Introduction in the form of a question about atheist attitudes about death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2016, 06:54 PM
RE: Introduction in the form of a question about atheist attitudes about death
(07-10-2016 11:44 PM)Mirkwoodz Wrote:  Anyway, I'm curious if any of you can relate to the question that's been on my mind for a while. As an atheist, does someone's death not bother you much?

Actually death has no meaning to me (personally that is). While I was in the USAF at a training school one day as I lay in my bed in the barracks (well tucked in so there was no way for me to get up quickly) one other airman stood at the end of my bed pointing a pistol at me, threatening to kill me.

My reaction, without any concern for my life, was to say to him "You might as well pull the trigger because either way you are going to be in trouble". Obviously he didn't shoot me but the thing was I was totally unconcerned about the outcome.

I'm not afraid of death nor am I a fatalist; if it comes it comes. I'm 84 going on 17 and I live by my signature.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2016, 09:46 PM
RE: Introduction in the form of a question about atheist attitudes about death
(08-10-2016 02:31 PM)Mirkwoodz Wrote:  Interesting responses, everyone. Thanks for what you've given me so far.

So far, most of you seem to think that it has little to do with Atheism, and you're probably right... I think I failed to express my idea properly... I wasn't looking for Atheism as a causation, but actually the thought process that makes you Atheist as the correlation. I think, to use the term, thinking Atheists are often Atheists because they have more logical thought patterns. I think the ability to accept something like death which is also logical is right down those same lines.

I would bet that if you polled theists about how they react to death, and Atheists the same, you would see more Atheists taking death in stride than theists. After all, they are scared enough of death personally to believe a very convoluted story about what happens to them once they have shuffled off their mortal coils.

And, to Szuchow. Adding the phrase "I mean it as a compliment." did not make it phrased as a compliment? I think I'm a touch off, and most people are, which is what makes people unique.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Nice meeting you all!

Welcome.

There are two different issues here, one is your own death and the second the death of someone you hold dear.

I am not afraid of death (dying painfully is another matter).
Losing people I deeply care about and love is heartbreaking and not something one takes in stride. The sense of loss is deeply felt.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post