Irrational thoughts that still creep into your mind, even though you know better

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Irrational thoughts that still creep into your mind, even though you know better
Every time I open a fortune cookie, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Yes, this was actually written for me specifically."

When I'm trying to fall asleep, I have to be completely covered with blankets from the neck down. If my foot is exposed, the pervading thought of a hand trying to grab my ankle puts me into a mild panic mode.

...and this one is the most embarrassing for me:
I subconsciously give the microwave oven about a second "for the radiation to dissipate" before I open it; my brain has apparently decided that's how long it takes for all those photons to escape from my food. lol

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
11-01-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: Irrational thoughts that still creep into your mind, even though you know better
Perhaps not what you're looking for, but what I notice more and more with every passing day is how few of these I have left. The product of quite a few years of applying critical thinking to my old habits and superstitions.

I'm really struggling to think of one now.... Sad

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
11-01-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Irrational thoughts that still creep into your mind, even though you know better
Though I cross off the days on my calendar at work, I never cross of the day till it's the next day. Even weekend days are left alone till I am back at work on Monday. Some weird thing about not marking off days that aren't done yet.

It's harmless so I don't really worry about it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Oh, all sorts of stuff, especially the scary ones, even though I have convinced myself they're not real.

Seeing figures in the dark and closing my eyes trying to calm down, still thinking that a scary alien will come down the stairs in my house, stuff like that.

Oh, I do the microwave thing too. For some reason I cannot open it immediately. You're not alone! Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
11-01-2015, 03:27 PM
A, still manifest, childhood fear; something will tear my ear off while I sleep unless it's under the covers.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
11-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I still buy the occasional lottery ticket.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-01-2015, 03:32 PM
(11-01-2015 03:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  I still buy the occasional lottery ticket.

Yabut that's just probability and our innate attraction to risk*.

Believing that your specific lottery numbers are going to win......that's a different story. Big Grin

* Yeah, I play the lottery. Smile

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
11-01-2015, 03:39 PM
I played baseball in high school and baseball players are the most superstitious bunch you’ll ever find.

Don’t step on the lines
Wear the same socks, hat, underwear the next day if you win
Thrown the ball twice and only twice to each guy as you warm up
Lucky numbers, lucky food, lucky gum
Chew only one piece of gum the entire game
Don’t spit on the lines

The not stepping on lines took a while for me to break but now I don’t pay any attention or step on them on purpose if I even look down just to challenge the gods.
Fuck the line gods is what I say!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-01-2015, 03:53 PM
(11-01-2015 03:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The not stepping on lines took a while for me to break but now I don’t pay any attention or step on them on purpose if I even look down just to challenge the gods.

It would be great if that actually gave you an edge, no?

Me.
17-01-2015, 02:47 AM
I keep my faith in humanity even though I know it is totally unfounded and all it does it put me at unnecessary risk.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 2 users Like Cetaceaphile's post