Is Atheism just another religion under guise of "non-religion"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2017, 09:37 AM
RE: Is Atheism just another religion under guise of "non-religion"?
(15-01-2017 05:56 PM)psikeyhackr Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 04:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Atheism is the rejection of the unevidenced claims of theists.

It is not a belief.

Is that clear enough for you?

It is just such a pity that a rejection is not a PROOF. Laugh out load

psik

psikey’s life in a gif

[Image: chasing-tail-1.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
20-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Although everything is nothing more than a belief, there are grounded and well rounded beliefs based on functioning patterns and repeatable outcomes in contrary to beliefs based on legends and ancient books.

Atheism means the rejection of beliefs based on bullshit.

"The possible ranks higher than the actual."

- Martin Heidegger
[+] 5 users Like Praying Birds's post
20-01-2017, 10:53 AM
(20-01-2017 10:41 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Although everything is nothing more than a belief,

Everything is based on our presuppositions. The trick is to minimize the number of presuppositions that we make when we interpret our reality.

On a base level, we presuppose that our senses are accurate and that the reality we experience is "real". We maintain that presupposition until our senses prove to be inaccurate.

(20-01-2017 10:41 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  there are grounded and well rounded beliefs based on functioning patterns and repeatable outcomes in contrary to beliefs based on legends and ancient books.

You are essentially describing science versus religion.

(20-01-2017 10:41 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Atheism means the rejection of beliefs based on bullshit.

Atheism means lacking a belief in god(s). No reasons for that lack are covered in the definition.

You can be atheist for multiple reasons, and what constitutes a good or bad reason varies from person to person.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
20-01-2017, 10:58 AM
(20-01-2017 10:41 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Although everything is nothing more than a belief, there are grounded and well rounded beliefs based on functioning patterns and repeatable outcomes in contrary to beliefs based on legends and ancient books.

Atheism means the rejection of beliefs based on bullshit.

I would distinguish between "belief" and "best guess according to the available evidence" but that's just semantics. You're right, it's still "belief", but of a very different nature.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-01-2017, 02:46 PM
(15-01-2017 02:48 PM)psikeyhackr Wrote:  Back in the 60s, when I decided I was an agnostic, it meant a person that believed the non-existence of any God.

Therefore it was a Belief that could not be proven even if there were/is no God.

But my dictionary had a stupid definition of agnostic back in the day. It said: "a person that believes it is impossible to know whether or not any God existed".

So by agnostic I simply mean that I do not know.
That "stupid definition" you mention is the original definition of "agnostic" promulgated by Huxley. Modern agnostics do not generally require that you believe knowledge about god is Unobtanium, but only that you personally don't know. Which is how you identified. Gnosis = knowledge; an Agnostic lacks knowledge or more exactly, does not make a knowledge claim. This is a wise position with respect to invisible deities, because no legitimate knowledge position CAN be taken concerning a being who is inherently unfalsifiable as posited.

For this reason I personally regard the original definition of agnosticism to be far from "stupid". Neither theists nor atheists can make honest, literal knowledge claims about the existence of invisible supernatural beings and realms.

That is why I am an agnostic atheist. I don't make a knowledge claim either way, but seeing no reason to afford belief to a thing that is both unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatable, I don't. Atheism describes my belief position; I do not believe.
(15-01-2017 02:48 PM)psikeyhackr Wrote:  But atheism is a Belief about a negative.
No it is a lack of belief in something wholly unsupportable, unsubstantiated, and un-evidenced. Lacking a knowledge claim as I do, there is no "negative" assertion I'm making.

But even if there were, it would not be a problem. I'm sure you believe the sky is not red, that the earth is not flat, and that today is not a day in June.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
25-01-2017, 09:25 AM
So, some people have a notion that the universe originated in some fashion. That's part of their thoughts, same as lots of other things in their life. Why define oneself in relation to one particular aspect of one's world view or personality? I don't believe in comic book heroes. Someone, somewhere might. Why would I define myself as an "acomicbookheroist"?

Richard Dworkin addressed this in an interview I saw on Youtube. If theism doesn't enter into one's thoughts from one day to the next, then why define oneself with reference to it?

I see a mountain out my window. I believe it is there. Am I a mountainist? If I don't know that there is a mountain because I never looked out my window, am I an "amountainist"? What is belief? I believe tomorrow will come? I must be a "tomorrowist"? We all need to define ourselves in terms of something do we?

I am not an atheist...I'm a cyclist? Is that a religion?
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
25-01-2017, 09:33 AM
There is no coherent definition of the meme pronounced "gawd".
Until there is, the notion is *dismissed*.
No proof needed or possible until there is a definition.
There isn't.
The end.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-01-2017, 09:35 AM
(25-01-2017 09:25 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  So, some people have a notion that the universe originated in some fashion. That's part of their thoughts, same as lots of other things in their life. Why define oneself in relation to one particular aspect of one's world view or personality? I don't believe in comic book heroes. Someone, somewhere might. Why would I define myself as an "acomicbookheroist"?

Richard Dworkin addressed this in an interview I saw on Youtube. If theism doesn't enter into one's thoughts from one day to the next, then why define oneself with reference to it?

I see a mountain out my window. I believe it is there. Am I a mountainist? If I don't know that there is a mountain because I never looked out my window, am I an "amountainist"? What is belief? I believe tomorrow will come? I must be a "tomorrowist"? We all need to define ourselves in terms of something do we?

Cyclists don't threaten children with eternal torture for not cycling.
25-01-2017, 10:06 AM
(25-01-2017 09:25 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  So, some people have a notion that the universe originated in some fashion. That's part of their thoughts, same as lots of other things in their life. Why define oneself in relation to one particular aspect of one's world view or personality? I don't believe in comic book heroes. Someone, somewhere might. Why would I define myself as an "acomicbookheroist"?

Are you really this naive? Consider

Religions are a major social and political force in this world, comic book fans are not.

And, no, I do not define myself by my atheism, it is merely one aspect of who I am.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-01-2017, 10:20 AM
(28-12-2016 11:12 PM)Disciple 21x Wrote:  Is atheism just a religion of nonreligion?

Is not playing golf a sport?

Is bald a hair color?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces