Irish Catholics have more in common with Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Irish Catholics have more in common with Atheists
So I was talking to a friend of mine (in Ireland) and he is having difficulty understanding my atheistic viewpoint.
I pointed out just how similar we really are, because in Ireland religion these days is much more moderate.

So here is some of what we agreed on.

Old testament, forget about it. The stories are crazy.
Homosexuality is not a sin.
Nobody is going to hell for eating meat on good friday.
His religion is an accident of geography.
The mass is symbolic, no-one is actually eating flesh or drinking blood.
He accepts the hypocrisy that while I have had only one faithful monogamous relationship, he has had many sexual relationships outside of marriage, and he is critical of my atheistic world view.

I would think that many of you who deal with religious folk would love to have agreement on the above. However he still considers my lack of religion as a curiosity and even questioned my nationalism as I have no faith.

All that leaves me with is Tradition. It is the done thing. What else would an Irish person do when there is a birth / death / wedding. We are Irish. We go to the church.

It seems like a major part of your life and world view to hand over to just tradition.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Eugryan's post
04-12-2014, 05:30 PM
RE: Irish Catholics have more in common with Atheists
I could have forgiven him for thinking atheism is odd, but questioning your nationalism? Infidel! Angry

When going to church is that deeply embedded in the identity of a people it makes it doubly hard to cast off.

Good luck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-12-2014, 05:46 PM
"More in common with atheists" ... hell, I always thought most of them were atheists... just that no one told them. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-12-2014, 05:53 PM
All of the things you agreed on are not atheism.
You disagree on the main point, he believes in a god and you (as an atheist) do not.
Calling the other stuff traditions doesn't change the fact that they are religious in nature. Connected to god through worship.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
(04-12-2014 05:46 PM)kim Wrote:  "More in common with atheists" ... hell, I always thought most of them were atheists... just that no one told them. Drinking Beverage

Well they are. They accept just one more god than atheists do. All the rest they deny.The "church" thing is not really "religion" (IMO) any longer. It's a "ritual" in religious garb. "marking passages" and significant moments with poems and music ... bla bla bla, isn't really "worshipping a god". In 2014, when they say "god is love", (which BTW they NEVER would have said or agreed with 250 years ago), all they mean is "when we say *god* we mean *the best that is in us*, or *our culture's highest ideals". They may not get that, but I see it all the time in my religious relatives.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-12-2014, 06:20 PM
(04-12-2014 05:19 PM)Eugryan Wrote:  What else would an Irish person do when there is a birth / death / wedding. We are Irish. We go to the church.

And drink like a fish.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Is this based on watching Father Ted?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
04-12-2014, 10:36 PM
I often wonder about people like this. Some of the stipulations you two agreed upon are contradicted by the teachings of the bible. How does he justify this? As far as I'm aware, the bible is the only thing that clearly states "god" is even a real entity. How can you throw out rules imposed by the bible, without saying "hey, if all this other stuff doesn't mean shit, why do I agree with the parts that says god is real??"

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
04-12-2014, 10:44 PM
So you're a catholic atheist, not a protestant atheist?

There's plenty of droves of open interpretative liberal church views in catholicism. I don't know if that's more common to the Irish catholics over the others; Since the teaching is that it really is the blood/body of Christ.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-12-2014, 08:25 AM
My thoughts are that this isn't World News...

[Image: oscar.png]