Ironic Fundie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Ironic Fundie
A fundamentalist, creationist friend just posted this C.S. Lewis quote to Facebook.

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ C.S. Lewis 'The Weight of Glory'

I found this quite ironic. I can't tell you how closed she actually is to knowledge about anthropology, biology, evolution, cosmology, geology, history, archaeology, physics, ect., when the conditions of the knowledge of those realities are "unfavorable" to her preexisting beliefs.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
19-10-2013, 02:47 PM
RE: Ironic Fundie
i think it rather refers to the stereotypical atheist's drive for knowledge.Drinking Beverage
21-10-2013, 12:47 PM
(19-10-2013 02:47 PM)odin Wrote:  i think it rather refers to the stereotypical atheist's drive for knowledge.Drinking Beverage

So, only atheists who were atheists before it was cool will achieve much? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-10-2013, 01:03 PM
(19-10-2013 02:40 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  A fundamentalist, creationist friend just posted this C.S. Lewis quote to Facebook.

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."

Like Charles Darwin...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
23-10-2013, 11:02 AM
(19-10-2013 02:40 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  A fundamentalist, creationist friend just posted this C.S. Lewis quote to Facebook.

I found this quite ironic. I can't tell you how closed she actually is to knowledge about anthropology, biology, evolution, cosmology, geology, history, archaeology, physics, ect., when the conditions of the knowledge of those realities are "unfavorable" to her preexisting beliefs.

Are you sure about her? One thing hasn't changed since ancient times. Many people, scholars and authorities want to debate/disprove Christianity. And...?

I can debate anthropology, biology, evolution, cosmology, geology, history, archaeology, physics, to show that they indicate the Bible is accurate. Sorry. I think you're just taking your friend not at face value as an honest debater.
23-10-2013, 11:22 AM
(23-10-2013 11:02 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I can debate anthropology, biology, evolution, cosmology, geology, history, archaeology, physics, to show that they indicate the Bible is accurate.

That is the MOST funny thing I've read today...
Thanks for the laugh...

Shoo fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-10-2013, 11:29 AM
(23-10-2013 11:02 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I can debate anthropology, biology, evolution, cosmology, geology, history, archaeology, physics, to show that they indicate the Bible is accurate. Sorry. I think you're just taking your friend not at face value as an honest debater.

I haven't seen you have much success here when you attempt to pair science while the bible. Your attempt, for example, to claim that the world was relatively flat and pitted, like an orange, and thus capable of being flooded was embarrassingly debunked. You've also shown incredible misunderstanding of scientific topics, which was pointed out by those who actually do understand them (their comments ignored by you, of course). You have a single, inflexible conclusion around which you continue to try and build evidence.

I have yet to see a theist admit a dissonance between the bible and real world observations; her quote is incredibly ironic.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 3 users Like guitar_nut's post
23-10-2013, 11:38 AM
...ummm C.S. Lewis believed in evolution.

Quote by him:

I am not either attacking or defending Evolution. I believe that Christianity can still be believed, even if Evolution is true.

He believed in evolution before he was a Christian and refused to renounce it after.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-10-2013, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 01:25 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(23-10-2013 11:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...ummm C.S. Lewis believed in evolution.

Quote by him:

I am not either attacking or defending Evolution. I believe that Christianity can still be believed, even if Evolution is true.

He believed in evolution before he was a Christian and refused to renounce it after.

I will freely admit I'm no great student of Mr. Lewis, so I would not know his particular take or view on a great many things. The two things I do know about him: he writes a lot of works from a Christian perspective, and he said this quote (unless my friend lied about that).

From that stand point, I remain firm. I’d congratulate him for not abandoning his understanding of evolution for his adherence to his chosen religion. But the quote, nonetheless, retains the ironic quality I’m referring to. If it’s not his denial of evolution, as you’ve stated it is not, then it’s any of the other aspects of reality that he must deny in order to remain able to believe the particular religion of which he believes.

But really, my point was not even about him. I could have left his name off, and just said that my friend posted this, but I thought it would be inappropriate not to at least cite the quotation. I posted this thread because of my friend,...
(19-10-2013 02:40 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  A fundamentalist, creationist friend just posted this...quote...I found this quite ironic. I can't tell you how closed she actually is to knowledge...when the conditions of the knowledge of those realities are "unfavorable" to her preexisting beliefs.
...and anyone one of the many other people, that most likely virtually everyone else here knows one of, who make statements like this, but deny direct evidence in front of them because knowledge of those things is unfavorable to their own personal beliefs. And therein lays the rub. They do not in fact “want knowledge so badly despite it being unfavorable” to their beliefs. They are in fact in direct opposition to this very quote, my own friend specifically in this case for whom I am referencing (whom does not accept evolution). They are not seeking knowledge, despite unfavorable conditions. They are denying knowledge, for the very reason that it is unfavorable.

They desire to believe, more than they have a desire to know.

23-10-2013, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 02:14 PM by Dark Light.)
I dunno why this particular persons personal views on evolution matters at all. In proud TTA tradition...

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post