Irish Catholics have more in common with Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Re: Irish Catholics have more in common with Atheists
My great-grandfather (my father's side) was from Cork, so obviously Catholic. Smile It's not really a surprise that a mick like me was raised with that. I'm surprised he even admitted a lot of that. It felt to me they didn't really encourage thinking about such heresy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
RE: Irish Catholics have more in common with Atheists
Why again does he call himself Catholic? Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
05-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Most of my Catholic friends here in Dublin are non-practicing Catholics. I was brought up as a Catholic and here in Ireland Catholicism is entrenched in Irish culture and tradition. I go to church for weddings, funerals etc.... and head off to the pub afterwards to celebrate, get drunk and rekindle some old family feuds. In the churches eyes I am still a Cathofuckinglic, I was baptised and as far as I know I can't be unbaptized. It doesn't bother me, I know what I am and that's the important thing. My Catholic friends don't care about the fact I'm an atheist. We Irish like to gamble and will bet on anything. Some of my friends sort of place a bet / wager that God exists ( Pascal's wager sort of thing), just in case, and will use the "bet slip" to enter the pearly gates to heaven. If he doesn't exist, then who gives a fuck. They can't understand why I don't do the same.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
06-12-2014, 06:00 AM
The biggest thing Irish Catholics have in common with atheists is that we all hope a priest doesn't rape our children.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 2 users Like Elder Cunningham's post
18-12-2014, 07:50 AM
true they are not what atheism is. My point is that we hold much more common ground.
He identifies as a catholic christian, and yet all that really boils down to is tradition and a vague idea of a higher power based on a book that you selectively use to form some opinions.
The idea of a higher power is so vague it could even be nature. In which case i would recommend go for a walk in the forest instead of going to church.
The thing is we shared so much common ground, and yet he would have more respect for a person of another faith, with different holy book, and different traditions than he does for an atheist.

(04-12-2014 05:53 PM)pablo Wrote:  All of the things you agreed on are not atheism.
You disagree on the main point, he believes in a god and you (as an atheist) do not.
Calling the other stuff traditions doesn't change the fact that they are religious in nature. Connected to god through worship.
18-12-2014, 07:56 AM
its a la carte religion. do what you agree with and ignore the bits you disagree with. As it is in most religions.
And that was my point. we hold much more in common. except he wants to cling to tradition and a vague notion of a god

(04-12-2014 10:36 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I often wonder about people like this. Some of the stipulations you two agreed upon are contradicted by the teachings of the bible. How does he justify this? As far as I'm aware, the bible is the only thing that clearly states "god" is even a real entity. How can you throw out rules imposed by the bible, without saying "hey, if all this other stuff doesn't mean shit, why do I agree with the parts that says god is real??"
18-12-2014, 07:56 AM
(18-12-2014 07:50 AM)Eugryan Wrote:  true they are not what atheism is. My point is that we hold much more common ground.
He identifies as a catholic christian, and yet all that really boils down to is tradition and a vague idea of a higher power based on a book that you selectively use to form some opinions.
The idea of a higher power is so vague it could even be nature. In which case i would recommend go for a walk in the forest instead of going to church.
The thing is we shared so much common ground, and yet he would have more respect for a person of another faith, with different holy book, and different traditions than he does for an atheist.

(04-12-2014 05:53 PM)pablo Wrote:  All of the things you agreed on are not atheism.
You disagree on the main point, he believes in a god and you (as an atheist) do not.
Calling the other stuff traditions doesn't change the fact that they are religious in nature. Connected to god through worship.

Digging into the various definitions of god is a whole different can of woims.
18-12-2014, 07:58 AM
true. what i am trying to get my head around is how then can catholics have such resentment for atheists. It just does not make sense.

(05-12-2014 08:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  My thoughts are that this isn't World News...
18-12-2014, 08:00 AM
tradition, sheep mentality, lack of critical thinking, sure what else would you do when you marry, die etc etc

(05-12-2014 02:16 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Why again does he call himself Catholic? Consider
18-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Re: Irish Catholics have more in common with Atheists
This hopefully isn't true for all Catholics: When I was a good little Catholic boy I had all kinds of questions just as any kid. I was an altar boy and a couple times I had questions after Mass. My priest (an asshole who didn't like kids anyway) wouldn't answer questions and even said "Stop asking so many questions."

I'll admit that it was one jacknut, but he obviously didn't agree with Pope John Paul II who like kids' honest questions.

I think that for many Catholics it's a feeling that they're not encouraged to ask, yet we as atheists for the most part got here because we asked questions.