Is AA a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 02:11 PM
RE: Is AA a religion?
(03-11-2014 01:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  One of the problems I have with AA is its claim that alcoholism is an illness.
They see it as a mental illness along with an allergy.
Normal drinkers (normies) even heavy drinkers, are held not to have this illness.
This artificial division makes for some dangerous drinkers thinking they are pretty normal, and some pretty normal drinkers thinking they suffer from alcoholism.
There are many other questionably cultish issues besides....

"The modern disease theory of alcoholism states that problem drinking is sometimes caused by a disease of the brain, characterized by altered brain structure and function. The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections. "

So, there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-11-2014, 02:38 PM
(03-11-2014 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 01:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  One of the problems I have with AA is its claim that alcoholism is an illness.
They see it as a mental illness along with an allergy.
Normal drinkers (normies) even heavy drinkers, are held not to have this illness.
This artificial division makes for some dangerous drinkers thinking they are pretty normal, and some pretty normal drinkers thinking they suffer from alcoholism.
There are many other questionably cultish issues besides....

"The modern disease theory of alcoholism states that problem drinking is sometimes caused by a disease of the brain, characterized by altered brain structure and function. The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections. "

So, there's that. Drinking Beverage

Hummm. I wonder, can scientists see the difference in brain scans between an alcoholic and a non alcoholic? Brain scans are amazing these days, very detailed.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
03-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Interestingly, alcoholism is being treated with very low doses of LSD. This treatment appears to have an astonishing success rate. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Fuck. Now I wish I drank. I want some "medical" LSD!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
(03-11-2014 01:40 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 04:47 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Describing me:
From your negative rep of me:

Few others I don't have the time to dig through atm and find. It's kinda the only response you ever have to me actually, even when you down reped Zeke just for up repping me you implied it. /shrug
I don't actually mind though, doing it even ONCE is hypocritical as hell, but I kinda figured you were projecting before and now I'm chuckling at how correct that hypothesis was haha.

Anyway is this really the point of the thread?

AA can work for some people and some people it just can't. The bigger problem I have on it is how inappropriately it's tied to the courts.

AI.R. was referring to me.
'Moron' expressed in anger.
Don't be so sensitive!

I was not being "sensitive" before, your opinion does not mean much to me at all. I don't mean that in a rude or dismissive way it's just 90% of the things I have seen you form an opinion about are about rep so I haven't given it much thought to your opinion as rep is a proverbially unimportant obsession I don't share.

That said I don't believe for a damn second you were talking about yourself, you have called me a drunk before and you didn't clarify it when I called you out on it at the time. That comment was not an isolated incident it fit well and nicely in the pattern of discourse you have made for yourself in the past.

Anyway I pointed out your flagrant hypocrisy (which was meant as more a light ribbing then an inquisition even if you deserve it) because it amused me, not because it upset me, and then you asked me to give examples which I did. Nothing more, nothing less.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
(03-11-2014 03:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Fuck. Now I wish I drank. I want some "medical" LSD!!

Atheist founder Bill W used L.S.D. for quite some time.
Claimed he was looking for more insight , in order to help the alcoholics.Consider
03-11-2014, 03:26 PM
(03-11-2014 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 04:47 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The bigger problem I have on it is how inappropriately it's tied to the courts.

A lot of people in AA have a problem with that, too. Drinking Beverage

Oh ya, definitely that goes without saying. It's a rather strange partnership that's for sure. Honestly I wish AA had a much higher success rate as there are plenty of really supportive and well intentioned people filling up the ranks.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
03-11-2014, 03:32 PM
(03-11-2014 03:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 01:40 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  AI.R. was referring to me.
'Moron' expressed in anger.
Don't be so sensitive!

I was not being "sensitive" before, your opinion does not mean much to me at all. I don't mean that in a rude or dismissive way it's just 90% of the things I have seen you form an opinion about are about rep so I haven't given it much thought to your opinion as rep is a proverbially unimportant obsession I don't share.

That said I don't believe for a damn second you were talking about yourself, you have called me a drunk before and you didn't clarify it when I called you out on it at the time. That comment was not an isolated incident it fit well and nicely in the pattern of discourse you have made for yourself in the past.

Anyway I pointed out your flagrant hypocrisy (which was meant as more a light ribbing then an inquisition even if you deserve it) because it amused me, not because it upset me, and then you asked me to give examples which I did. Nothing more, nothing less.

" My name is Woof and I am a recovering alcoholic"..and that's that! (AIR.)
03-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Yes it is....

They believe that by phoning a certain number, and paying a shit load of cash, a miracle will happen and your broken down car will no longer be broken down.

If you're not British, you won't know what I'm on about...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-11-2014, 03:57 PM
(03-11-2014 03:48 PM)Sam Wrote:  Yes it is....

They believe that by phoning a certain number, and paying a shit load of cash, a miracle will happen and your broken down car will no longer be broken down.

If you're not British, you won't know what I'm on about...

Sounds like AAA this side of the pond.

[Image: aaa.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post