Irrational Hatred for Law Enforcement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: Irrational Hatred for Law Enforcement
(13-05-2014 11:01 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I guess it just bothers me that even when a cop does something completely reasonable, some people will go to great lengths to portray their actions as unnecessary. Whether that cop is an asshole or not doesn't really change the fact, for example, that he was probably completely justified in shooting a suspect 11 times because he pulled out a knife in front of him and tried to stab him. Some people will fight tooth and nail over such an incident and claim it was an abuse of power because he didn't need to unload so many bullets or some other retarded excuse. As if they know how they would respond if they had a gun with 17 rounds chambered and somebody pulled out a knife RIGHT in front of them and intended to stab them. Unloading nearly the whole clip out of reflex response to a situation you weren't expecting doesn't sound that bizarre to me.

It isn't. I went through the police academy. We trained with open ended scenarios with bad guy actors with real guns loaded with paint pellets instead of live ammo, and things go to hell so fast you don't really even have time to think until it is over. I can't believe it when someone says "they could have just shot them in the leg." Shit, in the real deal most cops are lucky to hit them at all.... adrenaline and fear of imminent death does bad things to fine marksmanship.

(13-05-2014 11:01 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  If somebody is an asshole, attack them for the reasons they are an asshole, don't pull at straws in situations where they acted a way any normal human would.

Maybe that's the main source of my discontent with that mentality. Consider

Anyway, I'm sorry if I've given the wrong impression to anyone. I don't think any of you are irrational for assuming most cops are assholes, I would agree with that inclination. Just don't be like the typical youtube commenting jackass that cries abuse when a cop does what anybody would expect any human being to do under similar circumstances.

Ultimately it is counter productive. When people who aren't already convinced see those kinds of complaints, the effect is to lead them to categorize all police criticisers as unfounded jackasses that cry abuse when a cop does what anybody would expect any human being to do under similar circumstances.

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
13-05-2014, 11:19 AM
(13-05-2014 11:12 AM)djhall Wrote:  Ultimately it is counter productive. When people who aren't already convinced see those kinds of complaints, the effect is to lead them to categorize all police criticisers as unfounded jackasses that cry abuse when a cop does what anybody would expect any human being to do under similar circumstances.

That's what motivated me to make this thread. I went to great pains to try and make sure that I wasn't coming across as somebody that considered all complaints about the law enforcement system as whining. I'm keenly aware of the egregious abuses of police and the inept, if not nearly non-existent, system of internal review.

But the unfounded jackasses were very specifically the type I was attacking. I don't think anybody who has responded is an unfounded jackass.

You say you went through the academy, were you ever an active duty officer?

[Image: giphy.gif]
13-05-2014, 11:31 AM
(13-05-2014 11:19 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 11:12 AM)djhall Wrote:  Ultimately it is counter productive. When people who aren't already convinced see those kinds of complaints, the effect is to lead them to categorize all police criticisers as unfounded jackasses that cry abuse when a cop does what anybody would expect any human being to do under similar circumstances.

That's what motivated me to make this thread. I went to great pains to try and make sure that I wasn't coming across as somebody that considered all complaints about the law enforcement system as whining. I'm keenly aware of the egregious abuses of police and the inept, if not nearly non-existent, system of internal review.

But the unfounded jackasses were very specifically the type I was attacking. I don't think anybody who has responded is an unfounded jackass.

You say you went through the academy, were you ever an active duty officer?

Sorry for confusing your post. It really is an almost visceral reaction for me anymore. It's why I "get" the unfounded jackasses, however, I do actually try to find out what actually happened before making comments about it. The unfounded jackasses are a lot like me, except intellectually lazy. They use the first conclusion that snaps into their mind and look no further. Yeah, they need to calm the fuck down and not react so quickly/instinctually, but it is understandable why they would automatically assume that the cop was in the wrong.

I have to admit that when I hear of the police shooting anyone, my first gut reaction is "fucking pigs", but before saying anything publicly on the topic, I at least make sure I know all the available facts of the situation.

Also, the semi anonymous nature of the internet makes it easier to just spout off whatever comes to mind and not worry about it's accuracy. It's easier to ignore facts and dissent when silence is just the click of a button away.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
13-05-2014, 12:55 PM
(13-05-2014 11:31 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I have to admit that when I hear of the police shooting anyone, my first gut reaction is "fucking pigs", but before saying anything publicly on the topic, I at least make sure I know all the available facts of the situation.

Absolutely. Consider one of the most outrageous examples: When news hit that a white vigilante rent-a-cop, George Zimmerman, shot and killed an unarmed black teen on his way home from the store, naturally, like everybody else I felt Zimmerman was guilty of murder. And he wasn't even a cop, and wasn't doing his job. Plus the fact is I cannot relate to Zimmerman at all. I've never touched a gun and hopefully never will. I'd never go on a neighborhood watch. And I'm a total wimp; even if I saw someone stealing a car, I'd quietly call the police and never confront him....

BUT, try to put yourself in Zimmerman's shoes. Even if we accept that Zimmerman is a racist, vigilante wanna-be cop who should have listened to the police when they told him to back off, and we accept that he was stalking Trayvon Martin unfairly and that Trayvon was justifiably pissed off, the fact is that doesn't given't Trayvon an excuse to murder Zimmerman. So, _IF_ Zimmerman's claim is true that he kept his distance and Trayvon is the one who confronted him and tried to kill Zimmerman by banging Zimmerman's head in the sidewalk and Zimmerman reasonably feared for his life, well, no matter what a douche-bag Zimmerman is, he would be entitled to defend himself with whatever was at his disposal. The problem is that there were no witnesses besides Trayvon and Zimmerman, and Trayvon was dead, so the jury has to rule "beyond a reasonable doubt" after hearing only Zimmerman's side of the story.

