Is AA a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 04:03 PM
RE: Is AA a religion?
(03-11-2014 03:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 03:48 PM)Sam Wrote:  Yes it is....

They believe that by phoning a certain number, and paying a shit load of cash, a miracle will happen and your broken down car will no longer be broken down.

If you're not British, you won't know what I'm on about...

Sounds like AAA this side of the pond.

[Image: aaa.png]

Really?

Its just called AA here.

Caused me great confusion when I broke down and was arrested for drink driving.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
04-11-2014, 12:53 AM
(02-11-2014 04:33 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 04:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It would be interesting to compare the more theistically slanted AA groups to the non-theistic AA groups and see what the recovery rate is for each or if it's the same.

Over all the AA stats aren't very good at all, accept for those who seem to become sort of addicted to the program.

according to Penn & Teller the success rate for AA is 5%, the success rate without AA is 5% as well

so the claim that AA works is BULLSHIT!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
04-11-2014, 07:03 AM
(04-11-2014 12:53 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 04:33 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Over all the AA stats aren't very good at all, accept for those who seem to become sort of addicted to the program.

according to Penn & Teller the success rate for AA is 5%, the success rate without AA is 5% as well

Seriously? According to Penn and Teller? Are you fucking serious?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
04-11-2014, 10:12 AM
(04-11-2014 07:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 12:53 AM)Ace Wrote:  according to Penn & Teller the success rate for AA is 5%, the success rate without AA is 5% as well

Seriously? According to Penn and Teller? Are you fucking serious?

I like Penn and Teller but where did they get their information from?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-11-2014, 03:24 PM
(04-11-2014 10:12 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  Seriously? According to Penn and Teller? Are you fucking serious?

I like Penn and Teller but where did they get their information from?

Even AA admits to a very low success rate unless the alcoholics keep coming back to meetings. They demand total abstinence as they see alcoholism as a chronic and fatal illness.
Any rigid testing would be difficult as it requires cooperation and honesty.
04-11-2014, 03:49 PM
(04-11-2014 03:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 10:12 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I like Penn and Teller but where did they get their information from?

Even AA admits to a very low success rate unless the alcoholics keep coming back to meetings. They demand total abstinence as they see alcoholism as a chronic and fatal illness.

Even doctors admit a very low success rate unless the diabetics keep taking their insulin.

Think 'treatment', not 'cure'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-11-2014, 03:59 PM
(04-11-2014 03:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 03:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Even AA admits to a very low success rate unless the alcoholics keep coming back to meetings. They demand total abstinence as they see alcoholism as a chronic and fatal illness.

Even doctors admit a very low success rate unless the diabetics keep taking their insulin.

AA see itself more as a fellowship than as a cure.
There is some debate at meeting as to whether' recovering alcoholic' or 'recovered alcoholic' is the most appropriate term.
04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
(04-11-2014 03:59 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 03:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  Even doctors admit a very low success rate unless the diabetics keep taking their insulin.

AA see itself more as a fellowship than as a cure.
There is some debate at meeting as to whether' recovering alcoholic' or 'recovered alcoholic' is the most appropriate term.

I've heard this argument too, just semantics.
I always thought that if nothing else, just stick with step 10 and you'll probably do ok.
04-11-2014, 04:15 PM
(04-11-2014 04:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 03:59 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  AA see itself more as a fellowship than as a cure.

I've heard this argument too, just semantics.
I always thought that if nothing else, just stick with step 10 and you'll probably do ok.

So many arguments, cliches, dogmas, (suggestions) power plays etc I think I'll take a break.............~~Step 4 preferred~~Yes
04-11-2014, 04:25 PM
My buddy was contemplating AA and asked someone he knew who was into it. His friend insisted he go to the meetings and that was the only way he would ever be able to control himself. So, my buddy tried a couple of meetings but it was depressing to him and it kind of just made him want to drink.

Well, my buddy went ahead and decided to do it on his own. He did it and was sober for 13 years. During that time, his friend he originally consulted, became irate and completely unsupportive of him! He kept telling my buddy that he'll fall off the wagon and that he was just lying to himself thinking he could do it alone. I couldn't believe it!

I later found out this person was very prone to addictive behavior - he's all into new age woo and such. What a dip.

I say you go Woofy! Do it yourself if you have to. Thumbsup

My buddy reports: he loves the clarity with which he lives his life - he feels in control and is happier being sober than being controlled by a chemical his body can't handle. He realized that is really all it is... and that's why some people can handle it and some people just can't.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post