Introduction/a question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2014, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2014 08:40 AM by ConfuzzledTomato.)
RE: Introduction/a question
(19-09-2014 09:31 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Zeus, Jupiter, Osiris and Thor were around for centuries too...

So was the belief in witches, bloodletting as treatment, astrology, alchemy and the earth being flat.

Longevity is a poor argument because it does not account for the possibility of new evidences.

Yeah, well I guess she was talking about not the longevity of the stories or the claims, but the longevity of spiritual connection that caused people to still hold on to these stories after all these years. Her point is, why let go of it when your not harming anyone? After all, it's not like I'll ever join the terrorist groups like the other misguided Muslims, right?
One counter argument I can think of for that is, 'how do you know you interpretation of the Holy Book the right one and theirs isn't?' any flaws with that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2014, 08:36 AM
(20-09-2014 08:25 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Welcome aboard. Smile

I think this situation is normal for many "religious" people. I've know many xians that certainly don't go by what Jesus purportedly espoused.

I'm not surprised she wants you to read the text and offers vague explanations for the bad parts. We're usually told to read the bible and see how wrong we are. I would posit many of have and that is why we're atheist. It can be fun watching them quote their books but clearly have no clue what is in them.

My muslim friends tend to be observant in terms of diet but other than that they blend right in anywhere. I find more people are culturally (insert religion) than actually following the tenants.

I guess in the end she just doesn't want to break the tradition? And I agree with your last sentence - from where I'm from the religion is a huge part of the culture, there are minorities of Hindu, Buddhists and even Christians there but being an atheist over there is completely out of the question. I think she wouldn't even talk to me about it if I just said 'Mom, I don't believe in Allah anymore, I believe in 'Vishnu' or some other God.
20-09-2014, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2014 02:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-09-2014 09:15 AM)ConfuzzledTomato Wrote:  The preaching that Muhammad and Jesus did has lasted for centuries, on the other hand atheism was never popular.

Human brains need explanations for what they observe. Science is relatively new, in human history.

The "teachings" of Jesus (as promoted by the churches) have changed radically over the centuries, as have the ideas of what gods actually are.
The emphasis in every religion is culturally and historically dependent. The "teachings of Jesus" were not original to him, in any way.

Non-belief is high in educated countries, and growing. Culturally, atheism has, in the past, been associated with "weirdos" and those outside the main-stream. No longer. The main character on one of the most popular TV shows in the US, (The Good Wife), as a character announced last year she was an atheist. Even 25 years ago, that would not have been possible.

There are some threads about Islam, and it's history, here you might like reading.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Im from turkey and living in states.i had a pretty secular upbringing, my parents never asked me to read the quran i did it on my own . And was terrified to find out that only god will decide whose heart and ears he will open so they can be believers. Granted i was 14 or 15. More i read about less sense it made. I had questions about how adam and eve populated the world without their kids comitting incest. I asked if there were another couple. But no answers. I am after all this years resigned to the fact that i am one of those whose heart and ear is closed to the message. Oh well