Investing under Trump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 08:37 AM by Heath_Tierney.)
RE: Investing under Trump
My completely amateur opinion on investment strategies, in order of my personal preference:
  • Cash is king
  • Gold, the obvious hedge against inflation
  • Pharmaceuticals, especially ones that specialize in treating tropical diseases. As climate change gallops along, tropical diseases continue to spread into areas not yet afflicted. Source: Mosquito-borne Diseases on the Uptick
  • Stay away from investing in red states. Right-winger's fawning of supply-side economics is driven by ideology, not common sense. It just doesn't work. Look at Kansas as an example. Source: Supply-Side Doom in Kansas
  • Private educational institutions. The Federal government is likely to slash education spending in order to drive students to the for-profit market. Many of these schools will be religious-based, which means that thoughtful parents will ensure their kids will go to secular schools (or send them overseas) to get a decent education.
Depending upon your jurisdiction, dividend income may be taxable at a lower rate than other income so that's worth considering when deciding on stock picks. (It is in Canada but I don't know about the US or other places.)

*edit to add*

Expect volatility. Trump clearly doesn't really know what he is doing and is more interested in picking twitter fights and tilting at every windmill. If you can ride out two year's of volatility - I expect Trump will be impeached before the end of his first term due to Russian entanglements, his conflicts of interest and the Enoulments Clause - then you'll probably be ok.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2017, 06:03 PM
RE: Investing under Trump
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/s...ar-AAmpQO0

Quote: The Dow Jones industrial average fell around 120 points after sliding more than 223.39 points, dropping below 20,000, with Goldman Sachs (GS) contributing the most losses. The S&P 500 dropped 0.6 percent, with energy shedding 1.7 percent.
The Nasdaq composite underperformed, falling 0.8 percent.

Quote:"The Trump worries are now beginning to set in," said Peter Cardillo, chief market economist at First Standard Financial. "We're having this ongoing worry effect that could overtake earnings and economic data."

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply