Introduction by Burgos
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Introduction by Burgos
-I was referred to this forum by my friend Mina-
Anyway, I know it is customary to introduce oneself when joining a forum and so I thought I would say that I am a "devout" Atheist (ha-ha). I am from California, I just graduated high school and I am planning to join the US Navy.
After the service, I plan to get a Ph.D in Abnormal Psychology. I like to draw, sculpt, and write and my other fascinations include anthropology, robotics, biology, anatomy, and various world religions.
So yeah, I just heard that this forum had some smart funny sarcastic people and you all would be easy to get along with
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
RE: Introduction by Burgos
Nice to hear from you Burgos. I just got here a couple of days ago myself. I don't know if you saw some of the videos on Y toob that this sight puts out, but they're grade A informative and funny. That's what lead me here.
I come from a family where my dad, mom, and sister were all Air Force officers and continued education after they served. My dad got his PH.D. in biology (environmental science) and my mom got hers in anthropology, both of whom are in their seventies now and are very active in traveling the world and continuing their research. So I can highly recommend your plan as one that will prove to be very successful. I went another direction and studied psychology and philosophy at college, but I got bit by the rock n' roll bug and spent my twenties traveling with various bar bands up and down the East coast. I'm looking forward to finishing sometime. Anyway, glad you're there. I wish more people would stand up and be counted. There are too many of us in the main stream that are silent. Hoping for the best and praying to empty space isn't gonna cut it in this new world. It's time to get busy.
But on a lighter note, that reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw out in New Mexico recently that read "Jesus is coming---look busy". Another one I saw was "Jesus is great---it's his followers that scare me". And a good one that I saw in Virginia was "Imagine no religion". Now that one is just ambiguous enough to go either way, but anyone whose heard John Lennon gets it. I wanted to make one that reads "Religion = Dishonesty", but that's more true than funny. So I just write with my finger on my dirty window "GOD SUCKS". It's not a provocation, just an opinion.
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Welcome. Good luck with the Navy. I know it sucks, but the US military still has very little room for people of our persuasion. Sure, they say they don't discriminate, but most of them are more "thumpy" than your average person.
04-01-2010, 04:12 AM
Packilvania- thanks, and I am sure being an Atheist in the military may not make my life easier, but at least I am not gay or a muslim, because that is all they're focused on right now anyway. If anything I will avoid the subject of religion completely in the service. If it is a problem, I can mention that Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Adams and so on were Atheists, and that religious persuasion has nothing to do with patriotism.

Grassharpper- When I read your message, I happened to look up some Y toob vids produced by this site. And somewhere along the line, in the related videos, there was an "if atheists ruled the world" vid that I found rather unsettling because I know somewhere in this country, there are people who really think like that.
Also, it is no wonder that you are an Atheist; your parents are very well educated in the most atheistic fields imaginable. It is actually rather halarious how 90% of the intelligencia in the entire human race are Atheists, and if the rules of natural selection still applied, we would be all that is left, as a faith in God doesn't protect you from predators. But sadly humans are too pampered as of now and even the stupedist people manage to have children.
But unlike a lot of Atheists, I rather prefer the Catholic Church over other Christian denominations. Instead of denying science, they find a way to somehow incorporate it into their religion. Evolution, aliens, big bang theory and so on. The reason is the vattican, which consists of a buttload (how much is a buttload? I will never know) of scholars who have not only recieved advanced degrees in scientific fields, but have also devoted their lives to studying religion and philosophy and often times their ruling on scientific related issues are the same as ours. I would much rather that the masses take their word over the words of some jackass who used to be a car salesman.
As for moral issues, the Catholic Church sides with all of the other christians against us, and in that way most Catholics aren't even scientific thinkers at all, I just admire the higher structure of the church itself.
I love it when I am told I have no morals. And the worst part I suppose my moral alignment and agenda is a slight bit different than other peoples', including other Atheists. But for the most part, I don't swallow souls and molest children and lay my sister as most Christians and Muslims would love to believe. I just think it is funny that the only reason they don't lay their siblings and molest children is because some guys a few thousand years ago in the middleastern desert wrote down on a stone tablet that they're not supposed to.
04-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Burgos! Welcome aboard!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey, I'm gonna find that video you were talking about.
I don't know about that whole Catholic church business. Weren't they sort of aligned with the Nazis back in the day? Or at least sympathizers. I'm pretty sure Hitler was raised a Catholic too.
But, you're right they try to incorporate science as compatible with their belief, but I have a feeling it's because they have no option. Once something is proven beyond a reasonable doubt, they jump on board. This is an attempt to maintain credibility I suspect. They house arrested Galileo for the rest of his life and only recently apologized for that. They go back on everything eventually. I think they rethought the whole issue of purgatory not to long ago too because it was mean to children. I don't Know, it just gives me the willies when anybody from the church has anything to say about science. At least most of the Catholics I meet pretty much ignore their own religion.

