Is American Evolution Education Good Enough? (Teachers and Professors Only Please)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Is American Evolution Education Good Enough? (Teachers and Professors Only Please)
As a teacher or professor, what is your experience with evolution education at the high school level? Do you think that students are adequately prepared for college-level science courses? What do you think about the level of critical thinking skills that students have upon arriving at college? What could be done to better prepare students in these areas?

Thank you! This is for a project! I would like teachers and professors because I feel as though they have first-hand experience in this subject.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2014, 04:49 AM
RE: Is American Evolution Education Good Enough? (Teachers and Professors Only Please)
(23-04-2014 08:23 PM)carasaurus_wres Wrote:  As a teacher or professor, what is your experience with evolution education at the high school level? Do you think that students are adequately prepared for college-level science courses? What do you think about the level of critical thinking skills that students have upon arriving at college? What could be done to better prepare students in these areas?

Thank you! This is for a project! I would like teachers and professors because I feel as though they have first-hand experience in this subject.

I'm not a professor (yet), but you might find this useful

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186...ltext.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2014, 09:22 PM
RE: Is American Evolution Education Good Enough? (Teachers and Professors Only Please)
I would say that my students have an adequate understanding of evolution. I don't dance around the topic, and bring it up quite often during the year. We focus quite a bit on the misconceptions of evolution--such as what the definition actually is, how inaccurate the 'evolution of man' picture is. A lot of time is also spent on natural selection and what drives it. I also talk about VARIATION and mutation often, often, often. I have posters hanging up that depict human evolution. I use a PBS video clip series on evolution and several other human evo videos. TED lectures are also beneficial for teaching evolution.

I also like to get into sci-fi type discussions with them--ask they how technology will influence human evolution in the future. They really like this.

At the very beginning of the year we talk about what a scientific theory is and what a scientific law is. I guarantee around 75% of adults cannot accurately define these two basic words.

I try to press them to bring up their 'ideas' about evolution, but usually my high school students dont like to rock the boat too much. However, my middle school students like to regurgitate the stuff their parents and religious people have pressed into them. We make some headway on these a little at a time.

Now, I can definitely guarantee you that many of my colleagues do not go this in depth. You wouldn't believe how many 'science' teachers have told me they dont teach evolution because they dont understand it enough or dont believe in it or dont think its needed.

If you have more specific questions, ask away!
Find all posts by this user