Is Atheism irreversible ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Is Atheism irreversible ?
My Theist best friend likes to parrot his preachers anti atheism rants.

And keeps claiming Atheist by the thousands are converting around the world, and all atheists instinctively cry out god's name when in despair..

It is true that I curse god when i stub my toe, and i also cry out fucking fuck fucker (who i'm pretty sure is not a documented deity).

It got me thinking that an Atheist born of choice, could no more find religion then convince themselves the color red is now blue.
Obviously genuine evidence of god would convert us all overnight.

is there any examples of prominent atheists losing their logic

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
24-10-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: Is Atheism irreversible ?
K Cameron Esq. claims it.

Christees like to put them on TV shows Weeping

I don't know that you can really say that for sure unfortunately. Any number of things might cause one to change one's mind. We only hang onto sanity by a thread anyway... or at least *I* do...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Peter Hitchens, Christopher's brother claims that he converted from atheism to theism

I think it's only possible when someone is "atheist" for wrong reasons, i.e. claiming atheism because he is angry at god. This is where theists claim "atheist are only angry at god" possibly comes from.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
24-10-2013, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 02:50 PM by sporehux.)
I'd consider an actual atheist as someone who choose the term for them selves after finding theism nonsensical.
usually via a long engagement with agnosticism + general rational skepticism, debunker of conspiracy theories /alien/ghost stories

Someone who just didn't acknowledge the christian god, cannot say i was an atheist ,and then I found jebus.,

seems Peter Hitchins come down with a bad case of Pascall
" Peter said his return to Christianity was a process over many years. He writes about a moment in his journey back to faith when, as an atheist, he genuinely feared God.
It was when he gazed on Rogier van der Weyden's painting "The Last Judgment," which shows the terror on the faces of those condemned to Hell.
"They've obviously just heard the last trump," Peter said. "And one of them was actually vomiting with fright."
"And it just came through that I might be judged. And I was scared. I still am," he revealed. "One of my reasons for my change is that I am scared. But then again, "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
24-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I feel like I remember someone setting out to prove there was no god and then finding god along this journey. But it may have been the reverse I can't remember for sure.
I don't like to call people weak minded or unintelligent (not uneducated but just can't seem to grasp that education), but I cannot think of another way to describe people who genuinely believe whatever other people tell them to believe. If we exclude these people, the I do not believe atheism can be reversed. Although, near death experiences can really change people sometimes.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
24-10-2013, 04:18 PM
(24-10-2013 02:31 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I think it's only possible when someone is "atheist" for wrong reasons, i.e. claiming atheism because he is angry at god. This is where theists claim "atheist are only angry at god" possibly comes from.

I agree on this point, someone who was mad at god, and in defiance started calling themselves an atheist (while still really believing in god) could easily go back.

As far as someone born an atheist, and never indoctrinated or told much about religions, I suppose they'd be as susceptible as someone who could get sucked into any cult. Atheist doesn't always mean rational. (I want to point out this does not include the "always an atheist" folks who are well aware of religions falsities)

I'd be willing to bet that those reconverted from a religion, or atheists who have learned about religion in an indoctrination-free manner, are MUCH less likely to become a theist.
24-10-2013, 04:26 PM
I think it's possible, but I think it's likely such people are exaggerating when it comes to the numbers. I don't think it's that common. I have personally known people who have though, and usually, it's in difficult circumstances involving coping with things like rape and sexual abuse, in which case, it's a coping strategy. I don't understand how it happens, but it seems to happen sometimes.

That being said, I think there are many atheists in foxholes. Certainly, not every atheist becomes a theist when faced with hard times.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2013, 04:29 PM
It grates on my nerves when I hear people like Kirk Cameron talk about what a huge atheist he wss. He was a kid raised in a non-religious home.

That isn't the same as arriving to atheism based on your own conclusions. Mommy and daddy not taking you to church doesn't make you atheist. My oldest son came to atheism on his own, it's unlikely he will be swayed. He's got little tolerance for the churchy types telling him he's going to hell. He doesn't care to know anything about religion because he feels most are just hypocrites anyway.

They pray begging for forgiveness and do it again anyway.

I've been faced with some pretty horrible shit...not once have I considered prayer a viable answer.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Antony Flew, writer and atheist professor of high esteem became a believer of sorts in his latter years.

He co edited a book relevant to this with a more fundamentalist Christian......some hard line atheists claim he had become senile.Consider
24-10-2013, 06:51 PM
It's a cultural satisfaction to say Jesus h Christ when stubbing the toe. I bet Christies get urges to say swears sometimes, cuz what else can you say when you feel that way? Big Grin

The question is, is knowing truth reversible? Denying it might happen, maybe... But it either is or isn't.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post