Is American football catching on across the pond?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Is American football catching on across the pond?
I know the NFL plays a lot of games in London every year as well as football video games really catching fire in Europe. Just wondering if it's inevitable that London will be an expansion team.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2015, 08:09 PM
RE: Is American football catching on across the pond?
(04-10-2015 07:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know the NFL plays a lot of games in London every year as well as football video games really catching fire in Europe. Just wondering if it's inevitable that London will be an expansion team.

The logistics of it are a nightmare and frankly there was not enough interest to keep a european league operational when they tried it 10-15 years ago. I would doubt London will be getting a permanent team any time soon.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
04-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Well, now that England have been unceremoniously dumped out of their own world cup (in the proper game) maybe they'll be depressed enough to have a go at lesser sports.

Angel

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
05-10-2015, 06:36 PM
(04-10-2015 10:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, now that England have been unceremoniously dumped out of their own world cup (in the proper game) maybe they'll be depressed enough to have a go at lesser sports.

Angel

I know you're trolling, but people who don't like AF simply don't understand the game. I felt the same away about hockey and rugby until I made an attempt to learn and appreciate the game. Now, I enjoy both.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-10-2015, 07:03 PM
I don't think anyone has that strong of an arm.

I'm waiting for either robot or mutated creature sports though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
06-10-2015, 03:24 AM
Sport is the new opiate of the masses old bean. No one is interested in Europe because the football and rugby religions have been pouring money and resources into convincing their acolytes that they matter for decades. Unless your religion starts pouring in resources in a similar way, it won't catch on.

People in US go to watch American Football for same reason people in UK got to watch soccer - see their team play and hopefully win, or to share in the tragedy of their loss. If people care, then advertising money, sponsorships, bums in seats all come. But people won't care if it's just a bunch of enthusiasts trying to promote it, the American football crowd would have to spend time convincing people that they *love* their local team and that somehow if their local team wins or loses it means something to them. In Europe, soccer has that edge. In US, American Football has it. Without it, no reason for news to report it, no reason for advertisers to sponsor, so no or very slow growth of the sport.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-10-2015, 03:38 AM
(05-10-2015 06:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 10:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, now that England have been unceremoniously dumped out of their own world cup (in the proper game) maybe they'll be depressed enough to have a go at lesser sports.

Angel

I know you're trolling, but people who don't like AF simply don't understand the game. I felt the same away about hockey and rugby until I made an attempt to learn and appreciate the game. Now, I enjoy both.

Or, you know, maybe we just don't like them because even if we do understand them, we simply don't find them appealing. As an introvert, I just don't give a fuck about any team of professional athletes, I just don't get emotionally involved and so I get nothing out of it. Has nothing to do with not understating it. I grew up in Pittsburgh, there simply was no escaping the Steelers or the Penguins; but that doesn't mean I'm invested in them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
06-10-2015, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 06:13 AM by DLJ.)
(05-10-2015 06:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Angel

Obviously I'm trolling. It's my raison d'ĂȘtre.

But you presume too much. When that sport caught on in England (around 15 years ago, for 10 minutes), i took the trouble to learn the rules. So I understand it.

But I guess you mean ... do I understand it? As in, understand the tactics and the passion for it etc. no but then, that goes for AF (Aussie Rules) and the actual FOOTball (soccer, to you) or cricket ... I don't understand those either in the way that I think you mean it.

Or to put it another way, I think you need to have a passion for sport in general to be able to move from learning it to appreciating it.

I am not so made.

However, there are many so made on the old side of the pond. Which means that (appreciation / passion) can't be the only reason why it didn't catch on.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-10-2015, 03:53 AM
It may catch on if the players didn't have to wear a helmet and so much padding. We're more hands-on with our violence in Britain. But then it would have to compete with Rugby.

Presumably Rugby might catch on in America if the players were allowed to play with guns. Or in Canada if they were allowed to play with sticks. Oh wait, that's ice hockey ...
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
06-10-2015, 05:11 AM
I'm hoping it makes the jump over the pond....

But only if it promises not to come back.

Monumental waste of time - football.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post