Is Atheism a Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2013, 02:58 PM
RE: Is Atheism a Religion.
(20-08-2013 05:36 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 05:17 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Atheism is a religion like not-collecting stamps is a hobby.

Atheism simply states that you do not believe in God.
Period.
That is all folks.
Nothing to see here.

Nowhere does atheism include anything about evolution or where things came from or whatever.

The only Non-Religion is Agnoticism. Since neither Theists
or Atheists can prove or disprove the existence of God - both
are Religions and require a Leap of Faith. Some Philosophers
believe that God exists by reason of his own necessity. But
you can go round and round with that - much like Theism
and Atheism.

Wow! Here's the "proof" thing again. I'll admit that you have approached it from a nicely confusing angle! "Some Philosophers
believe that God exists by reason of his own necessity."

But, rather than ask you to explain why that's a more important idea than, say, " Some philosophers believe that: "Building huge phallic symbols (look it up) will make communities more fertile." I will simply ask you what the hell you are talking about? Try to follow me:

I believe that strands of spaghetti are conspiring to strangle every human on the face of the earth! I believe that aliens created spaghetti and genetically altered it to achieve domination of the earth! So, we have to address and combat the spaghetti threat! Spaghetti is going to kill us and we have to address the threat!

Now it's your turn! Prove to me that I am wrong! I triple dog DARE you! Prove to me that spaghetti is not the most deadly threat humanity has yet to, or will ever face!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2013, 04:55 PM
MERGED THREADS. OP, CUT THE CRAP WITH THE MULTIPLE THREADS ABOUT THE SAME THING.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 7 users Like kingschosen's post
01-12-2013, 08:42 PM
(21-08-2013 01:44 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There are almost 300 replies (mostly angry) to my comment that Atheism is a Religion. I'll make a final comment and then let the chips fall where they may.
There are unanswerable questions such as : Where did everything come from ?
Why is there something versus nothing ? No one invokes Fairies, the Easter Bunny or the Spaghetti Monster to answer those questions. Some believe that the only possible answer is a Supreme Consciousness. Some believe that the only possible answer is 'something' no one knows about yet. Since the existence or non-existence of God is an unanswerable question, it certainly requires a Leap of Faith to take either position. To the Reader who claims that no one has cured Cancer through the power of the Mind - he certainly is correct. I don't know of anyone who has done that. In an episode entitled "Is there a Sixth Sense" on 'Through The Wormhole' with Morgan Freeman - It was mentioned that in double-blind and repeatable experiments, something unexplainable is going on with the Human 'Mind'. Test Subjects asked to guess wether the Experimenter was holding a picture behind a wall guessed correctly 50% of the time - what you get from random chance. BUT - when the pictures were sexually explicit and erotic, people guessed correctly between 52 to 53 % of the time. A statistically significant difference. Einstein once remarked: "ESP if it does exist is a small invective force and has no practical value". So, although I know of no one who has cured Cancer with the Mind, I believe (yes, I did use the word believe) that the Buddhists are correct in striving for a healthy Body and Mind through clean living and Transcendential Meditation. To those who strongly believe in the non-existence of a Supreme Consciousness (Mind), I respect your Faith. I'd like to close this rambling monologue with a quote from Physicist John Wheeler when he commented on sub-atomic particles being waves and not points when they are not being observed. "Someone must be observing the Universe".

I don't buy your lies that you are a Rationalist, and Agnostic, or a Buddhist.

I call bullshit.

You are a theist shill spouting the usual snake oil bullshit.

Go the fuck away.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
I do not believe in unicorns or dragons. Why is that not considered a leap of faith? Why is my a-unicorn-ism not considered a religion? Why should my dismissal of a god be any different from my dismissal of fairies?
[+] 4 users Like natachan's post
01-12-2013, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 11:57 PM by EvolutionKills.)
Between Raptor Jesus and cjlr, I have nothing more to add. Carry on folks. Drinking Beverage

That being said, I'm waiting for the sales pitch. Will it be a self-help book? A series of seminars? 'Miracle' water? Yoga pants? Consider

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
02-12-2013, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 01:53 AM by Adrianime.)
Is this thread dead? Well if it isn't.

OP, from what I'm seeing you have put a whole bunch of weight on the concept of god. You find it a significant concept that cannot be dismissed without thorough proof against it (or proof towards the things that you think a god might be responsible for). Maybe a good comparison might be...I don't know, gravity. You feel it would be silly to just discount gravity and say it does not exist! You feel it is much safer and more logical to conclude that you just don't know whether or not gravity exists. Which of course both stances are stupid, but hopefully my point is making sense.

What I'm getting at is..you are looking at the god concept like it is plausible..like gravity. While I (and possibly many other atheists) look at the god concept not like a gravity type claim, but more like a fairy/dragon/demon type claim. I personally see no difference between the claim of god and the claim of a fairy/dragon/demon. You think unanswered questions make the claim plausible? There is a name for that argument, and I'm pretty sure everybody here knows it Wink.

Also...this is my own question, anybody can feel free to answer. But is there such thing as a religion that isn't taught or followed? For instance I was born an atheist, and I have always been one. I didn't get the chance to talk to other atheists until I was over the age of 20. So...how can atheism be a religion if it has no teachings? On the other side of the coin, theism and deism in their purest forms are not religions.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-12-2013, 02:17 AM
(02-12-2013 01:43 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  On the other side of the coin, theism and deism in their purest forms are not religions.

Deism, possibly. Theism, no. The theistic god of classical monotheism is entirely built upon the various religions, denominations, and their interpretations.

02-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Deism is a subset of theism. A belief in a deity could be completely self defined, in that case the belief would not always be religious.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-12-2013, 03:08 AM
(02-12-2013 02:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Deism is a subset of theism. A belief in a deity could be completely self defined, in that case the belief would not always be religious.

If anything, theism is a subset of deism. The deistic god simply set the universe in motion and hasn't been seen or heard of since. It is simpler, makes less assumptions. The theistic good is far more specific, makes far more assumptions (and is likewise fare less probable).

I would argue that even 'self defined' gods are inherently religious. The only difference between an imaginary friend, a cult, and a religion, is how many people buy into it; but the core belief remains the same.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-12-2013, 08:50 AM
(02-12-2013 03:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The theistic good is far more specific, makes far more assumptions (and is likewise fare less probable).

I would argue that even 'self defined' gods are inherently religious. The only difference between an imaginary friend, a cult, and a religion, is how many people buy into it; but the core belief remains the same.
I can't really debate with deists lol.. i don't know what their concept of God or spirituality is it really depends on the person.

Whereas you can pinpoint a religious belief easily because of the religion people adhere to.