Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
I've been following Dennett ever since his work with Hofstadter over 30 years ago editing the collection of essays The Mind's I: Fantasies and reflections on self and soul. I like him. He's not as fervent as the popular anti-theists but rather thinks religion needs to be studied and analyzed as to why humans even felt the need to invent such a bizarre metaphysics in the first place. His latest book, Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking is a goddam treasure trove of useful skills and exercises in cirtical thinking. It's a goddam ludus for the thinking sumo. (And yes I do love mixed metaphors. Tongue ).

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2013, 05:45 PM
RE: Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
(19-05-2013 04:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've been following Dennett ever since his work with Hofstadter over 30 years ago editing the collection of essays The Mind's I: Fantasies and reflections on self and soul. I like him. He's not as fervent as the popular anti-theists but rather thinks religion needs to be studied and analyzed as to why humans even felt the need to invent such a bizarre metaphysics in the first place. His latest book, Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking is a goddam treasure trove of useful skills and exercises in cirtical thinking. It's a goddam ludus for the thinking sumo. (And yes I do love mixed metaphors. Tongue ).

Thanks for the tip. Thumbsup The Mind's I is one of my favoritist ever books.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2013, 04:31 AM
RE: Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
(19-05-2013 04:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've been following Dennett ever since his work with Hofstadter over 30 years ago editing the collection of essays The Mind's I: Fantasies and reflections on self and soul. I like him. He's not as fervent as the popular anti-theists but rather thinks religion needs to be studied and analyzed as to why humans even felt the need to invent such a bizarre metaphysics in the first place. His latest book, Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking is a goddam treasure trove of useful skills and exercises in cirtical thinking. It's a goddam ludus for the thinking sumo. (And yes I do love mixed metaphors. Tongue ).

I never metaphor i didn't like.

Hofstadter would beat Dennett in a steel cage match any time.
Find all posts by this user