Is AA a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 04:41 PM
RE: Is AA a religion?
(04-11-2014 04:25 PM)kim Wrote:  My buddy was contemplating AA and asked someone he knew who was into it. His friend insisted he go to the meetings and that was the only way he would ever be able to control himself. So, my buddy tried a couple of meetings but it was depressing to him and it kind of just made him want to drink.

Well, my buddy went ahead and decided to do it on his own. He did it and was sober for 13 years. During that time, his friend he originally consulted, became irate and completely unsupportive of him! He kept telling my buddy that he'll fall off the wagon and that he was just lying to himself thinking he could do it alone. I couldn't believe it!

I later found out this person was very prone to addictive behavior - he's all into new age woo and such. What a dip.

I say you go Woofy! Do it yourself if you have to. Thumbsup

My buddy reports: he loves the clarity with which he lives his life - he feels in control and is happier being sober than being controlled by a chemical his body can't handle. He realized that is really all it is... and that's why some people can handle it and some people just can't.

I see some good in AA.
In the worst case scenario, there are a lot of control freaks,and many suffering from conditions other than alcoholism. Too much emphasis on alcohol per se may lead to the ignoring of even more pressing issues..........
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
I rather like the 1st and 2nd steps of AA which relate to receiving assistance from a higher power. The alcoholic need not turn to any conventional god or prescribed dogmas. Simply; in order to be helped spiritually/psychologically to deal better with the problem, one turns to a possible metaphysical source for the good.
This does not have to be 'known', simply hoped for and felt and a good many alcoholics feel that this attitude works for them. The fact that the beleifs may be imaginary does not really matter if substantive material benefits are made.
05-11-2014, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 04:39 PM by pablo.)
(05-11-2014 03:36 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I rather like the 1st and 2nd steps of AA which relate to receiving assistance from a higher power. The alcoholic need not turn to any conventional god or prescribed dogmas. Simply; in order to be helped spiritually/psychologically to deal better with the problem, one turns to a possible metaphysical source for the good.
This does not have to be 'known', simply hoped for and felt and a good many alcoholics feel that this attitude works for them. The fact that the beleifs may be imaginary does not really matter if substantive material benefits are made.

That's called the placebo effect.
Also the reason I think step 10 is good is because it is one of the few steps that doesn't require a god.
It asks you to self-improve.
08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
(05-11-2014 04:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 03:36 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I rather like the 1st and 2nd steps of AA which relate to receiving assistance from a higher power. The alcoholic need not turn to any conventional god or prescribed dogmas. Simply; in order to be helped spiritually/psychologically to deal better with the problem, one turns to a possible metaphysical source for the good.

That's called the placebo effect.
Also the reason I think step 10 is good is because it is one of the few steps that doesn't require a god.
It asks you to self-improve.
Perhaps placebo!
As some AAs believe there just might be a universal force of goodness to be tapped.
That can't be proven scientifically of course.....
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
(02-11-2014 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 04:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yes it is a religion. It is an all encompassing replacement for whatever the former addiction was. It is also one of the least helpful ways to combat addiction.

No, it's not. Some AA groups are quite cult-like and others are quite rational. There is no one AA.

And declaring it to be one of the least helpful, we would have to know its success rate.

The Big Book is largely AA's Bible.
There is a God ,albeit a personal one. (steps 2-3.)
There is a confession (step 5)
A turning to God regularly for help.
Not all that rational, and that's the basics.

If it look like a religion and smelsl like a religion then it probably is one!
09-11-2014, 04:13 PM
(09-11-2014 03:29 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it's not. Some AA groups are quite cult-like and others are quite rational. There is no one AA.

And declaring it to be one of the least helpful, we would have to know its success rate.

The Big Book is largely AA's Bible.
There is a God ,albeit a personal one. (steps 2-3.)
There is a confession (step 5)
A turning to God regularly for help.
Not all that rational, and that's the basics.

If it look like a religion and smelsl like a religion then it probably is one!

Except it explicitly isn't. So, there's that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2015, 03:32 PM
I'm interested to see this thread here though I see it's been a while since anyone posted.
There were a lot of people in the church I attended who were suffering from or had recovered from drink and/or drug problems and anonymous programmes became a bit of a pet topic of conversation.
Some had left NA/AA groups and were using the church to help with their recovery. Some of them were very anti AA/NA with the more religious considering it to be a demonic cult that went against their faith.
Here is a link to a blog on helping christians leave AA groups

If you take time to look into the history of AA you'll find that it has very little to do with cessation of drinking/drugging and could be seen as a religious conversion programme.
Here's some AA history and how one of it's co-founder Bill Wilson channeled spirits to write the 12 steps, used LSD throughout his sobriety and was an incorrigible womaniser
Bill Wilson and early AA

A direct answer to your question "Is AA a religion?" - according to the US court system - Yes. The US Justice system is starting to accept AA as a religious programme with some seeing court ordered attendance at AA meetings a breach of 1st amendment rights.
Barry Hazle was awarded $1.9 million after being court ordered to the programme

If you take a brief look at the AA programme; practically all information comes from one source - the somewhat outdated Alcoholics Anonymous 'big book', the programme consists of surrender, confession of defects (sins), amends/apology/forgiveness and reaching out to the still suffering addict/alcoholic going to places such as prisons, rehabs and detox units to recruit new members - sound familiar?

Anyone looking for help with an drink or drug problem might think twice before attending an anonyomous group especially if they have already had issues with belief in a god or higher power (as AA calls it) there are an increasing number secular, scientific evidence based programmes out there nowadays.
Like evangelicals with their threats of hell and eternal damnation the worst of AA promises you a life of jails, instutions and death if you don't "do the steps or die!"

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
[+] 3 users Like Nieko Sx's post
12-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Hi... My name is onlinebiker and I'm an asshole................

oooopsss....

sorry...

Wrong meeting...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-03-2015, 04:15 PM
(12-03-2015 04:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Hi... My name is onlinebiker and I'm an asshole................

oooopsss....

sorry...

Wrong meeting...

That group meets on Friday, I'm the chair. Smile
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
12-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Quote:That group meets on Friday, I'm the chair. Smile

Do you sign court slips? Confused

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -