Is Atheism just another religion under guise of "non-religion"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2017, 01:34 AM
RE: Is Atheism just another religion under guise of "non-religion"?
(13-02-2017 01:29 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

A 'Geg' is kind of like a 'Gug'.

.Just slightly less nightmare-ish, grabby and slavering.

Thumbsup

Ah, I see. They should be careful to not run afoul of any universe spawning Norks, I hear they can be quite abrasive. Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2017, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 01:58 AM by Robvalue.)
I think we can all agree that the answer to the titular question is "no". Not even a little bit.

Some people may decide to slap the word onto what they are doing, but that's just down to them. It's irrelevant to virtually everything. Whether you act in a dogmatic or preachy way has nothing to do with whether you are an atheist or not. There are of course religious atheists (some Buddhists for example), but they are simply atheists that are also something else. And there are non-preachy religious people who just let others get on with things.

It makes me sad when some religious people are so used to being handed down dogma by fiat that they can't imagine anyone being any other way, so they assume atheists must get their marching orders from someone.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
13-02-2017, 02:09 AM
(13-02-2017 01:54 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  It makes me sad when some religious people are so used to being handed down dogma by fiat that they can't imagine anyone being any other way, so they assume atheists must get their marching orders from someone.

Indeed that is tragically common, that myopic view of the world. The assumption that everyone is either on your team or a competing team is so ingrained in some, that the very thought that others don't even play the game is somehow unfathomable.

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-02-2017, 04:24 AM
(13-02-2017 02:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 01:54 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  It makes me sad when some religious people are so used to being handed down dogma by fiat that they can't imagine anyone being any other way, so they assume atheists must get their marching orders from someone.

Indeed that is tragically common, that myopic view of the world. The assumption that everyone is either on your team or a competing team is so ingrained in some, that the very thought that others don't even play the game is somehow unfathomable.

Congratulations, the two of you together appear to have been the first to successfully come up with a better explanation of "why I don't believe your bullshit" than the famous Stephen F. Roberts "when you understand why you disbelieve all those other possible gods" quote.

Teamwork. Awesome! (No joke.)

Thumbsup

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
13-02-2017, 04:32 AM
(13-02-2017 04:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Congratulations, the two of you together appear to have been the first to successfully come up with a better explanation of "why I don't believe your bullshit" than the famous Stephen F. Roberts "when you understand why you disbelieve all those other possible gods" quote.

Thumbsup

[Image: 65050645.jpg]

Tongue

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-02-2017, 02:39 PM
(13-02-2017 04:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 02:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Indeed that is tragically common, that myopic view of the world. The assumption that everyone is either on your team or a competing team is so ingrained in some, that the very thought that others don't even play the game is somehow unfathomable.

Congratulations, the two of you together appear to have been the first to successfully come up with a better explanation of "why I don't believe your bullshit" than the famous Stephen F. Roberts "when you understand why you disbelieve all those other possible gods" quote.

Thumbsup

The sad thing here mate, is that they are no longer on speaking terms. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.