Intuitive Counselor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Intuitive Counselor
I was flipping through the channels when I stumbled upon a guy named Tony LeRoy (an "intuitive counselor") on The Dr. Oz Show. He claimed he could use his intuition to determine things about peoples' lives and health concerns their doctors may not find out (such as if they had heart problems).

I sat and watched in total dismay as people came up on stage and he drew goofy geometric figures of them to tell them about their lives. "Oh, see, this tells me you're having a lot of headaches" or "this squiggle tells me that you don't know who your friends are right now."

What do you think causes people to fall into voodoo like this? Does anybody else find it as repulsive as I do to make a life out of lying to people?

Here's a link to a couple of small clips from the episode:
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/whats-yo...ideo=16593
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2013, 03:31 PM
RE: Intuitive Counselor
As soon as I read "Dr. Oz" I was done...don't know about the other guy...such crap and mumbo jumbo, people searching for an answer that doesn't require any work or cause any pain.
There have always been and will always be snake oil salesmen as long as people fall for the pitch.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-01-2013, 03:32 PM
(25-01-2013 03:28 PM)DylanC Wrote:  What do you think causes people to fall into voodoo like this?

Stupidity.

And/or the mind-numbing fear that there isn't "something more", other than what is here, on Earth. Pretty much what leads them to religion.

And sometimes - desperation. This is the saddest reason and what makes those who do stuff like this the vile creatures that they are.

Quote:Does anybody else find it as repulsive as I do to make a life out of lying to people?

Yeah. Those things should be thrown in jail and kept there.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
25-01-2013, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2013 09:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
There is a phenomenon called "impending doom" in Acute Coronary Syndrome, that has been studied. I think it's also more specific in certain very specific situations, (like Tamponade http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001245/ ), but it's never diagnostoc, and they always do ultrasounds to comfirm the findings.
http://heartdisease.about.com/od/coronar.../a/ACS.htm
It's woo woo. Shocked that Ozz would have that crap on his show. He is a professor at Columbia, (or he used to be).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

25-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Sadly, just about everyone has headaches and just about everyone has doubts about their relationships, even about their friends. Those two examples are so generic that the guy could have brought up each person in the audience and told them this junk and almost all of them would have agreed.

Why do people believe it?

The vast majority of Americans are raised to believe unprovable crap with far less evidence than what this guy has; at least Dr. Oz can show them the pretty lines and squiggles but what can religion show them? A dusty old book. I guess they're about even. So if it's OK to believe in one superstition with no evidence, why not believe in more than one?

OK, that's a big oversimplification but I also think it's at the heart of it, or at least nearby - some of us skeptically question what we're told, others just take things on faith. Some are in the middle, taking some things on faith and questioning others, but even they (often) only ask a few questions and then just roll with it, which is why the lines and squiggles impress them. Thankfully, there's always exceptions. Let's just hope the ID activists don't grind away all hope of future exceptions making it through schools with any sense of skepticism left.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
25-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all of the thoughts on this, fellas! I think as skeptics it's one of our duties to aid in stopping the spread of misinformation, but how can we combat people who get televised doing these things? Are they always going to reach the broader audience?
25-01-2013, 09:39 PM
(25-01-2013 03:28 PM)DylanC Wrote:  I was flipping through the channels when I stumbled upon a guy named Tony LeRoy (an "intuitive counselor") on The Dr. Oz Show. He claimed he could use his intuition to determine things about peoples' lives and health concerns their doctors may not find out (such as if they had heart problems).

I sat and watched in total dismay as people came up on stage and he drew goofy geometric figures of them to tell them about their lives. "Oh, see, this tells me you're having a lot of headaches" or "this squiggle tells me that you don't know who your friends are right now."

What do you think causes people to fall into voodoo like this? Does anybody else find it as repulsive as I do to make a life out of lying to people?

Here's a link to a couple of small clips from the episode:
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/whats-yo...ideo=16593

That's sad. People will believe he's endorsing that because he wears scrubs and uses big words like the "doctors" on Greys Anatomy. Meanwhile my friend is doing his banana diet. So far it's not working well.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

25-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I get to see it every day. My boss is a bit of a health nut and over the last couple of years has completely bought in to all of the homeopathy bull. Every day I have to listen to the latest thing he's read. He thinks the ionized foot baths are the greatest thing since sliced bread. It sucks because he's a pretty skeptical guy otherwise. He even has a hard time buying into religion.
I'd love to be able to say something to him about it but he takes it so seriously and the last guy I want to piss off is my boss. Hey, it makes him happy. Gotta pick your battles.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
25-01-2013, 11:18 PM
(25-01-2013 11:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I get to see it every day. My boss is a bit of a health nut and over the last couple of years has completely bought in to all of the homeopathy bull. Every day I have to listen to the latest thing he's read. He thinks the ionized foot baths are the greatest thing since sliced bread. It sucks because he's a pretty skeptical guy otherwise. He even has a hard time buying into religion.
I'd love to be able to say something to him about it but he takes it so seriously and the last guy I want to piss off is my boss. Hey, it makes him happy. Gotta pick your battles.

Good heavens! Ask if he's ever read James Randi on the subject Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2013, 05:18 AM
(25-01-2013 11:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I get to see it every day. My boss is a bit of a health nut and over the last couple of years has completely bought in to all of the homeopathy bull.
Ask him why the water he drinks doesn't taste of all the piss and shit that it's been mixed with over the years. Drinking Beverage

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]