Iran gives death sentence for blasphemy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: Iran gives death sentence for blasphemy.
(18-09-2014 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 09:33 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  *Fixt*

I was going to say that, but even the Commonwealth of Massachusetts still has a blasphemy law on the books. Weeping

Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 272, Section 36:
Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

Well then...so much for that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2014, 09:42 AM

I was going to say that, but even the Commonwealth of Massachusetts still has a blasphemy law on the books. Weeping

Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

Further, in this very pro-choice state, there is technically a law prohibiting any abortion.

Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 272, Section 19.
Whoever, with intent to procure the miscarriage of a woman, unlawfully administers to her, or advises or prescribes for her, or causes any poison, drug, medicine or other noxious thing to be taken by her or, with the like intent, unlawfully uses any instrument or other means whatever, or, with like intent, aids or assists therein, shall, if she dies in consequence thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than five nor more than twenty years; and, if she does not die in consequence thereof, by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than seven years and by a fine of not more than two thousand dollars.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Thank goodness Federal law trumps any state law. Wait did I just say that?

I'm going away...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-09-2014, 09:58 AM

... and that negates Rev's claim, how?

Angel

18-09-2014, 10:04 AM
(17-09-2014 02:57 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  http://www.iranhumanrights.org/2014/09/d...-facebook/

......and I'm afraid if things don't change, the good ole USA is fast heading in that same pitiful direction!Facepalm
18-09-2014, 10:23 AM
(18-09-2014 09:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  I was going to say that, but even the Commonwealth of Massachusetts still has a blasphemy law on the books. Weeping

... and that negates Rev's claim, how?

Angel

Dodgy

18-09-2014, 02:50 PM
(18-09-2014 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 09:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  I was going to say that, but even the Commonwealth of Massachusetts still has a blasphemy law on the books. Weeping

Further, in this very pro-choice state, there is technically a law prohibiting any abortion. Plenty of crazy laws and religious ones on the old state books.

Whoever, with intent to procure the miscarriage of a woman, unlawfully administers to her, or advises or prescribes for her, or causes any poison, drug, medicine or other noxious thing to be taken by her or, with the like intent, unlawfully uses any instrument or other means whatever, or, with like intent, aids or assists therein, shall, if she dies in consequence thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than five nor more than twenty years; and, if she does not die in consequence thereof, by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than seven years and by a fine of not more than two thousand dollars.

It's also a law that all men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-09-2014, 03:13 PM
(18-09-2014 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Further, in this very pro-choice state, there is technically a law prohibiting any abortion.

I think we can save the condemnation for places that actually enforce Blasphemy laws rather than ones where they are technically on the books but unenforceable.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
18-09-2014, 03:24 PM
(18-09-2014 03:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Further, in this very pro-choice state, there is technically a law prohibiting any abortion.

I think we can save the condemnation for places that actually enforce Blasphemy laws rather than ones where they are technically on the books but unenforceable.

I know, but this is TTA, after all. Big Grin

18-09-2014, 03:28 PM
(18-09-2014 02:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Further, in this very pro-choice state, there is technically a law prohibiting any abortion. Plenty of crazy laws and religious ones on the old state books.

It's also a law that all men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.

I'm pretty sure that one was repealed.