Invigorated and Alive.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
RE: Invigorated and Alive.
(09-12-2012 09:38 AM)Vera Wrote:  ...
PS. And another thing - we know you are filthy rich.

Not rich. Just Jewish!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't like flying. I haven't done it often, but it's awful. Beautiful but just awful.

My first commercial flight was to Winterpeg and I was shitting bricks. It was April. Anyways the flight had a few instances of turbulence, but they were mild, and I found myself kind of becoming comfortable. Much to the pleasure of the old lady next to me.

It was a nice plane with big seats and televisions in the head rests. I watched a couple of movies. Then I began to wonder why we weren't landing. The pilot did not come on the loudspeaker like movies had made me believe he would. Instead the flight attendents came around and told us that the weather around winterpeg was too poor to land in so we were going to do circles and hope it cleared up.

I was a heavy smoker at this point in life and I was already niccing out pretty severely. Anyways, we circled for another two hours or so, when the pilot actually did come onto the loud speaker telling us we were running low on fuel and were going to land in Saskatoon to refuel. I was stressing.

We fly over and land. Then we are forced to sit on the plane for another hour and a half or so to refuel and do the legal safety checks. By the way Saskatoon is fucking flat. There's nothing going on. I watched one long stretch of road the whole way and saw one truck. That's it. One.

After we take off again we are forced to circle Winterpeg for some inordinate amount of time before it's deemed safe to land. The landing was fucking rocky. So much so everyone burst into applause and hooting upon not dying.

The whole time in winterpeg I was dreading the return flight. Which actually was fine, though the plane was kind of lame. No tv, no radio, small seats... lame. And holy hell, Winterpeg earns it's nickname something fierce. It was April like I said and not only was there still snow everywhere and like 20 below but it snowed heavily the day we were leaving. Bad place to be a smoker who has to smoke outside. Also a surprising amount of wannabe gangsters roaming the dirt mounds.

Glad your alive homie. Don't fly. Flying is unpleasant.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
(09-12-2012 09:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
PS. And another thing - we know you are filthy rich.

Not rich. Just Jewish!
Oh yeah, yet another thing - pick an ethnicity, while you're at it. Jewish, Welsh, and I'm sure there were a couple others at least.

On the other hand, at this point it's difficult not to think of you like this:
[Image: 1384597_700b.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
(09-12-2012 09:53 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I don't like flying. I haven't done it often, but it's awful. Beautiful but just awful.

My first commercial flight was to Winterpeg and I was shitting bricks. It was April. Anyways the flight had a few instances of turbulence, but they were mild, and I found myself kind of becoming comfortable. Much to the pleasure of the old lady next to me.

It was a nice plane with big seats and televisions in the head rests. I watched a couple of movies. Then I began to wonder why we weren't landing. The pilot did not come on the loudspeaker like movies had made me believe he would. Instead the flight attendents came around and told us that the weather around winterpeg was too poor to land in so we were going to do circles and hope it cleared up.

I was a heavy smoker at this point in life and I was already niccing out pretty severely. Anyways, we circled for another two hours or so, when the pilot actually did come onto the loud speaker telling us we were running low on fuel and were going to land in Saskatoon to refuel. I was stressing.

We fly over and land. Then we are forced to sit on the plane for another hour and a half or so to refuel and do the legal safety checks. By the way Saskatoon is fucking flat. There's nothing going on. I watched one long stretch of road the whole way and saw one truck. That's it. One.

After we take off again we are forced to circle Winterpeg for some inordinate amount of time before it's deemed safe to land. The landing was fucking rocky. So much so everyone burst into applause and hooting upon not dying.

The whole time in winterpeg I was dreading the return flight. Which actually was fine, though the plane was kind of lame. No tv, no radio, small seats... lame. And holy hell, Winterpeg earns it's nickname something fierce. It was April like I said and not only was there still snow everywhere and like 20 below but it snowed heavily the day we were leaving. Bad place to be a smoker who has to smoke outside. Also a surprising amount of wannabe gangsters roaming the dirt mounds.

Glad your alive homie. Don't fly. Flying is unpleasant.
I take it that means you won't be flying into Winnipeg Int. to visit me any time soon? Lol

Check out the song, "I hate Winnipeg" by "The Weaker Thans". I suspect it will entertain you.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Holy crap! Love the narrative and glad you're alright.

I love flying but rarely get to do it. Longest flight was this past summer en route to Guam....13 hours from Atlanta to Tokyo. First time on a 747 (2 aisles and 9 bathrooms? I was like a little kid discovering Legoland). I always request a window seat, and several times I looked out the window and thought, "Hm. Something fails on this thing and we're going down there." It was more amazement at the technology keeping us in the air, and kind of intrigue about what it might be like if we did crash. Not that I'm asking for it, of course.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
When I had the same thing happen (except for the circling, it was just straight down, then the plane sideways one way, then the other, then stuttering upward just to fall again) no one screamed or prayed. It was a small propeller plane, and it was pushed and pummelled around. Everyone just sat there motionless, grasping the arm rests, chalk white in the face. Neither the pilot nor the stewardess ever said a word.

All I could think is "shit, shit, shit"!!! And worried about my husband getting on by himself.

Didn't stop me from flying a lot afterwards (although I have pretty much quit now, years later, sick of being herded around like cattle in airports and ran out of upgrades, can't stand the small seats for 10 hours at a time).

Glad you made it through. Flying is still the safest mode of transportation. Just a pain in the ass.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Cool story, but really, pick a Middle Earth character (though Radagast is not technically from Middle Earth, but whatever...) and stick with it.

Why?

(09-12-2012 09:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  ...
Oh yeah, yet another thing - pick an ethnicity, while you're at it. Jewish, Welsh, and I'm sure there were a couple others at least.

And why?

Diversity is de rigueur.

Consider

Perhaps the word is.... mongrel.

09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
(09-12-2012 10:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Why?
Multiple personality disorder? Consider

For me it's always been Aragorn, though (even use his various names as parts of my passwords). I guess I've always been pretty boring, no bad boys, or some such crap...

Quote:Perhaps the word is.... mongrel.
The very same word I was thinking of.

[Image: sad_mongrel_puppy-t2_thumb.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."