Intuition: true or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2012, 12:59 PM
RE: Intuition: true or not?
(29-12-2012 12:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  And then there is this:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cutt...or-reality
Yeah, pretty much what I thought (and had heard).

This bit "Women are also better at expressing emotions through their facial expressions" reminds me of this guy (he was a bit of a creep, but that's not really pertinent) who was once asking me to repeat what I was saying, over and over again, so I said "Am I really speaking this quietly?", to which he said "Your face is very expressive, so I couldn't really follow what you were saying." And I was "WTF? You listening with your eyes or something." What a weird thing to say Blink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Hey, Leela.

Read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. The main subject of the book is thin-slicing.

Intuition is a deeply powerful, deeply human, oft maligned thing that none of us can do without; despite our thoughts to the contrary.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
29-12-2012, 03:21 PM
(29-12-2012 12:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-12-2012 12:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, women are supposed to be better at having correct intuition - no idea where that comes from. Probably a myth.

And then there is this:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cutt...or-reality

Intuition: in martial arts and boxing its called "reading the opponent's telegraphs". We all do it all the time. The people that are "better" at it merely have learned to trust their gut instinct and respond to the telegraphs appropriately. Those who think about it fail because the telegraphs (pattern recognition) are picked up on a subliminal level.
Try reading "Bounce": its all about how star athletes excel; the first thing is training to see the patterns, and then once you can see and respond to the patterns appropriately, just let go and allow your subconscious to run the show. Thinking too much leads to hesitation and, in martial arts, hesitation kills. That is all "intuition" really is.
As far as women being better at it: I call bullshit. Its not that men can't read faces and pick up non-verbal communication, its that we choose not to. I know when my wife is pissed with me (and in fact, I generally know when anyone around me is angry or upset); I just choose to ignore the signals because I know, deep down, that if I wait her out, she will calm down and start thinking again rather than just being pissy.
29-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Our brains are pretty awesome things. They take in so much information so quickly, and there are all kinds of things going on we aren't conscious of.

Intuition is one. Our brains interpret minute signals from nerves, and connect them to memories. Then the brains ends out signals in the form of anxiety and sweating. We feel anxious about a person because our brains make the connection between what we see and hear, and similar signals that were sent off by someone who did something bad. Tiny details in the face, posture, clothing, voice... We get the feeling that this person is dangerous before we have any obvious clues why.

If you were to think about it for a while, you would possibly make the connections. But the brain works fast because you don't always have time to think. The same intuitive feeling that makes you a good judge of character is what saved your ancestor from a leopard. He heard a noise, saw a little movement, and immediately felt a sense of danger before he even saw the predator.

Many species have that kind of sense. Dogs can pick up on details just like humans can. Many dogs will immediately dislike someone just from a few seconds of watching them. Posture, voice, expression... dogs can pick up on it and get anxious. It's helpful in determining friend or foe, or deciding where to go and where to avoid.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]