Intuition: true or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Intuition: true or not?
We all know this feeling when we just met someone and we know we will like this person or we know we will dislike this person. And later you find out that your feeling was correct.
The same goes for situations. Like you walk along an empty road and you feel like you really should cross. You get home safely and next day you find out that someone was robbed on the side of the road you were walking on.
Things like that.

What kind of signals are we picking up? Or is it kind of a 6th sense?

I once read somewhere that involuntarily we check out everyone and everything very quickly with eye movements that we can't control.
Are we for some reason really great cold readers or why do we know, and are right, when it comes to judging people and situations that we aren't familiar with?

One example was one of my mom's ex bf. I am not and have never been jealous in any way. I was 20 or 21 at that point. She talked about him before and one day she brought him home.
She had done it that way before, I was fine with all her guys, they were nice. And this one didn't act any other way. He was friendly, open and all. But I found him odd. As I couldn't put my finger on it, I said nothing.
Didn't take long to find out that I was right with my feeling about him.
The story is very long, and I am going to spare you the details. But basically we found out that everything he had said were lies.

Now I am a person with a very good "sensor" when it comes to people in real life. And many people are like me. So what is this sensor? Is it a great knowledge of people and situations, is it intuition, is it kind of a stone age reflex in our brains that we can't control?

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2012, 11:34 AM
RE: Intuition: true or not?
I think we pick up on small, barely noticeable signals, quirks and other such things. A look, a gesture, a word, something that only takes a second but is there nonetheless. I'm prone to forming snap judgments of people and the sad thing is, nearly all the times those have been proven wrong, I've erred on the side of giving people too much credit. I can't remember the last time when I formed a negative opinion of someone only for them to surprise me and turn out to be nice. The other way around, however...

Of course, being an INFP I have to say I believe in intuition Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
29-12-2012, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2012 11:44 AM by One Above All.)
My intuition tends to be right so much that I've learned to trust it without question. Most of the time.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
29-12-2012, 11:52 AM
We are pattern-seeking monkeys and very efficient ones at that. [Image: Monkey.png]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
29-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Hello? We're a bunch of fucking predators... Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
29-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Yep, our brain detects a pattern and just sends out a notification. It isn't always a correct connection, just as conscious reasoning can be bent and be incorrect.

But it's well worth heeding, to dig that pattern up with the conscious mind may either take too long or be impossible. Only things that are filed away as important and concluded are easily retrieved.

There is a shitload of useless and incomplete or forgotten information stored away, and intuition must be when we connect some of that stuff and form a pattern.

Like you may not consciously know much about body language, but your brain will detect a pattern - people who sit like x usually do y.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-12-2012, 12:39 PM
We also have selective memories, remembering the hits preferentially.

So don't be too sure of your success rate for intuition.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Bad at judging probabilities.

Remember hits but not misses.

Good at picking up stuff subconsciously.

Like the liar guy. It's very difficult to really tell lies well. Body language, everything must be perfect. They must be consistent - every lie means you have to remember that you told that lie and anything else you say must be consistent with it. I know I can't lie for shit. I'm always surprised when someone believes me if I deliberately told a lie. I'd say your guy was probably very good but still made barely noticeable mistakes - then it engendered a feeling of unease in you.

IMO, intuition is real. But there's no mystery to it...
29-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, women are supposed to be better at having correct intuition - no idea where that comes from. Probably a myth.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-12-2012, 12:54 PM
(29-12-2012 12:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, women are supposed to be better at having correct intuition - no idea where that comes from. Probably a myth.

And then there is this:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cutt...or-reality