Poll: What are you on the personality scale?
Introvert
Extravert
Ambivert
Vorgon
[Show Results]

Introvert, Extravert or Ambiversion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Introvert, Extravert or Ambiversion?
Are you an introvert, extrovert or ambivert? Do you even know?

Extraversion

Extraversion is "the act, state, or habit of being predominantly concerned with obtaining gratification from what is outside the self".[4] Extraverts tend to enjoy human interactions and to be enthusiastic, talkative, assertive, and gregarious. Extraverts are energized and thrive off of being around other people. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings, such as parties, community activities, public demonstrations, and business or political groups. They also tend to work well in groups.[5] An extraverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone. They tend to be energized when around other people, and they are more prone to boredom when they are by themselves.

Introversion

Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life".[4] Introverts are typically perceived as more reserved or reflective.[5] Some popular psychologists have characterized introverts as people whose energy tends to expand through reflection and dwindle during interaction.[6] This is similar to Jung's view, although he focused on mental energy rather than physical energy. Few modern conceptions make this distinction.

Introverts often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, using computers, hiking and fishing. The archetypal artist, writer, sculptor, engineer, composer and inventor are all highly introverted. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though they may enjoy interactions with close friends. Trust is usually an issue of significance: a virtue of utmost importance to introverts is choosing a worthy companion. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate, especially observed in developing children and adolescents.[7] They are more analytical before speaking.[8] Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement, introversion having even been defined by some in terms of a preference for a quiet, more minimally stimulating external environment.[9]

Mistaking introversion for shyness is a common error. Introverts prefer solitary to social activities, but do not necessarily fear social encounters like shy people do.[10]

Susan Cain, the author of the book "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" argues that present Western culture misjudges the capabilities of introverted people, leading to unused talent and energy.[11] The author, a self-described introvert, points out how society is biased against the introvert. From childhood they are taught that to be sociable is to be happy. Introversion is now "somewhere between a disappointment and pathology".[12]

Cain says that introversion is not a "second-class" trait, with examples including the introverts J.K. Rowling, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Gandhi, Dr. Seuss, Yeats, Steven Spielberg and Larry Page. Her book shows how both introverts and extraverts enrich society.[12]

Ambiversion

Although many people view being introverted or extraverted as a question with only two possible answers, most contemporary trait theories measure levels of extraversion-introversion as part of a single, continuous dimension of personality, with some scores near one end, and others near the half-way mark,[13] see the Big Five personality traits. Ambiversion is falling more or less directly in the middle.[4][14] An ambivert is moderately comfortable with groups and social interaction, but also relishes time alone, away from a crowd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversi...troversion

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
20-03-2016, 08:17 PM
RE: Introvert, Extravert or Ambiversion?
I know that I am an introvert, have for decades. I'm just fine being by myself. I worked out of town for a few years, and some of my co-workers tried to "volunteer" me for some community activities that I had no interest in. One went so far as to tell me "...don't isolate yourself". Hell, I worked with them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. If we were not on travel, I would never see them after work. Why does being out of town mean that they get to monopolize my free time?
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
20-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Introvert. I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, not sure how accurate the diagnosis was but it seems to fit, since 99% of the time I avoid social situations unless they're necessary, and I have little interest in socially interacting with people. I also get pretty tired out when I'm around large groups of people for too long. I do have social anxiety so that's the main reason I avoid social interactions.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
20-03-2016, 08:29 PM
For years I thought I was an extrovert. The original party girl, I got off on concerts, parties, bar hopping and being "on". But I also love alone time, thrived on it in quite. My parents were partiers so I never had much alone time to know if I was one thing or another.

It wasn't until I was in my forties that I realized I was more introvert than extravert. I'm on the line I would say between ambivert and introvert. I can be a group person and enjoy it for a short time but it also depends on the group, whether I'm comfortable with the people or not. Ninety percent of the time I can last about an hour, maybe 2 then I'm wore slick and time to go home.

I do much better in small groups fo 2-5 and I wouldn't go to a concert now if my life depended on it. I do like to do things out but not if there's going to be a crowd. Places like zoos, museums and wine festivals I go the very first thing before the crowd gets there and by the time it gets packed I'm half way home already. There are many times I have to talk myself into going out and many times I fail and cancel. Meh, I'm okay with that.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 5 users Like Heatheness's post
20-03-2016, 08:31 PM
I chose Ambivert because I'm both. But after reading the moderately comfortable part of your ambivert post, I would say that's not really me as I am very comfortable in groups and in social settings and seek them out. At the same time, I do like to recharge my batteries every once in awhile and I enjoy hiking by myself and things like that.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2016, 08:36 PM
I have learned how to appear extroverted in work situations. In late high school I worked in a small grocery store where we all (5 of us) did everything. That meant I had to learn to make small talk with people. Then there was a short stint as a waitress and then bartending off and on for years. These all required interaction with people so I learned how to appear outgoing and engaged.

In truth, I am extremely content with my own company. Working as a bookkeeper tends to be pretty solitary, at least in the companies where I have worked. I interact with coworkers to the extent that I need to for professional reasons. I don't socialize outside of work and have no desire to. I look forward to going home each day and spending time with my animals. My husband is also quite introverted and his work schedule means that we only cross paths about three hours a day (at most) during the week. He also works Sundays which gives me the house to myself.

When forced into social situations I am quickly exhausted by playing that role and I look forward to the event ending.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
20-03-2016, 09:17 PM
I chose ambivert, since I've been having a lot of alone time lately and I've been really missing spending time with groups and having a social life.
That being said, a really crucial part of relationships for me is the desperate need for time to myself, which I often choose over spending time with other people given the opportunity (a concept which my extroverted ex-boyfriend did not seem to be able to grasp). I've always falling very strongly into the Introvert category in Myers-Briggs tests (but I know how unreliable those can be).
So I don't really fit entirely into either the extrovert or introvert categories; I'm either an ambivert or a curmudgeon. Or just confused.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
20-03-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm an ambivert. I do enjoy engaging with people -- I have to, at times with my work -- and really enjoy those times. But by the same token, I also have a keen appreciation for solitude. As a writer and musician by hobby, I need me-time to process my experiences and acquire the insights which fuel my creativity.

It's very much a mood thing either way for me -- if I don't respond to it quickly enough, my mood can turn annoyed or lonely depending on the direction.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-03-2016, 03:50 AM
Severe introvert
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Kyx's post
21-03-2016, 05:04 AM
How can anyone be an extrovert? They only come 20 to a pack. That reminds me, why do they call it "reserved parking?"? What if you are not an introvert?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post