Irrational thoughts that still creep into your mind, even though you know better

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2015, 04:05 AM
RE: Irrational thoughts that still creep into your mind, even though you know better
I have an irrational fear of Islamic extremists.

No... wait!

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
17-01-2015, 04:10 AM
RE: Irrational thoughts that still creep into your mind, even though you know better
I have to sleep with the blinds down and closed because the thought of aliens looking in freaks me the fuck out.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
17-01-2015, 06:33 AM
When something unusual happens and the urge to attribute it to a god. Like someone in the line at a restaurant ahead of us that pays our meal. The thought just pops up, but then I get amused at my silly primate brain looking for patterns.

After something good happened, then my water heater sprung a leak. The meal was a $20 positive surprise, the water heater was a $400 negative surprise.

I think I'll stop trying to keep score on stupid random stuff.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
17-01-2015, 06:38 AM
I've been that way with the mircrowave before

I used to do a stepping thing where when walking over cracks of sidewalk blocks I would try to equal my times of my right foot going over it with my left foot going over. And if i stepped on the crack once with my right foot I'd try to even that out by intentionally doing so with my left foot... because...

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
17-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Latest:

TTA Survey shows strong positive correlation between religious-thinking and OCD!

"Cracks in the pavement are a sign of the Devil" said one ex-sufferer.

"I've saved a fortune in tin foil since I got rid of my microwave" said another anonymous contributor.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
17-01-2015, 07:04 AM
(11-01-2015 03:32 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 03:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  I still buy the occasional lottery ticket.

Yabut that's just probability and our innate attraction to risk*.

Believing that your specific lottery numbers are going to win......that's a different story. Big Grin

* Yeah, I play the lottery. Smile

I always thought of it as a tax on people who are bad at math.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-01-2015, 01:12 PM
"Man I hate the dark... I know nothing is IN the dark, but what if a werewolf totally jumps out of the closet?"

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 5 users Like Logisch's post
18-01-2015, 04:57 AM
(11-01-2015 01:51 PM)cactus Wrote:  Every time I open a fortune cookie, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Yes, this was actually written for me specifically."

When I'm trying to fall asleep, I have to be completely covered with blankets from the neck down. If my foot is exposed, the pervading thought of a hand trying to grab my ankle puts me into a mild panic mode.

...and this one is the most embarrassing for me:
I subconsciously give the microwave oven about a second "for the radiation to dissipate" before I open it; my brain has apparently decided that's how long it takes for all those photons to escape from my food. lol

From my own experience, I know that the indoctrination into belief is a very powerful thing. Those of us who have been raised in an atmosphere where the existence of God and of a spiritual world is taken for granted and is not questioned have been conditioned to believe. After I learned to think critically about things, I still had "residual" thoughts that were very powerful--though they gradually lost their power to be persuasive.

The mind needs exercise just like the body in order to become healthy. One of the best maxims that I have come across is "question your assumptions".

We do not have experiences in a vacuum. They are interpreted from a certain mind-state and, whether you are a believer or a non-believer, your experiences reinforce your beliefs.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
18-01-2015, 07:46 PM
(17-01-2015 06:38 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've been that way with the mircrowave before

I used to do a stepping thing where when walking over cracks of sidewalk blocks I would try to equal my times of my right foot going over it with my left foot going over. And if i stepped on the crack once with my right foot I'd try to even that out by intentionally doing so with my left foot... because...

I do a funny thing with the microwave. Sometimes I might stop the microwave before the time runs down to zero because the food is cooked sooner than I thought it would be. Say there's 20 seconds left on the microwave timer, I sort of "save" that time, like time has stopped or something. Like 20 seconds of my life are still on the time clock.

I donno, it's weird and hard to explain. I'm kinda nutty. Chase

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-01-2015, 09:47 AM
(11-01-2015 01:51 PM)cactus Wrote:  Every time I open a fortune cookie, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Yes, this was actually written for me specifically."

They still make fortune cookies? All the "fortune cookies" I have opened lately are more like wannabe inspirational statements. Dodgy

Sorry. Tangent. Carry on.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post