Complicated confrontations like this are inevitable, even amongst the most peaceful society. However, I believe djhall nailed it when he said "This is the problem we have created by taking law and law enforcement so far beyond the core protection of individual liberties against people we are legitimately afraid of and making it a weapon for use against people whose behavior we don't like and we are simply mad at." We've got a system where we're all taught that whenever somebody is doing something we don't like, force must be used to stop them which makes this all too common.
16-05-2014, 07:40 AM
I actually made a FB post about this very recently. It ended up sparking a lengthy discussion with a friend. It all started with this picture:

[Image: 10363839_797866630233902_1371543001396858502_n.jpg]

My post was as follows (beginning with actual comments taken from the original picture):

"Police hard at work." "Thank you for you services, officer! That job must be so hard."

They spray people with mace, everyone gets pissed. They relax and spray people playfully with water, everyone gets condescending. They're damned if they do, and they're damned if they fucking don't.

The truth is that people just hate cops because…well, because they're cops. There is no logic or reason. Just juvenile, adolescent-minded resentment of all things authority regardless of the situation or context.

*Friend makes a comment about being paranoid about cops*

Paranoia is one thing. Blind hatred is another. "Fuck the police!" says a friend, and yet, I'm an aspiring cop who would do nothing but help them in every way possible if the opportunity presented itself. I'd even help people who I would otherwise consider "trash" for whatever reason.

Many cops throw a shit-fit if you even hint at the hypothetical possibility of harming them. (Such as pointing a water-gun at their face) As a result, people shit all over them. But this dude plays along like a cool guy and people in the OP are STILL shitting all over him because he's apparently not doing his job.

There's just no pleasing these people. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that they simply hate police officers regardless, and will find any reason (be it valid or invalid) to shit on them. I know people who are like this personally. It's not reasonable, and it makes me fucking weep for the intellectual state of our species.

*Friend mentions riots resulting from officer error*

People aren't reasonable. Particularly when they're in a group. It's in our evolution to be this way, but for the sake of living fuck, I wish we could just move past it. But the problem is that it's virulent. One person hates on someone (cop or otherwise, but particularly with cops) and another person is quick to jump on board because they don't like that person either. People don't like cops. Firefighters in uniform are sexy to women, but cops aren't, because cops can get you in trouble. Cops can tell you what to do - even within perfect reason - and people don't like that. Instinctually, people don't like that. They never take the time to actually fucking think about it.

"I don't wanna wear my seatbelt!" Ok, cool, but when I'm driving in the car with you, I'd rather you not become a 200lb bullet upon collision at 70MPH. That would really suck for me. So thank you, officer, for telling him to put on his seatbelt.

"Speed limits are stupid and just acquire revenue for the state!" Cool story, but my kids play on the street and I'd really rather you didn't smash into them and turn them into burger. We've got a penalty in place to motivate you to not speed. Don't wanna pay the penalty? Don't speed. Simple.

It's generally at this point that I'm called a "cop-sucker" and get shit on by everyone, so I'm gonna stick a bottle in my mouth. (Not that I need any more) But you get the idea.

*Friend mentions she respects cops, and I'm more than a little tipsy by this point, so I'm all sentimental and shit*

I used to hate cops. Despise them, even. But why?

Because I saw a photo online of a cop getting his dick sucked by some blurred-face chick and invented a backstory in my mind that made me hate him more. Then I just translated that over to all cops in general because, hey, how do I know which ones are like him and which ones aren't?

Then I grew up and realized that, regardless of occupation, some people are shitty and some people aren't. Some cops get their cocks sucked instead of arresting the drunk chick, and some don't. Some teachers fuck their underaged students, and some don't. Some paramedics touch women inappropriately during evaluation, and some don't. Some doctors make sexual remarks/actions against their unconscious patients, and some don't. It's the ay of the world. Some people are shitty, and some people aren't.

Then, when I insisted that I become a cop so that I could be one of the good ones, I realized there are certainly others like me. Others who aren't complete assholes who really do just want to help. I then considered the ever-present fact of Human error. Even the best of cops find themselves in fucked-up situations and they can't always think of every single fucking variable, action and possible outcome. Sometimes they literally have no time to do anything but act on instinct, and then someone's kid gets shot, or their dog, or an innocent man, or whateverthefuck, and then every turns the guy into a fucking pariah because, well, hindsight is 20-fucking-20, isn't it? But the cop wasn't a bad guy. He simply acted on psychology; an area of his brain which no amount of training or preparation could have ever accounted for. Fucked up shit happens and, sometimes, it's not *actually* anyone's fault. It just happened. But they demonize him anyway, because he's a cop, and because he's held to a higher standard due to his profession, and even the slightest error adds fuel to the already-burning fire of resentment and hatred for authority figures who, in honesty, are simply trying to make the world a better place for everyone. Not always is that the case, no. But get a cop alone, as I actually have, and know that he/she is just a human being who wants to put food on the table for their family and help some people in the process.

That's why reactions to the picture above make me so fucking angry. Not just because they're shitting on cops with no reason at all, but because they're not being intellectually sound. They're human, yeah, but come the fuck on, people. Wake up. THINK a bit.

But I know they won't, so I know Humanity is lost, and so I drink. Just get me the fuck away from these animals.

That was a lot longer than I expected it to be; my apologies. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post