Invasive Species

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2013, 10:31 AM
RE: Invasive Species
(26-04-2013 07:05 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Full.

Quote:we'll probably end up trying to define tribal

It can be a broad term, but specifically we're talking about societies below the Dunbar number (eg, neither chieftancies nor civilisations).

The most correct term is band (or band tribe).

So who are these fishermen? Are they a tribe that lives in isolation like the Yanomami, or are they just Indonesian villagers? And why do they blow up their reefs? My guess is that it's not for shits and giggles.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I don't know how many villagers live in each of these places, but I only saw a dozen or so structures. I'll post a photo or two when I get home.

The reason they dynamite the reefs is that it's easy fishing! Kills and stuns every living thing and they float to the surface and easily gathered! They either have no clue what the actual outcome will be or don't care.

We were in the water when one of these bombs went off in the distance, the sound waves reverberated throughout our bodies, scared the crap out of me! Needless to say we left the area.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
More on the Lionfish issue

Ocean Invaders (how sensational!)

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/4438-map...pid=525423

Notice the ballast water issue referenced in the article.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
08-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Cane Toads.

Well, my interjection connects with the title.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
08-05-2013, 06:41 AM
(08-05-2013 02:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Cane Toads.

Well, my interjection connects with the title.

I know that Australia is overrun with invasives, rabbits for one, Cane Toads too?

08-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Cane Toads, Rabbits, Goats, Cats, Foxes, Camels. European Carp. Boat People.

We're getting overrun here!

Fun fact about the Euro Carp, in my state, if you catch a European Carp, you are not allowed to return it to water, dead or alive, by law.

08-05-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 07:08 PM by Full Circle.)
(08-05-2013 06:48 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Cane Toads, Rabbits, Goats, Cats, Foxes, Camels. European Carp. Boat People.

We're getting overrun here!

Fun fact about the Euro Carp, in my state, if you catch a European Carp, you are not allowed to return it to water, dead or alive, by law.

Do you know why?

In many instances when female fish are stressed, they will release any eggs they may be carrying, probably unfertilzed but your peeps aren't taking any chances.

08-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Of course we wont take chances with them, they are making things too hard for the other fish natural to the region and thus are damaging the ecosystem in rivers and such they have occupied.

Plus nobody tries to catch them because nobody wants to eat them, because they taste like shit.

08-05-2013, 07:00 PM
My wife/dive buddy nailed this big one today! The first shot bounced off its bony head, the second one found it's mark. She's pretty deadly ( I walk a fine line around my house Unsure )

[attachment=1372]

08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
What a majestic creature, it's a shame you people have to go around exterminating them.

Our waters are full of the bastards, we're fine. I guess that just shows where the badass aquatic life exists.

08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
(08-05-2013 07:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My wife/dive buddy nailed this big one today! The first shot bounced off its bony head, the second one found it's mark. She's pretty deadly ( I walk a fine line around my house Unsure )

Be careful. I believe Lionfish are poisonous.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade