Is AA a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2015, 12:02 AM
RE: Is AA a religion?
(25-03-2015 06:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 06:06 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Goddamn I hope that is permanent.

When you move higher up the ladder, you too will be able to ban people permanently or partially.........somethig to look forward to.Thumbsup

I wouldn't even make me a mod lol. Besides I only say that because now you have to slip your "boohoo poor me, censorship censorship! Myyyyy reeeeeeep! wah wah wah! " nonsense into someone else's thread which, while still idiotic, is much better then seeing a new thread on the same subject every single bloody month/week.
You just can't seem to help yourself so I guess the mods have to do it for you. You know....people might come to like you better when your not constantly doing that so maybe it's a good thing for everyone?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2015, 12:38 AM
(26-03-2015 12:02 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 06:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  When you move higher up the ladder, you too will be able to ban people permanently or partially.........somethig to look forward to.Thumbsup

I wouldn't even make me a mod lol. Besides I only say that because now you have to slip your "boohoo poor me, censorship censorship! Myyyyy reeeeeeep! wah wah wah! " nonsense into someone else's thread which, while still idiotic, is much better then seeing a new thread on the same subject every single bloody month/week.
You just can't seem to help yourself so I guess the mods have to do it for you. You know....people might come to like you better when your not constantly doing that so maybe it's a good thing for everyone?
Thank you. I have forwarded my unreserved resignation to the administrator.
Rest assured this is my last post.
I have no desire to force myself upon a private club of this nature.
26-03-2015, 01:48 AM
AA is a cult. The best exposition of what AA is are the Orange Papers. Here is a link to the paper on why AA is a cult: http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult_a0.html

The 5 to 10 % recovery rate of AA only corresponds to the rate of spontaneous recovery from alcoholism. That is the percentage of people who recover each year without any treatment at all and without even AA. The 5-10% recovery rate is even sadder when you realize how few alcoholics actually engage in AA.

The problem with AA is that it clouds the issue of alcoholism at a time when science is making advances in understanding alcoholism and addiction and there are now drugs which do actually treat alcoholism and which are already being licensed in some countries over just the last two years.
26-03-2015, 10:03 AM
New article: http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arch...us/386255/

One cockroach at a time.
[+] 1 user Likes Billy Bob's post
26-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I just noticed this thread but the topic is near and dear to my heart. I have a number of people in my life who got sober thanks to AA. People who have now been sober for decades.

I don't know if it works for most people but it has worked wonders for the people in my life. I go to a few anniversary celebrations every year and, while there is religion in the meetings I'm familiar with, It's not overwhelming. I find it's more about the community and the support they give each other.

Different strokes and all, but I've got nothing but good feelings about AA. They have done wonders for some people I love.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
26-03-2015, 02:42 PM
(26-03-2015 12:36 PM)BnW Wrote:  I just noticed this thread but the topic is near and dear to my heart. I have a number of people in my life who got sober thanks to AA. People who have now been sober for decades.

I don't know if it works for most people but it has worked wonders for the people in my life. I go to a few anniversary celebrations every year and, while there is religion in the meetings I'm familiar with, It's not overwhelming. I find it's more about the community and the support they give each other.

Different strokes and all, but I've got nothing but good feelings about AA. They have done wonders for some people I love.

Alcoholism is a complex health issue. A lot of people get sober each year with or without counselling but there are about 3 million people around the world who die from it each year and AA does nothing for them. A lot of people just do stop drinking because they are not as ill as others and it has absolutely nothing to do with AA. Alcoholism of the sort that actually kills people is a serious chemically and biologically determined road to death. If someone is able to avoid that road, then they are not medically "alcoholic". It's great that your friends/loved ones are well but that doesn't detract from the real issue of AA or alcoholism, that AA doesn't stop people who are in danger of death from dying from this illness and, as a pervasive and widespread "hoax", for want of a better word, it detracts attention and funding away from real scientific advances in the treatment of alcohol and addiction.
26-03-2015, 04:48 PM
(26-03-2015 12:38 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(26-03-2015 12:02 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I wouldn't even make me a mod lol. Besides I only say that because now you have to slip your "boohoo poor me, censorship censorship! Myyyyy reeeeeeep! wah wah wah! " nonsense into someone else's thread which, while still idiotic, is much better then seeing a new thread on the same subject every single bloody month/week.
Thank you. I have forwarded my unreserved resignation to the administrator.
Rest assured this is my last post.
I have no desire to force myself upon a private club of this nature.

See you in a few days to a couple weeks Woof, and thank you for proving my point for me. I really do appreciate that.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
21-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Tongue RE: Is AA a religion?
Now I'm back on the booze, after a 20 month stint with AA, I came across some interesting stats---------------
In the U.S a pint is 425 mls (0.9 std drinks) here in Oz a pint is 468mls (1.6 std drinks)
while in S. Australia it's the same as the American version, with 470 mls equalling an imperial pint.............bit confusing for those trying to watch their drinking!Confused