Introduction and problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Introduction and problem
Hi all,

I just found The Thinking Atheist podcast a couple of weeks ago. I'm 51 years old and have been an atheist since I was about 20. Even though I've always lived in Texas, I haven't really had much in the way of negative reactions to my atheism, but it typically doesn't even come up until I'm getting to know someone. It's not that I hide it, but I'm just not going to talk religion with someone I hardly know.

Now the problem: the recent episodes of the podcast are not playing on my iPhone. I subscribe to quite a few other podcasts, and this is the only one I've had an issue with. For example, the one from Nov 29 is still on my iPhone (I use the Downcast app), and when I try to play it I get "Media File Error - There was an error playing <this episode>: Cannot Open"

This has happened with at least seven or eight of the episodes that I've downloaded, although I've listened to several others with no issues.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2012, 10:44 AM
RE: Introduction and problem
Welcome to the forum Big Grin

I dont know the answer to your question but im sure someone will be along in 3....2.....

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
30-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the forum.

And no, can't help your technical issue.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
30-11-2012, 12:21 PM
One of my buddies from work was having that problem since the iOS update. Not sure if he found a solution other than just downloading it on the computer and syncing the podcasts to his iPhone. (He was having this trouble will all of his podcasts, so I don't think it's confined to just the TTA podcast).

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey there, Frayed Knot.
Welcome to the nuthouse.
You might want to contact the Thinking Atheist Website directly. They might have some idea about the podcast problems. Here's a link to the Contact page: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/contact

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

As for your issue, I never had that problem. I used to just sync them from computer to my ipod though instead of streaming them from an app. I know since the release of the latest ios apple has been pushing it's own podcast app. I don't really listen to podcasts anymore as I don't have the time, so I couldn't tell you how it works or if it's any good.

On a side note, I've decided I hate apple. Also it's nice to see some older folks embracing technology. Not that you're that old or anything....

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
30-11-2012, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2012 03:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-11-2012 01:04 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Also it's nice to see some older folks embracing technology. Not that you're that old or anything....

Uh huh, yeah fuck you. I don't embrace the technology but I do fucking advance it 'cause I'm a goddam programmer and that's just what we do, bitch. Ain't got no cellphone, 'cause I ain't at no fucker's beck and call. Send me email and maybe I'll get back to you, probably not. Ain't got no smartphone either 'cause it ain't none of your fucking business where I am or what I'm doing. But I got no problem writing apps to monitor the idiots. Uh huh, yeah fuck you. (Not specifically you sewer dwelling clown, but everyone fucking else.)

This old man don't give a shit.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
(30-11-2012 01:04 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Also it's nice to see some older folks embracing technology.
Uh, gee, thanks.

By the way, you're saying this to a guy who used to program in assembly on his C64.

Reminds me of that old Dilbert cartoon where the older engineer said "Back in my day, we didn't have all these fancy 'windows' and 'icons.' We had to do everything with ones and zeros, and sometimes we didn't even have ones. I once wrote a whole database program using only zeros."
[+] 1 user Likes Frayed Knot's post
01-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Hahah, to be fair I've never met any of you computer literate old folks. All the people I know above forty get all confused when someone sends them a text message.

I do live in a bible belt though, and I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the more tech savvy a person is the more atheist they are as well. Flawed logic based on assumptions... yes. But I'll take it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
(01-12-2012 09:58 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Hahah, to be fair I've never met any of you computer literate old folks.

Stop saying that! I'm only 51! I go mountain biking once or twice a week - my rest heart rate is in the upper 40s. My favorite TV shows are Family Guy and South Park. I'm not yet ready to be old.

Quote:All the people I know above forty get all confused when someone sends them a text message.
I don't think that's common - I text my sisters all the time and they're several years older than I am. When you're talking about the people who are pushing 70, then yes, that's the way it is.

Quote:I do live in a bible belt though
Me too - I've lived in Texas my whole life. But since I've been out of college, I've been living in the Dallas area, which is very different from the back woods of East Texas where I was born.

Quote:... and I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the more tech savvy a person is the more atheist they are as well.

I think that's true. For one, education is correlated with atheism. For another, and this is my own theory, which is mine: tech-savvy people tend to have some of the characteristics of the Aspergers spectrum. The key feature of Aspergers is not being able to understand other people's actions and intentions. On the other hand, a "flaw" in the normal human brain is that it sees intentions where there are none - we have a hyperactive agency detector - and that's a large part of why people believe in God. So someone with a small dose of the characteristics of autism would be less likely to make that error but otherwise be fully functional.