't go by what Jesus purportedly espoused.

I'm not surprised she wants you to read the text and offers vague explanations for the bad parts. We're usually told to read the bible and see how wrong we are. I would posit many of have and that is why we're atheist. It can be fun watching them quote their books but clearly have no clue what is in them.

My muslim friends tend to be observant in terms of diet but other than that they blend right in anywhere. I find more people are culturally (insert religion) than actually following the tenants.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post