Is Atheism a Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
RE: Is Atheism a Religion.
(21-08-2013 01:44 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There are almost 300 replies (mostly angry) to my comment that Atheism is a Religion. I'll make a final comment and then let the chips fall where they may.
There are unanswerable questions such as : Where did everything come from ?
Why is there something versus nothing ? No one invokes Fairies, the Easter Bunny or the Spaghetti Monster to answer those questions. Some believe that the only possible answer is a Supreme Consciousness. Some believe that the only possible answer is 'something' no one knows about yet. Since the existence or non-existence of God is an unanswerable question, it certainly requires a Leap of Faith to take either position. To the Reader who claims that no one has cured Cancer through the power of the Mind - he certainly is correct. I don't know of anyone who has done that. In an episode entitled "Is there a Sixth Sense" on 'Through The Wormhole' with Morgan Freeman - It was mentioned that in double-blind and repeatable experiments, something unexplainable is going on with the Human 'Mind'. Test Subjects asked to guess wether the Experimenter was holding a picture behind a wall guessed correctly 50% of the time - what you get from random chance. BUT - when the pictures were sexually explicit and erotic, people guessed correctly between 52 to 53 % of the time. A statistically significant difference. Einstein once remarked: "ESP if it does exist is a small invective force and has no practical value". So, although I know of no one who has cured Cancer with the Mind, I believe (yes, I did use the word believe) that the Buddhists are correct in striving for a healthy Body and Mind through clean living and Transcendential Meditation. To those who strongly believe in the non-existence of a Supreme Consciousness (Mind), I respect your Faith. I'd like to close this rambling monologue with a quote from Physicist John Wheeler when he commented on sub-atomic particles being waves and not points when they are not being observed. "Someone must be observing the Universe".

Really? Someone **must** be observing? (shakes head)
[Image: HeadShake.gif]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Someone IS observing the universe. It's human beings.
02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
(02-12-2013 09:25 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Someone IS observing the universe. It's human beings.

LOL but that's not what he meant. (hence the head shaking) LOL

02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
(01-12-2013 08:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...
I don't buy your lies that you are a Rationalist, and Agnostic, or a Buddhist.

I call bullshit.

You are a theist shill spouting the usual snake oil bullshit.

Go the fuck away.

Thanks Taq for the necro.

Everyone else... you are debating someone who long gone the fuck away.

Drinking Beverage

02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
(02-12-2013 03:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 02:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Deism is a subset of theism. A belief in a deity could be completely self defined, in that case the belief would not always be religious.

If anything, theism is a subset of deism. The deistic god simply set the universe in motion and hasn't been seen or heard of since. It is simpler, makes less assumptions. The theistic good is far more specific, makes far more assumptions (and is likewise fare less probable).

I would argue that even 'self defined' gods are inherently religious. The only difference between an imaginary friend, a cult, and a religion, is how many people buy into it; but the core belief remains the same.

I disagreeeeeeeee.

Theism is broader than deism...deism is a subset of theism.

Theism = the belief in the existence of any deity (one or many).
Deism (I'll use your def)= the belief in a god that simply set the universe in motion and hasn't been seen or heard of since.

A religion is not just a belief, it is a collection of practices, stories, teachings, dogma, and scripture.

I just woke up...too tired to write more sorry.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-12-2013, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 10:18 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(02-12-2013 09:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 08:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...
I don't buy your lies that you are a Rationalist, and Agnostic, or a Buddhist.

I call bullshit.

You are a theist shill spouting the usual snake oil bullshit.

Go the fuck away.

Thanks Taq for the necro.

Drinking Beverage

Actually, BA showed up yesterday. I did miss, however, that this was an old thread when I was looking into back posts to try and figure out what this person's "angle" was re: claiming to be a "buddhist" who believes in a "gawd", returned and confused it with the similarly-titled thread he/she posted yesterday. My bad...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
(02-12-2013 10:14 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 09:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks Taq for the necro.

Drinking Beverage

Actually, BA showed up yesterday. I did miss, however, that this was an old thread when I was looking into back posts to try and figure out what this person's "angle" was re: claiming to be a "buddhist" who believes in a "gawd", returned and confused it with the similarly-titled thread he/she posted yesterday. My bad...

Yo- pumpkin - I posted in both threads too.
derrrr
LMAO

Heart

02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
(20-08-2013 05:36 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  The only Non-Religion is Agnoticism. Since neither Theists
or Atheists can prove or disprove the existence of God - both
are Religions and require a Leap of Faith. Some Philosophers
believe that God exists by reason of his own necessity. But
you can go round and round with that - much like Theism
and Atheism.

That's not how atheism or agnosticism work. The terms aren't mutually exclusive. I know it's been explained a bunch of times already, but here's a picture:

[Image: Fm0yK.jpg]

Stop talking about gnostic atheists like they are the only type of atheist. It's intellectually dishonest.

/thread.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
(02-12-2013 10:28 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 10:14 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Actually, BA showed up yesterday. I did miss, however, that this was an old thread when I was looking into back posts to try and figure out what this person's "angle" was re: claiming to be a "buddhist" who believes in a "gawd", returned and confused it with the similarly-titled thread he/she posted yesterday. My bad...

derrrr
LMAO

Heart

And (s)he also posted the same Dr Bronner's Soap Rant thread twice, under the same title. Want some may with that SPAM?

02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
(02-12-2013 10:28 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 10:14 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Actually, BA showed up yesterday. I did miss, however, that this was an old thread when I was looking into back posts to try and figure out what this person's "angle" was re: claiming to be a "buddhist" who believes in a "gawd", returned and confused it with the similarly-titled thread he/she posted yesterday. My bad...

derrrr
LMAO

Heart

And (s)he also posted the same Dr Bronner's Soap Rant thread twice, under the same title. Want some mayo with that SPAM?