As far as morals go, religious institutions have a pretty bad record in practicing what they preach. When a Christian breaks a rule, they see that nothing happens to them. So they do it again and again--still nothing. Then they tell themselves they will be forgiven as long as they apologize and ask for mercy. If they're are forgiven for every thing, then morality ceases to exist. I think the fact that they impose rules does more to insure that they will be broken rather than encouraging development of morality by studying it from a cultural or anthropological standpoint. Moral development in man predates any religion or even any written history---we wouldn't have gotten to the point of inventing religion in the first place if it hadn't. I haven't met an atheist yet that didn't have a high moral standard.

Anyway, your pretty smart for going into the Navy---I don't see us losing anyone in the U.S. Navy from war for the next twenty years or so. I had a friend that was thrown out of the Navy and he said he had a blast.
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I saw that video about atheists ruling the world---man you weren't kidding. These poor people have never developed the ability to think or reason and they seem to be cut off from any kind of normal society. It's as if these boys were raised in a vacuum and never had contact with the outside world. I mean to have such a negative view of people they know absolutely nothing about----whose feeding them this garbage. One guy mentions atheists putting on black robes and hanging people up for torture--have they even studied the history of their own religion? I mean this is just sad. There's really no point in engaging such people. It would be like trying to train a wild animal to do tricks.
And you know it's not really the extremists that bother me so much--they are a lost cause--it's this naive perception of general society that faith is a good quality in a person--that belief in a god is to be admired and valued. It's like giving people a free pass on this one thing but on every other thing in life we must analyze, check the facts, read the data, know the history, examine the evidence, look for inconsistencies, test the theory, prove your point, look at it in the light of day---I mean man oh man, It's like we all just lose our minds when it comes to this one thing. You say UFOs--they say where's the proof? Say psychic ability--where's the proof? Witchcraft---proof? Religious belief--oh don't go there, it's offensive. Religious belief--oh he's a man of conviction. Religious belief--she has moral character. How could any honest person equate faith with moral character? Nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room. Well I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to say something.
05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
My favourite "Dioxyribo Nucleic Acid? Humans can't be full of acid... they would dissolve."

There are things that offer very little proof that I support. This is why I can't bash religious people very much without being a hippocrite (spelling?). I am a strong supporter in the possibility of life outside earth. I could talk forever about my "beliefs" in that field, but that is another story for another time.
Also, you are right about the Catholic Church. They only adopt the scientific policies so they can remain relevant. But I think that is better than rejecting science completely and is much much much better than the old policies they had on non-catholics (The city of Burgos, Spain is where the Spanish Inquisition happened, which is also ironically my last name). So the modern Catholic Church gets a thumbs up from me.
Unlike Catholics, Protestant Churches are inconsitent mainly in the way that every time they differ on one little belief, they split off into a different church. There is maybe 40,00+ different kinds of protestant churches in the US alone. Protestants are also the most annoying in my opinion especially in the way that unlike catholics, each and every hive has some different belief on how Atheists and Science could be treated. Usually it is all the same: that evolution = devil and Atheism = devil worship. They are usually the most intolerant, bigoted, ignorant Christians and this is why the Protestant Collective gets a middle finger.
Oh, and thanks for the compliment.
(04-01-2010 08:44 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Hey Burgos! Welcome aboard!

thanks to you too
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that part about acid dissolving is classic.

It's pretty hard not to be a hypocrite at least a little here and there. I'd be an even bigger hypocrite if I didn't at least admit that.

But look, if the Catholics are at least progressive enough to be "Johnny come lately"s, then fine. Maybe one day in the distant future they'll transform that institution into to a credible community of thinking people. Everything evolves, and hey, I can dream. I mean my goal is to help people along, not to destroy them. I'll be honest, I celebrate Christmas too--but I do it more as a commemoration of the traditions my ancestors used to honor and a celebration of our deliverance from that ancient mythology---much like Halloween.
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Speaking of credible communities of thinkers, I think we need to make a United Atheist Front, or Collaberation, or Union or something.... oh wait... I forgot that was called the international scientific community.
But in all seriousness, I think that we should behave a bit more like a "church," except not preeching God or religion, but giving free education about things like Evolution, Genetics, Anthropology, Human History, and especially sex education about STD's, Pregnancy, and Contraceptives. But the point of this is to spread the idea of free-thinking, which usually leads to Atheism.