Is Atheism irreversible ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2013, 11:19 AM
RE: Is Atheism irreversible ?
(27-10-2013 11:11 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 11:06 AM)Chopdoc Wrote:  Lee Strobel also claims to have converted from atheism. It's like those christian rockers who praise god for saving them from horrible drug addiction, etc. Makes for a great testimony for the sheep.

And maybe he did convert from being an atheist. It would be a moot point really. I can imagine the conversation would go like this, "Well if he did convert from being an atheist, he probably wasn't a very strong atheist. His critical thinking is probably weak."

On the flip side to the coin:

"Well maybe he did convert from being a christian, but he wasn't a TRUE christian. Anyone who is a true christian would never stray from jesus if they were strong in their walk with him!"

Maybe he uses it as a selling point as an argument from authority or appeal, or maybe he really did. Point is, doesn't matter. What is important is why and analyzing the thought process to understand it.

Why indeed. Strobel is a professional christian. Those people's motives are always suspect.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 11:38 AM
(27-10-2013 11:19 AM)Chopdoc Wrote:  Why indeed. Strobel is a professional christian. Those people's motives are always suspect.

Isn't it sad that it can be considered a job title? Laughat Ah man it makes me sad. I pretty much see that stuff like snake oil anymore. Everyone wants some and people slurp it up if it looks professional enough. Same thing with the youtube videos. Make them all shiny and polished like the people they oppose and people will assume they have some credibility. Sad.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
27-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Paul Ricoeur's concept of the second naivete may be a reason, if there is one, for someone returning to a faith or taking up a new one.

http://www.exploring-spiritual-developme...coeur.html

I think that, under normal circumstances and without emotional trauma or something debilitating happening, once a person begins to think critically they won't give that up to return to a faith doctrine. And of course there are exceptions.
28-10-2013, 10:21 AM
(24-10-2013 02:17 PM)sporehux Wrote:  It got me thinking that an Atheist born of choice, could no more find religion then convince themselves the color red is now blue.
Obviously genuine evidence of god would convert us all overnight.

Sadly, people can convert in either direction. Sometimes it's a fast transition, and sometimes a slow one. For example, people will frequently get strong, profound feelings. Some people call these feelings "endorphines" and some call them "Jesus". If a person feels like something is missing in their lives, they will fill it with the first thing that makes them feel better (heh heh). I can think of several people that I know personally that were agnostic/atheist for some point, only to start talking all spiritual out of no where.

A lot of times, people that get "spiritual" and become Christian are more likely to take a less than literal interpretation of the Bible.

(24-10-2013 02:17 PM)sporehux Wrote:  It is true that I curse god when i stub my toe, and i also cry out fucking fuck fucker (who i'm pretty sure is not a documented deity).

You have discovered the true, secret name of YHWH, which is not mentioned in the Bible. So, you are actually calling out to God. Few people know his true name.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
28-10-2013, 08:07 PM
In response to Peter's remark "as an atheist, he genuinely feared God". Atheists don't believe in God so what would there have been to fear? Peter let a painting influence his judgement? Did he for one moment consider who hired the artist to scare the bejesus out of everyone, and to what end? No. Peter has been a shadow of his brilliant brother Christopher. Even to claim that Christopher became a theist as he lay dying is BS. Peter will never measure up to his brother and he knows it and will say anything to prove otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
28-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I think that an Atheist who arrived at that description of self can claim to have become a believer. In times of great stress it's understandable that a person may feel that they would be better off to have a higher power, god, whatever to turn to. Cults are often able to lure people in by knowing what to say and what to provide to people who are vulnerable. As a kid, when I started to come to the conclusion that the whole Christian thing was bullshit I still thought that people HAD to believe in something. That is what set me on the path to studying other religions and other belief systems. I think even with those that haven't taken the Atheist or Agnostic label there is a 'fake it till you make it' mentality because the pressure of the people around you is so great to part of the whole religion thing.

There are people out there that wear the Christian label because to do otherwise would cause so much trouble for them in their lives. Just following along to not upset things. If you could get the truth out of many people, the numbers of those that aren't totally convinced in the belief system they follow would be staggering to the believers that really buy into the myths. And I think you can see proof of this in nearly every deconversion story.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy