Is American football catching on across the pond?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 01:15 AM
RE: Is American football catching on across the pond?
(07-10-2015 12:23 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol, I find it humorous and ironic that one of the major complaints from non-Americans about AF is that they wear too much padding and it's not violent enough.

Just seems backwards... shouldn't we be the ones wanting it to be more violent?
When you are used to people playing rugby without pads then it a bit strange to suggest they play the game with pads and helmets.

Especially when children get taught to play it at school without padding or helmets. And you know how nasty children can be.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2015, 02:54 AM
American football is all about the atmosphere. Tailgating and friends. You socialize/hit the bathroom between plays. I could never watch it by myself. Rum and coke or a four pack of mini wine bottles sitting out on the fraternity lawn at 9 am pre gaming - ah the memories. Now I bring a six pack of some sorta craft beer to a party and skip the stadium. Although I haven't caught a game this season - I've worked every weekend and have slept through them.

I bring buffalo chicken dip with celery and tortilla chips to game day parties. If I'm hostessing I'll also make a sausage rotel dip while the guys grill hot dogs and hamburgers. Yum.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
07-10-2015, 04:08 AM
(06-10-2015 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol, I find it humorous and ironic that one of the major complaints from non-Americans about AF is that they wear too much padding and it's not violent enough.

Just seems backwards... shouldn't we be the ones wanting it to be more violent?

But yeah, from what I can tell (may be wrong), but if AF didn't have the padding it did, there would be at least one quadriplegic or death a week.

I don't think I have ever considered it any of those. {Not that I consider it at all} I believe a player can be tackled while in mid air? This is highly dangerous and disallowed in all forms of rugby. As far as I know.
Muff's or Steve probably have a better understanding than I and can explain it better.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Did you know there is an average of 11 minuets of actual play in an NFL game. You are pretty much watching hours of commercials, replays, and people standing around with sometimes very short moments of something exciting happening.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-10-2015, 06:51 AM
(07-10-2015 09:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Did you know there is an average of 11 minuets of actual play

I thought we were talking about ball games, not ballrooms.

Huh

08-10-2015, 12:56 PM
(08-10-2015 06:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 09:26 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Did you know there is an average of 11 minuets of actual play

I thought we were talking about ball games, not ballrooms.

Huh

Come on now, you probably get more action from a ballroom than you would an NFL game.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-10-2015, 08:24 PM
What pond?
15-10-2015, 08:50 PM
As a fan of the real football i can give a list of reasons why it wont catch on.

It is to American. It`s identety is branded as American whilest football hasnt got a single identety but various identeties coming from various communities arround the world. Be it German clockwork, Dutch Total Football, Brazilian jogo bonito, Spanish Tiki Taka, The embaressing Mexican optimism, Italian Defensive Calcio, Greek Bus parking, Argentine cheekyness, Nigerian dancing, English sorrow, Ivorian optimism or Ghanean excitement - there is no such thing as a determined cultural identety of the sport but many different ones as the sport integrated throughout the world communities. American football cant do that because it`s destinctively American.

No promotion or religiation. I support a club that is in the second division of German football. I`ll explain that system to you, there isnt one league with 20 clubs, instead there are arround 9 different leagues which all have 20 clubs in them. from bottom to the top the best 3 clubs each year get promoted into a higher league whilest the worst 3 get religated into a lower league. And the best club in the top league can considere itself the best of the best in the country without a shadow of a doubt. You dont have that.

Franchises I support FC St. Pauli, Athletico Bilbao and FC Liverpool. FC St. Pauli is a politicaly leftwing club from the port city of Hamburg that is majority owned by it`s fans. Athletico Bilbao is a club in the Spanish league which is 100% owned by it`s fans and has dedicated itself to being an institution that celebrates Basque culture in Spanish football. Liverpool... If you have never heard of Anfield, the Kopp, the club and it`s amazing history and at least not admire them a little bit then your not human.
All of that cant exist in the NFL, your Franchises are owned by billionaires and only billionaires can set up a franchise. Here anyone and everyone can set up a club and potentialy rise to the top ranks.

Franchising Sports in Europe is totaly different to sports in the US. A club here is deeply tied to it`s community. Most clubs even represent certain cultures or political ideologies and are grounded deeply within the community where the stadium and club stands. In the NFL your franchises are repeatedly ripped out of a city and placed somewhere else for profit. This was only done once in Europe with FC Wimbeldon in a buisness model that tried to copy the NFL in English football. The result was resentment that has now continued for over 10 years and has forced all parties involved to repeatedly appologise.

