Invasive Species

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 04:23 PM
RE: Invasive Species
(29-03-2015 04:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  For the Yabut who are you crowd:

In case anyone has noticed I’ve been mostly absent from the Forum for the last few weeks because I have been incredibly and exhaustively busy doing what I love to do, and that is collect fish data and spend my days underwater.

As part of the ongoing research on the invasive Pterois volitans, Red Lionfish, a small number of us have been counting and removing these fish from 42 sites spaced out over 50 miles of reef off the Florida Keys.

Preliminary numbers are showing that in the last two years culling has reduced their population substantially and recruitment to the sites has been slow. Good stuff!

On another front things are moving forward co-authoring a paper on changes and differences that have occured over the last 50 years on a nearby reef tract. The original author, a published marine biologist that has been featured in National Geographic when SCUBA and underwater photography was still in its infancy, has seen fit to ask my wife and I to contribute our own work to the article/paper. This is very exciting for us!

Needless to say I am spending a ton of time on these two fronts and now that the weather is finally cooperating I suspect I’ll be growing gills soon.

Anyway, just an update on my life. I try to keep up with the goings on the Forum but as usual things move quickly here. Apparently everyone from AF is now here, a welcome addition except for one chew toy we thought we had gotten rid of for good.

Now back to work/play & crunch data. Smartass

Thanks for the update FC Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the AF invasion. Tongue (I hadn't checked the date)
[+] 1 user Likes Kitty Galore's post
29-03-2015, 05:50 PM
My apologies if this has already been posted, but, I didn't have time to read through.
There is an attempt being made to train Caribbean Reef Sharks to hunt lion-fish. So there may be hope.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
31-03-2015, 07:28 AM
(29-03-2015 05:50 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  My apologies if this has already been posted, but, I didn't have time to read through.
There is an attempt being made to train Caribbean Reef Sharks to hunt lion-fish. So there may be hope.

This is a horrible idea that has only trained sharks to equate divers with food. People aren't very good at thinking things through. We've been chased out of the water because of this Pavlov-style conditioning.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-04-2015, 10:03 PM
For any of you interested in Lionfish and the impact they are having on our reefs and fish stock this is a comprehensive and well made short documentary. I know and have worked with a few of these folks in the removal of Lionfish and educating the public.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce