Irreducible complexity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Irreducible complexity
Just wondering if you guys have any ideas on the concept of irreducible complexity.

Example is that there are three proteins required in a cells flagellum the removal of any of them would cause the flagellum to not function.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2012, 07:23 PM
RE: Irreducible complexity
Actually removal of some proteins does not cause the flagellum to cease functioning. There is a YouTube video with Ken Miller from Brown University and he touches on this. He was one of the main witnesses in the Kitzmiller V Dover case. He is also a theist so he disproves the idea that you have to be an Atheist to "believe" in evolution.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
21-03-2012, 07:25 PM
This argument has been approached and debunked many times, but there will be more examples in the future more than likely.

First thing to remember, if we don't know something like how something came about, that speaks more of our lack of knowledge on something (the human race, ignorant! Who knew?) and says nothing that an intelligence made it.

not that related, but he does mention it (and I like c0nc0rdance):

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
21-03-2012, 07:28 PM
C0nc0dance rocks! He is an excellent resource.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
21-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Irreducible Complexity ironically always reduces to goddidit. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-03-2012, 07:50 PM
(21-03-2012 06:52 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Just wondering if you guys have any ideas on the concept of irreducible complexity.
It is a clutching at straws epiphany for some theists of the gaps.

They obviously see science as a strong threat to their theology.

On the up side though, given the question, the scientists looked and solved the gaps.
21-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Hadn't seen c0nc0rdance before, just added him and will have a look at some of his vids later.

I have always seen irreducible complexity as the theists last attempt at beating the tide of evidence building against their beliefs, trying to beat science with science (if you can call it that).

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
22-03-2012, 05:17 AM
C0nc0rdance is awesome but he has been having problems recently with creationist/pro circumcision wazzocks false flagging him with DMCA's so look at his videos now while he still has them up there Sad

Irreducible Complexity can be translated as 'my brain hurts when I think about this so I try not to'. Its just another example of creationists willful mispresentation of the facts, and then completely disregarding any evidence that may contradict them

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
22-03-2012, 05:22 AM
OK, thanks for the heads up.

I have a slightly different translation, Irreducible complexity = Bollocks. (in the interests of being succinct)

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Eternal's post
22-03-2012, 07:02 AM
(21-03-2012 07:58 PM)Eternal Wrote:  I have always seen irreducible complexity as the theists last attempt at beating the tide of evidence building against their beliefs, trying to beat science with science (if you can call it that).

We can only hope, but I'll not be betting on it being their last attempt.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post