Is American football catching on across the pond?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 06:06 AM
RE: Is American football catching on across the pond?
(06-10-2015 03:53 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It may catch on if the players didn't have to wear a helmet and so much padding. We're more hands-on with our violence in Britain. But then it would have to compete with Rugby.

Presumably Rugby might catch on in America if the players were allowed to play with guns. Or in Canada if they were allowed to play with sticks. Oh wait, that's ice hockey ...

[Image: latest?cb=20150321013505]

Welcome to America? Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 06:30 AM by Banjo.)
I don't know about in England, but we get bombarded by it in Australia. One sees it on constantly in pubs and clubs on the big screens. And pretty much as far as I can tell nobody is interested at all.

As for me, the only footy I have any interest in at all is Aussie rules. I can barley stand rugby and league is just silly.
In Australia we have 7 states and only 2 have even a passing interest in rugby. Rugby league is the major form of the sport here. But one is lucky to even get 10 thousand people at a saturday afternoon game here. Whereas 50 thousand is quite normal at an aussie rules game.

Apparently the League grand final was played this past weekend and I cannot tell you who won, let alone who played.

So with Aussie rules being the major football game here during winter, and cricket being the major game during summer, I doubt American football with all its padding and helmets and stuff has a ghost of chance.

Baseball may be a different matter entirely. 4 teams visited to put on 2 games last year and sold out in record time. I even tried to get a ticket but was too late. And I rang two days after tickets went on sale!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
lol, I find it humorous and ironic that one of the major complaints from non-Americans about AF is that they wear too much padding and it's not violent enough.

Just seems backwards... shouldn't we be the ones wanting it to be more violent?

But yeah, from what I can tell (may be wrong), but if AF didn't have the padding it did, there would be at least one quadriplegic or death a week.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-10-2015, 09:20 AM
(06-10-2015 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol, I find it humorous and ironic that one of the major complaints from non-Americans about AF is that they wear too much padding and it's not violent enough.

But yeah, from what I can tell (may be wrong), but if AF didn't have the padding it did, there would be at least one quadriplegic or death a week.

I generally hear complaints about how it's slow as all hell... then Americans complain about soccer because it's slow as all hell. Both have a point but they are different types of slow.

Soccer is consistent slow action across the huge field but never stopping. American Football has major stops of play every 30-40 seconds along with massive breaks after TDs/Kickoffs/QuarterBreaks. If you don't care to see the 1 play that just happened replayed 2 times or hear the announcer talk about the dinner he had with that stand out young man during the week to learn 1 tidbit about the player, then it's going to be extremely dull and slow.

NFL action is esitmated that the average play is about 8 seconds long, and the entire game has an actual range around 11 minutes of actual playing. So a 60 minute game that takes over 2 hours to watch has just over a 1/6th of the game consisting of the ball being in play.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-10-2015, 09:49 AM
(06-10-2015 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol, I find it humorous and ironic that one of the major complaints from non-Americans about AF is that they wear too much padding and it's not violent enough.

We learnt it from the Romans. Ample amputations and annihilation in the amphitheatre; less murder and mayhem in the metropolis and less savagery and slaughter in the ... nah ... too soon.

06-10-2015, 09:54 AM

The data are not entirely clear, but there's at least as much evidence that it increases risk because it allows harder collisions. Or, at least, shifts the risk and damage, from direct trauma or fractures to cumulative joint and particularly cranial damage.

... this is my signature!
06-10-2015, 10:04 AM
(06-10-2015 09:20 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I generally hear complaints about how it's slow as all hell... then Americans complain about soccer because it's slow as all hell. Both have a point but they are different types of slow.

Soccer is consistent slow action across the huge field but never stopping. American Football has major stops of play every 30-40 seconds along with massive breaks after TDs/Kickoffs/QuarterBreaks. If you don't care to see the 1 play that just happened replayed 2 times or hear the announcer talk about the dinner he had with that stand out young man during the week to learn 1 tidbit about the player, then it's going to be extremely dull and slow.

NFL action is esitmated that the average play is about 8 seconds long, and the entire game has an actual range around 11 minutes of actual playing. So a 60 minute game that takes over 2 hours to watch has just over a 1/6th of the game consisting of the ball being in play.

Yeah I have heard that about it as well. Can't remember who it was, Robbie Coltrane perhaps, but a comedian did a Tv series once about his travels around America. He went to an Af match and after all the hype and pageantry when the game started it he grew so utterly bored. Apparently it's something you need to watch drunk.

Soccer can be boring when both teams are not able to score but the tension can be quite high because a goal at any time be seconds away with the game changing so quickly. But it's still a spectator sport so of little interest to me unless Germany are playing in a the world cup.
06-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Instead of a game where you need to crash into one another when tackling to get the ball, why not have one where you need to trip people up or throw them instead. That would be awesome.
07-10-2015, 12:23 AM

When you are used to people playing rugby without pads then it a bit strange to suggest they play the game with pads and helmets.

There seems to be lots of ad breaks, and little actual continuous play.

The reason why I don't like rugby league is that it is so damn repetitive. As soon as they get tackled then play stops, the teams form a line and come together again, a tackle is made play stops then teams form a line and come together again, a tackle is made...

Grid Iron also has this Rugby League repetitive like quality to it. They get all excited when they make 10 yards forward. Talk about a snail crawl.

At least with Rugby, they run at each other, when a tackle is made they then have to fight for control of the ball, the game continues and then possibly some more running play happens. When rugby is properly ref'd then you can have continuous play of several minutes. (This doesn't generally happen in Europe, but it happens alot in the southern hemisphere).

Aussie Rules is just weird, short tight pants, running and bouncing the ball, and kicking between four posts. I don't understand that sport.
07-10-2015, 12:55 AM
I followed NFL back when the Dallas Cowboys where the old stuff. Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith was quite amazing. But then it sort of disappeared of my radar (possibly of danish television all-together) So when I started to get interested again a few-ish years ago i was quite bored with all the pauses that makes the game drone on for far too long. I find NBA much more interesting to watch.

I do like to watch soccer too but it suffers as I tend to watch it alone, and that gets boring. I guess that's the stick about team sports. You get together with your buddies to scream and shout when things goes well/bad for your team.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post