Is Atheism a Choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2014, 08:18 AM
RE: Is Atheism a Choice?
I think I might have said this before and I don't know where it comes from but...
A rational mind does not choose what to believe. It is forced to accept that which is supported by evidence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
09-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Belief is not a choice. If it was, you could choose to believe the opposite of your current belief or lack of belief. You can choose to practice something opposite to your belief, but you cannot choose to change the belief itself. You can also choose whether to pursue truth or to remain complacent in your belief without real knowledge. That's as far as it goes.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-08-2014, 12:39 PM
(08-08-2014 10:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  I never cared enough one way or the other about religion until I took a closer look at it. At that point I had to choose what I believed. I picked atheism.
I disagree. You chose to look at them more closely and then simply were an atheist because it's what made the most sense to you. Could you really have chosen to believe in a god?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-08-2014, 12:49 PM
We are the cosmos. A flowing ocean of interacting particles and waves... We move as one; choice is likely all together illusory.
09-08-2014, 12:55 PM
(09-08-2014 12:49 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  We are the cosmos. A flowing ocean of interacting particles and waves... We move as one; choice is likely all together illusory.
Did you choose to say that? Consider Wink

09-08-2014, 01:26 PM
(09-08-2014 12:39 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 10:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  I never cared enough one way or the other about religion until I took a closer look at it. At that point I had to choose what I believed. I picked atheism.
I disagree. You chose to look at them more closely and then simply were an atheist because it's what made the most sense to you. Could you really have chosen to believe in a god?

Are we talking about making a choice, or what the definition of the word "choice" is?

If I have no choice then is it predetermined by some outside force that I will be atheist?
Is it just a feeling in my soul that atheism is right for me?
If I believe decisions like this are already within me, or made for me by an outside force, then I am not an atheist.
The word choice is then meaningless.
09-08-2014, 01:45 PM
(09-08-2014 01:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 12:39 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I disagree. You chose to look at them more closely and then simply were an atheist because it's what made the most sense to you. Could you really have chosen to believe in a god?

Are we talking about making a choice, or what the definition of the word "choice" is?

If I have no choice then is it predetermined by some outside force that I will be atheist?
If I believe decisions like this are already within me, or made for me by an outside force, then I am not an atheist.

In your "soul"? Wtf is that?
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
09-08-2014, 01:54 PM
(09-08-2014 01:45 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 01:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  Are we talking about making a choice, or what the definition of the word "choice" is?

In your "soul"? Wtf is that?

yep, zackly! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-08-2014, 02:06 PM
(08-08-2014 10:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 10:26 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Belief is not a choice. Belief does not work like that. I CANNOT CHOOSE to believe in something, just because I want to, or someone says it is a good idea. I CANNOT CHOOSE to suddenly believe that Santa is real and presents are going to magically appear under my tree this year. It does not work like that. Belief does not work like that and only a delusional, retarded FOOL would think or even try to attempt to argue otherwise. If you are thinking of arguing this I will ignore you.

So, what makes anypony think that a lack of belief is any different? Are you CHOOSING to not believe in the tooth fairy?

Basically, this is the same exact argument that Atheism is based on faith. Which it is not, you are just wording it differently "hence" the hostility from this post right now.

I'm not sure who this is directed at but since it came just after me...
I never cared enough one way or the other about religion until I took a closer look at it. At that point I had to choose what I believed. I picked atheism.

No, you chose to call yourself an atheist. You did not choose to not believe in the supernatural. If you still believe in the supernatural you are something else.

Choosing to call yourself something and actually being that are not the same. You did not Choose to be an atheist, you said that you took a closer look at it. You agreed with it and decided to call yourself that.

You already had the lack of belief and thus regardless of whether or not you decided to call yourself one, you already were.

For example, I can suddenly come out and tell everyone here that I am a Taoist. Does that mean I actually believe any of whatever it is they do? No, it just means I chose to call myself that. I cannot CHOOSE to believe in whatever they do. Belief and lack there of does not work like that.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 05:48 PM by Stevil.)
Making a choice to believe is making a choice to be close minded.

To believe in X you must wave your hands at the possibility of Y.

Belief is recognition that there are multiple possibilities (e.g. X or Y) but choosing to disregard Y, most likely because you optimistically (faith) prefer X.

It is wishful thinking.