I have tried watching the NFL so many times. The sport may be exciting when getting used to it.

but where is your version of Real Madrid? Barca? Athletico Bilbao? Celtic Glasgow? Bayern München? Borrusia Dortmund? Hamburg St. Pauli? Liverpool? Man United? Arsenal? Totenham Hotspurs? Chelsea FC?

Sports in Europe is mostly about tribalism, local culture and even political aligiance.

As long as the NFL doesnt understand that, it wont have success here.

Watch any documentary on the old firm derby between Glasgow Rangers and Celtic Glasgow if you want to know what I am talking about.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
15-10-2015, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015 09:10 PM by ClydeLee.)
(15-10-2015 08:50 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  As a fan of the real football i can give a list of reasons why it wont catch on.

It is to American. It`s identety is branded as American whilest football hasnt got a single identety but various identeties coming from various communities arround the world. Be it German clockwork, Dutch Total Football, Brazilian jogo bonito, Spanish Tiki Taka, The embaressing Mexican optimism, Italian Defensive Calcio, Greek Bus parking, Argentine cheekyness, Nigerian dancing, English sorrow, Ivorian optimism or Ghanean excitement - there is no such thing as a determined cultural identety of the sport but many different ones as the sport integrated throughout the world communities. American football cant do that because it`s destinctively American.

No promotion or religiation. I support a club that is in the second division of German football. I`ll explain that system to you, there isnt one league with 20 clubs, instead there are arround 9 different leagues which all have 20 clubs in them. from bottom to the top the best 3 clubs each year get promoted into a higher league whilest the worst 3 get religated into a lower league. And the best club in the top league can considere itself the best of the best in the country without a shadow of a doubt. You dont have that.

Franchises I support FC St. Pauli, Athletico Bilbao and FC Liverpool. FC St. Pauli is a politicaly leftwing club from the port city of Hamburg that is majority owned by it`s fans. Athletico Bilbao is a club in the Spanish league which is 100% owned by it`s fans and has dedicated itself to being an institution that celebrates Basque culture in Spanish football. Liverpool... If you have never heard of Anfield, the Kopp, the club and it`s amazing history and at least not admire them a little bit then your not human.
All of that cant exist in the NFL, your Franchises are owned by billionaires and only billionaires can set up a franchise. Here anyone and everyone can set up a club and potentialy rise to the top ranks.

Franchising Sports in Europe is totaly different to sports in the US. A club here is deeply tied to it`s community. Most clubs even represent certain cultures or political ideologies and are grounded deeply within the community where the stadium and club stands. In the NFL your franchises are repeatedly ripped out of a city and placed somewhere else for profit. This was only done once in Europe with FC Wimbeldon in a buisness model that tried to copy the NFL in English football. The result was resentment that has now continued for over 10 years and has forced all parties involved to repeatedly appologise.

I have tried watching the NFL so many times. The sport may be exciting when getting used to it.

but where is your version of Real Madrid? Barca? Athletico Bilbao? Celtic Glasgow? Bayern München? Borrusia Dortmund? Hamburg St. Pauli? Liverpool? Man United? Arsenal? Totenham Hotspurs? Chelsea FC?

Sports in Europe is mostly about tribalism, local culture and even political aligiance.

As long as the NFL doesnt understand that, it wont have success here.

Watch any documentary on the old firm derby between Glasgow Rangers and Celtic Glasgow if you want to know what I am talking about.

There are plenty of things slightly wrong but most of it is right.For instance the Green Bay Packers are owned by their fans. So no it's not with other clubs but it's not entirely outsted. It's not the same as the potential new growth of a grassrooted fan owned team like AFC Wimbledon though, sure.

A lot of the lure & fandom style is actually EXACTLY the devotion College Football & (in the south/eastcoast) HighSchool Football. You ask where is your Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barc, etc. That's Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc. Except they have to lie and cover up when they pay for the top tier talents coming to play for them. The emotional-tribal and direct connection to the club love comes in that environment instead of the professional ones. Are you at a liberal school? Are you from the Midwest/South? There is seperate league divisions that mean a ton in the system from the South-Eastern Confrence/Big Ten(Midwest) Pac12-(west coast.) There's other changes too, are you a Christian school like BYU, TCU, Notre Dame? Different. Notre Dame and Boston College also have fans of Irish/Catholic heritage because of the school is that way. That's where culture & Heritage influences fandom.

But yeah the Euro-American Football league of the late 90s, early 2000s fizzled because there is no attachment there. The clubs were generic & stood for nothing and most teams didn't even have any consistency year to year.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson