Introverts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2015, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2015 07:01 PM by Dom.)
Introverts
Actually, DLJ got me thinking about this with a remark he made someplace a while ago.

I had never considered myself an introvert at all. I am almost a social chameleon - I can get along with anyone and in any situation. I am well traveled, have held many public speeches and have always been popular.

Doesn't sound like an introvert? Well, come to find out, that is quite the case with many introverts. The thing is, rather than joining one of the parties I get invited to after a speech, I would go to my hotel room and order room service. I'd spend the evening reading or watching TV or fooling around on the computer or working. Being alone recharges me.

My idea of "getting out more" is walking my dogs in the woods. Love it! My idea of a perfect day is one where I don't have to interact with anyone. I don't know how to be bored. I don't know how to be lonely, either.

Here is a list of some people you wouldn't expect to be introverts as well as a description: http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html

Quote:Famous INTJs:
Susan B. Anthony
Lance Armstrong
Arthur Ashe, tennis champion
Augustus Caesar (Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus)
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
Dan Aykroyd (The Blues Brothers)
William J. Bennett, "drug czar"
William F. Buckley, Jr.
Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironsides)
Chevy Chase (Cornelius Crane) (Fletch)
Katie Couric
Phil Donahue
Michael Dukakis, governor of Mass., 1988 U.S. Dem. pres. candidate
Richard Gere (Pretty Woman)
Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor
Greg Gumbel, television sportscaster
Hannibal, Carthaginian military leader
Emily Bronte, author of Wuthering Heights
Angela Lansbury (Murder, She Wrote)
Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV
Peter Jennings
Charles Everett Koop
Ivan Lendl
C. S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Joan Lunden
Edwin Moses, U.S. olympian (hurdles)
Martina Navratilova
Michelle Obama
General Colin Powell, former US Secretary of State
Charles Rangel, US Representative, D-N.Y.
Pernell Roberts (Bonanza)
Donald Rumsfeld, former US Secretary of Defense
Hillary Clinton, US Secretary of State
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
Josephine Tey (Elizabeth Mackintosh), mystery writer (Brat Farrar)

U.S. Presidents:
Chester A. Arthur
Calvin Coolidge
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy
James K. Polk
Woodrow Wilson

Any other introverts here?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Dom's post
25-04-2015, 06:54 PM
RE: Introverts
Definitely.

My time years ago as a bartender and a time as a waitress made being able to make conversation with all sorts of people necessary. I can still do it when I have to but I prefer time with my animals to people nearly all the time.

I have learned how to appear as an extrovert, but it's an act. It's out of my comfort zone and I avoid social situations when I can...but I can interact just fine with most people when the situation calls for it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-04-2015, 07:02 PM
(25-04-2015 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  I had never considered myself an introvert at all. I am almost a social chameleon - I can get along with anyone and in any situation. I am well traveled, have held many public speeches and have always been popular.

My idea of "getting out more" is walking my dogs in the woods. Love it! My idea of a perfect day is one where I don't have to interact with anyone. I don't know how to be bored. I don't know how to be lonely, either.

I completely relate to that. Days where I see and talk to no one in person are perfect. I generally prefer being alone whenever possible.

Today I had to be very actively engaged with others for nearly 8 hours and I am totally drained right now. Tomorrow I get to spend the entire day without having to actually see or talk to anybody (except for the gym but I won't have to pay any attention to anybody there so it hardly counts).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
25-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm definitely an introvert. I can go days perfectly content not to speak to other people. I do enjoy company and friendship, I just don't need it all that much.

I found this article a few years back and thought it was pretty good and accurate:

10 Myths about Introverts
[+] 3 users Like Dex's post
25-04-2015, 07:17 PM
(25-04-2015 07:02 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  I had never considered myself an introvert at all. I am almost a social chameleon - I can get along with anyone and in any situation. I am well traveled, have held many public speeches and have always been popular.

I completely relate to that. Days where I see and talk to no one in person are perfect. I generally prefer being alone whenever possible.

Today I had to be very actively engaged with others for nearly 8 hours and I am totally drained right now. Tomorrow I get to spend the entire day without having to actually see or talk to anybody (except for the gym but I won't have to pay any attention to anybody there so it hardly counts).

I get it! Sundays are my favorite days. My husband and son both work Sundays. I wake up to a house with no other people. I usually have it to myself till about 2 pm. I do nothing but enjoy the solitude. I seldom answer my phone because my daughter often wants to come hang out. That's probably awful I know...but I really, really need those hours to recharge.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-04-2015, 07:19 PM
(25-04-2015 07:06 PM)Dex Wrote:  I'm definitely an introvert. I can go days perfectly content not to speak to other people. I do enjoy company and friendship, I just don't need it all that much.

I found this article a few years back and thought it was pretty good and accurate:

That article describes it very well.

25-04-2015, 07:23 PM
(25-04-2015 07:06 PM)Dex Wrote:  I'm definitely an introvert. I can go days perfectly content not to speak to other people. I do enjoy company and friendship, I just don't need it all that much.

I get the rude thing a lot because I don't hang out with others at work and talk 'girl talk'. The boss tells me that people say I am rude. My immediate boss gets it...the big boss doesn't. I don't have time for other people's drama. I don't need the group break times and I don't feel a need to start a conversation with everyone who comes within 10 feet of me. I have shit to do when I am at work.

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-04-2015, 07:24 PM
(25-04-2015 07:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I seldom answer my phone because my daughter often wants to come hang out. That's probably awful I know...but I really, really need those hours to recharge.

LOL. The few people that know my phone number also know that I often don't answer it because I just don't feel like talking to anybody. I'll listen to messages in case it is something urgent but few things are. They also understand that it isn't personal and not that I don't want to talk to THEM, I just don't want to talk AT ALL.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-04-2015, 07:29 PM
[Image: only_speaking_to_my_dog_today_paw_print_...vr_324.jpg]

[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
25-04-2015, 07:39 PM
(25-04-2015 07:24 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 07:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I seldom answer my phone because my daughter often wants to come hang out. That's probably awful I know...but I really, really need those hours to recharge.

LOL. The few people that know my phone number also know that I often don't answer it because I just don't feel like talking to anybody. I'll listen to messages in case it is something urgent but few things are. They also understand that it isn't personal and not that I don't want to talk to THEM, I just don't want to talk AT ALL.

Me too, and people just don't get that at all! My cell is usually turned off and in my purse - I like to have it in case my car breaks down or something happens when I go out. I play games on it when stuck waiting someplace. If you want my attention, email me. I'll get to you a lot faster.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post